U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,540,863 times

Advertisements

I was born, and grew up, in Cleveland but have not lived there for 22 years. Both my parents, and three of my four grandparents were born and spent there lives in Cleveland.

In spite of this history, I do not consider Cleveland my home nor do I hope to ever return there apart from an occasional visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,347,632 times
My grandfather, born in 1906 in Italy, immigrated with my great grandfather to work on the Erie Canal in NYS. They ended up settling in Rochester, NY where my grandfather was a crane operator. My parents still live in Rochester, but I've moved all over the place. I'll most likely never move back, but it will always be home.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,993,667 times
My family moved from the Carolinas to North Philly in the early 1900's and have been here ever since.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,134,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't live there now but I'm from the Philadelphia area (Bucks/Montgomery County) where some of my ancestors have lived since colonial times. The earliest immigrant was in 1702, he was my 7th great grandfather so that's 10 generations, I believe. My family still live there and I plan to move back eventually.
Interesting. On my mother's side I am (supposedly) the direct descendant of the first French immigrant to Philadelphia. His name was Jacques-Louis Garrigues and arrived in 1701. He was nicknamed 'the immigrant' by the locals.
So perhaps we're related!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 AM

8,937 posts, read 13,707,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Interesting. On my mother's side I am (supposedly) the direct descendant of the first French immigrant to Philadelphia. His name was Jacques-Louis Garrigues and arrived in 1701. He was nicknamed 'the immigrant' by the locals.
So perhaps we're related!
I doubt it, I don't have any confirmed French ancestry in my tree. The ancestor I mentioned was a German Mennonite - actually, the first Mennonite Bishop in the Americas: Jacob C. Gottschalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They were/are a tight knit community and only married other Mennonites, almost always other Germans.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM

56,849 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Parents moved from Mississippi and South Carolina in the early-mid 1960's to Syracuse. Before that, on my father's side, my great or great-great grandmother came to Syracuse in the early 1920's from Mississippi.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM

956 posts, read 1,778,446 times
Only one, since my parents moved to Chicago after meeting each other at University of Georgia sometime in the 1970s. Dad's side of the family is from Georgia(one part of it is from central Georgia, and the other is from northeast Georgia, particularly Gainesville), while my mom's family is mainly from both North Carolina and Virginia. My mom's ancestor(s) actually immigrated to America on the Mayflower in the 1600s, and I believe for a time they lived in Rhode Island. Eventually, they moved south to Virginia and North Carolina. My grandmother(deceased since 2007) met my grandfather, who's family was descended from German settlers in western Ohio(Springfield specifically, and as struggling as that town is, I hope it makes a comeback someday).

Myself, I already(long-term) want to live somewhere inbetween the Midwestern and Southern states where I have family, so I've increasingly been looking into places that are inbetween, such as Indinapolis, Cincinnati(leaning towards looking on the NKY side, since COL is cheaper), and Saint Louis. Saint Louis might be slightly tougher to pull off(as it's further from Georgia and states like Virginia), but I could probably make that work as well. Bottom line is, that I just want to ultimately live somewhere with less harsh winters, while still being able to experience all 4 seasons. I enjoy Chicago, but I can't help but feel ready to move on and try living somewhere else.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,487,526 times
Six roughly (within a 10 mile radius or so), going back to the Gold Rush. That's some history by California standards.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 PM

92 posts, read 155,182 times
well mine is a town. my family has lived in the same town for at least 4 generations for sure, all of my great grandparents lived here as adults and i think all or most were born and raised here. beyond them i don't know. once i get to great great grands i know a lot of my family lived in Virginia, and probably other towns and cities in NC and other southern states

Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM

5,971 posts, read 7,341,634 times
My family has been in Pittsburgh since they moved to the USA from Europe 100 years ago. I intend on staying here to live. The lifestyle of moving across the country every so often doesn't appeal to me at all. I prefer to live in a stable neighborhood where you can know your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or