Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM

410 posts, read 949,687 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the US for the first time in the spring, and am very much looking forward to getting my first glimpse of what is, by many measures, the centre of English-speaking culture.

I have one query. While my natural accent is one of received pronunciation, with mild London tones, I have a penchant, if not to say a talent, for the affectation of various British regional accents: Scouse, Yorkshire, West-country, Dublin, Glaswegian. While it is widely recognised that my efforts in putting on these accents are not without success and skill, this is really nothing more than a party-trick here, because people who naturally speak these accents are ten-a-penny.

But what would the reaction to such accents in the US? If I turn the tables for a second, I would say that I could separate a stereotypical Noo-Yowawk for a southern drawl, from a prim middle-american RP - but that's about it. So how would the typical American - and of course, I know that no such person exists - react to a broad Scottish or Irish accent? Would many people be able to identify it as such? What about the difference between a northern English accent and a southern one?

Just interested, that's all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Honestly- 99% of Americans have no notion of different regional British accents. If you speak in any sort of British-esque accent they are going to generically think you are British. They're not going to say something like: " Hey- I bet you're from Yorkshire!"

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
To most Americans all British accents sound vaguely the same. However, if you use a really thick Geordie or Aberdeen accent, many people will have a hard time understanding you.

It's also a class thing (but not in the British sense). People from a wealthier background are more likely to have spent time or studied in the UK. I had two British flatmates in college (one from Yorkshire and one from Brimingham). I can distinguish between most regional British accents (I also trained as an actor).

If you use a British accent you'll most likely just get stupid questions about the Royal Family.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I can guarantee the majority of Americans native to this country, will have absolutely no knowledge of UK regional accents.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
The only reason I do is I loved watching British comedies and dramas on PBS and it does tune your ear to a variety of British accents. Well, that and spending nine months in glamorous Penge, London SE20.

I will say this, Americans will fall all over themselves fawning over your accent. If you want to be easily understood, use your RP accent. Its universally understood (like a standard American accent) and some people here don't get out much.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I think Americans are more likely to confuse the northern British accents (probably Manchester and north, Brummie sort of has features of both north and south) for Scottish or Irish accents. They are likely to get Scottish and Irish confused, and will think of Cockney and RP as the 'typical' British accents.

They'll probably think of West Country accents as Irish too.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Haha, most of us can barely distinguish an English accent from an Australian accent. You may find that hard to believe but it's true! So you can safely assume that we won't be too discerning about British regions.

RP does kind of stand out, though, and mostly in a good way. It's associated with intelligence and sophistication.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Bring a top hat, a monocle, and a pipe. Then come up to a random chick and say "Hello my name is Benjamin Hubard". It will get you laid more times than you think.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Have fun with it -- just don't use said phony accent trick on a copper!

I've travelled extensively throughout Great Britain, so I can usually tell where people are from, but I'm the exception. When not travelling, I brush up on my knowledge of British accents by watching BBC comedies. I am enjoying learning the Cornish accent via Doc Martin, which sounds somewhat Irish and/or French. I now know why us Americans stretch out our rrrrssss.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
So how would the typical American - and of course, I know that no such person exists - react to a broad Scottish or Irish accent?
Where exactly will you be in the US? I think in most major tourist spots or big cities, people will be fairly used to accents because they'll get a lot of tourists and immigrants. Even if British accents aren't of the most common ones, they'll probably be used to accents in general and won't blink an eye.

If you go outside the tourist areas, you'll get a lot of confused looks when you first speak - and you may get some requests to repeat yourself. My English husband has experienced this. But I have also experienced it vice versa (I'm an American living in England). It's mainly because people don't expect to hear an accent so, because they are momentarily surprised, they don't take in what you're saying. It's not necessarily because they are too stupid to understand your accent.

Quote:
Would many people be able to identify it as such?
Most should probably be able to recognize the difference between an English, Scottish and Irish accent. I mean, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think Sean Connery and Daniel Craig sound the same. A Welsh accent might throw them though.

And if Americans fall short of these expectations (I notice most of the other replies don't have the faith in Americans I do), well, they're not the only ones. I have a very generic American accent and in my years of living in the UK, I have been mistaken for Irish and Australian! So it's not just Americans.

Quote:
What about the difference between a northern English accent and a southern one?
No, here's where you're getting far too regional to expect any foreigners to be very familiar with the culture. Some Americans might be aware regional dialects exist within England but probably wouldn't be able to identify them. Some could maybe spot a Cockney accent since this is the most famous and maybe even a Liverpool accent if they're familiar with The Beatles. But I wouldn't expect most to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.