U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2011, 04:31 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,588,701 times
Reputation: 1266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Haha, most of us can barely distinguish an English accent from an Australian accent. You may find that hard to believe but it's true! So you can safely assume that we won't be too discerning about British regions.

RP does kind of stand out, though, and mostly in a good way. It's associated with intelligence and sophistication.
I can make out a British accent from an Australian accent, but it was never easy. The difference is that the Australian accent is more rugged-sounding (more masculine), while the British accent sounds more refined and feminine. That's not saying refinement is a feminine trait, it's simply saying that it sounds more refined and less masculine than the Australian accent. No offense meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,565,289 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I can make out a British accent from an Australian accent, but it was never easy. The difference is that the Australian accent is more rugged-sounding (more masculine), while the British accent sounds more refined and feminine. That's not saying refinement is a feminine trait, it's simply saying that it sounds more refined and less masculine than the Australian accent. No offense meant.

I assume you mean the 'posh' accent, you have to specify which British accent you mean. Accents in the UK are far more diverse than the US, and the difference between a strong traditional Lancashire accent and a Norfolk accent is way more different than even southern US and New York. Which is why I said that even Americans should be able to tell that these accents are totally different, even if they don't even know what accents they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,948 posts, read 13,728,362 times
Reputation: 11648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I can make out a British accent from an Australian accent, but it was never easy. The difference is that the Australian accent is more rugged-sounding (more masculine), while the British accent sounds more refined and feminine. That's not saying refinement is a feminine trait, it's simply saying that it sounds more refined and less masculine than the Australian accent. No offense meant.
You've obviously never heard a northern English accent. As mentioned, there are many different British accents - there is no one singular one, that's kind of what this whole topic is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: NY, NY
1,208 posts, read 1,464,857 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I assume you mean the 'posh' accent, you have to specify which British accent you mean. Accents in the UK are far more diverse than the US, and the difference between a strong traditional Lancashire accent and a Norfolk accent is way more different than even southern US and New York. Which is why I said that even Americans should be able to tell that these accents are totally different, even if they don't even know what accents they are.

I have to disagree here. The Southern US accent and Northeast US accents sound nothing alike, not to mention the actual vernacular is different. The speed of speaking is faster in the Northeast compared to the South, plus the Northeast, especially the NYC accent, has been heavilly influenced by Southern and Eastern European nations while the South is more influenced by English and French.

I think the variety of American is accents is actually stronger than the variations in the UK, although both nations offer a wide variety of dialetcs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,565,289 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I have to disagree here. The Southern US accent and Northeast US accents sound nothing alike, not to mention the actual vernacular is different. The speed of speaking is faster in the Northeast compared to the South, plus the Northeast, especially the NYC accent, has been heavilly influenced by Southern and Eastern European nations while the South is more influenced by English and French.

I think the variety of American is accents is actually stronger than the variations in the UK, although both nations offer a wide variety of dialetcs.
Never said they were similar...just emphasizing how different the British accents are. If you think Southern is so different from New York, then some of the British ones - and I could include Scottish here - are even more un-alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top