U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 AM

410 posts, read 700,326 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed down some areas based on job availability and what I can afford for rent. Just wondered which would fare better for a single woman in her 40's (if there is such a place, lol!)..I like the blue collar crowd, but I don't have to have that....

* Indianapolis

* Columbus, OH

Some areas of WI (possibly Milwaukee, Green Bay area), although not as cheap as above

Upstate NY (reasonable, but again, there are cheaper areas)

Houston (I hate hot weather, but rents are really cheap and a plethora of jobs)

* Am really leaning towards Indy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
This might help: A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

If you go with Upstate NY, it looks like Rochester has more single men. Same with the Utica-Rome area. Same with Poughkeepsie, but it is a bit more expensive.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 AM

21,201 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I have narrowed down some areas based on job availability and what I can afford for rent. Just wondered which would fare better for a single woman in her 40's (if there is such a place, lol!)..I like the blue collar crowd, but I don't have to have that....

* Indianapolis

* Columbus, OH

Some areas of WI (possibly Milwaukee, Green Bay area), although not as cheap as above

Upstate NY (reasonable, but again, there are cheaper areas)

Houston (I hate hot weather, but rents are really cheap and a plethora of jobs)

* Am really leaning towards Indy
I think Milwaukee and Green Bay are good choices with unemployment rates at 7% or below. Columbus and Indianapolis are iffy at 8% and 8.5% respectively. I just moved from Philadelphia which has a rate around 8.5% and no one was hiring.

I would also recommend checking out:
Lincoln, Nebraska 3.5%
Fargo, North Dakota 4.0%
Omaha, Nebraska 4.7%
Washington, DC Metro 5.7% (many areas of suburban Northern Virginia would fulfill your "blue collar" requirement)
Portland, Maine 5.9%
Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota 6.2%

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Lincoln, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fargo, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Washington Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Paul, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM

410 posts, read 700,326 times
Honestly, I don't know if I could handle such harsh winters as Fargo. I am alone and not getting any younger; just seems like that would be a tough place to brave alone...

Minneapolis was surprisingly out of my price range, even though many people suggested it. There are cheaper places. Too bad, because it does appeal to me.

Portland sounds nice.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or