Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM

765 posts, read 2,121,343 times

Advertisements

Given how transient people in this country seem to be, I would be curious to know how many generations people's families have lived in their cities. Should people be more loyal to a place? I myself am a fourth generation Clevelander, and for that reason it will always be home even if I move away. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM

371 posts, read 595,197 times
My dad family didn't even live in my hometown before he married my mother, whose lived here too as well as her parents. But I don't know beyond that.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,186 posts, read 80,329,413 times
You are probably a rare exception, AGuyFromCleveland18. It seems like people are always looking for something better for their family.

My father was born in Portugal, moved to Oakland, then San Bruno, Lafayette, Walnut Creek and Pittsburg (CA). When I moved out I lived in Union City, Oakland, Castro Valley, then here in the Seattle area. My kids were all 3 born in Oakland but have no interest in going back.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,140,168 times
I am a fourth generation San Diegan. My family has never lived anywhere else. I plan on having a family here and keeping it as home for the rest of my life.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,450,329 times
My father's side of his family has lived in Northern California for over 150 years, dating back to the Gold Rush. But as far as my parents go--my dad went to school partly in the same town my grandpa did, they moved around the West Coast a lot as my grandfather worked for Louisiana Pacific lumber company. My mom was born in a Polish neighborhood in Milwaukee(where some relatives stilll live), moved to Atlanta in her early teens, than met my dad when she was in college in Atlanta and he was in the air force, before moving to Taiwan where he was stationed, and then on to California. And we moved around briefly as well, spending four years in Canada.

So while I still have family members in towns around Northern California that live where my grandparents lived or great-grand parents lived, we've spread out all over the place in the last 40 years. However, my father plans on retiring and living right not far from where the first of our family to come to California settled 150 years ago, on the east edge of the Sierra Nevada.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM

721 posts, read 1,787,438 times
My dad's family has lived in Chicago since the 1850's or so. There was a brief stunt in California from the early 1970's to the mid 1980's, but everyone came back except my grandparents, who are back now.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,138,956 times
Zero. My parents are from Wisconsin and Chicago. My older sister was born in Chicago and I was born in Minneapolis (along with my little sister). They are now all in California and I am here. Our new family with my daughter would be the 1st generation, IFF we stay a generation or two.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,771,651 times
My family has lived in East TN since the 1770's. In fact, I am the first person in my family to live outside of the immediate Southeast. I currently live in California. Seeing as how expensive things are out here I'll probably move back at some point.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,735,464 times
After moving all over the place for a couple decades I am right back where I started. Few of the family have been born here, but the family has lived here for 6 generations now. Seems there is a bit of wanderlust in the genes and almost everybody moves away for a bit, gets married, starts a family of their own and then moves back to town. My ancestors cut trees and pulled stumps from what is now Main Street, and had farms in the area 20-25 years before there was any thought of a town here.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,646,028 times
I think moving around is part of the American way. That said, my grandparents on one side were from Minneapolis (their parents were not), then moved away soon after my mother was born; my mother moved back there as an adult, and brought my dad (from CA). I don't know what that makes me, generations-wise. I grew up in Minneapolis, moved away, am now back, and may or may not move away in the coming two months. I'll always feel like Minnesota is one of my "homes," but I also believe that people can have more than one place they consider to be "home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.