U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a place to move when I graduate college, but with so many towns, I have no idea where to go. I want to live in a small, country town. Far enough away from big cities to actually feel the country, but close enough to have a job. No highways or malls or anything like that. A town with a population under 2000. The smaller, the better. A good place to raise children. And any kind of connection with Cherokee Indians. Just a good little country town. I grew up in one, and loved it. And while I'd absolutely love to go back there and raise my children, there are really no jobs available there. So, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by cheergirl2013; 01-30-2011 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM

56,614 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Does it matter as to what part of the country? In my area of NY, you would probably like villages like Tully, Marcellus, Elbridge, Jordan, Fabius, Marathon, Boonville, Sylvan Beach, Cato, Meridian, Dryden and DeRuyter, among others.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 PM

180 posts, read 453,124 times
When I think of Cherokee Indians, the only areas that come to mind are the southern Appalachians and Oklahoma. Both of which have many small towns not too far from larger urban areas for jobs.

I don't know enough about specific towns though to say which are good.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM

56,614 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
When I think of Cherokee Indians, the only areas that come to mind are the southern Appalachians and Oklahoma. Both of which have many small towns not too far from larger urban areas for jobs.

I don't know enough about specific towns though to say which are good.
Didn't see that part. In that case, maybe some small towns near Asheville NC, Oklahoma, Eastern Tennessee near Knoxville and perhaps parts of states like Texas, SC and GA.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
What about North Dakota? There are hundreds of tiny compact towns with only a few thousand people at most. The unemployment rate is the lowest in the nation, so the job market is pretty good. It may not have any heritage with the Cherokee, but it does with the Sioux. And there are only a few highways in the entire state. Cost of living is low, too. Of course, this is if you are willing to live through long, harsh, cold winters.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,141,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What about North Dakota? There are hundreds of tiny compact towns with only a few thousand people at most. The unemployment rate is the lowest in the nation, so the job market is pretty good. It may not have any heritage with the Cherokee, but it does with the Sioux. And there are only a few highways in the entire state. Cost of living is low, too. Of course, this is if you are willing to live through long, harsh, cold winters.
Don't be fooled by low unemployment rate = good job market. The unemployment rate means a higher ratio of citizens are working, but that does not necessarily mean new jobs are coming in or there is job growth.

OP - There are tons of small towns throughout the Midwest that are off the beaten path, small population and within a reasonable commute to larger cities.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
The north Georgia mountains seem to fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or