U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM

332 posts, read 1,029,177 times
Default Is Virginia Very Awesome???

just how awesome is virginia? i have suprisingly just never heard anything about this topic, and i would appreciate any feedback you can provide. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 16,182 times
WOW... I will be on this thread for a while. Virginia is the birthplace of eight US Presidents, more than any other state.

The Civil War is still very much alive in Virginia, the place where more major Civil War battles were fought than any other state.

The Civil War in Virginia - Timeline of Major Battles

April 1861: With Virginia's secession from the Union, Richmond in Central Virginia was named the Capitol of the Confederacy.

Museum and White House of the Confederacy

Richmond National Battlefield Park

The American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar

Enjoy the Getaway to Historic Richmond — Civil War Capital and Richmond Getaway — Where History Meets Hollywood and see where popular Civil War-themed movies were filmed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1861: First Battle of Bull Run in Manassas in Northern Virginia resulted in a Southern victory.

Manassas National Battlefield Park

Manassas Museum

Old Town Manassas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confederate Winter Quarters 1861: Manassas, Centreville, Fairfax Court House & Falls Church in Northern Virginia.

March 1862: Peninsula Campaign in Hampton Roads. In the first naval battle between ironclad ships, the U.S.S. Monitor fought the U.S.S. Merrimac to a draw, but not before the Merrimac had sunk two wooden Union warships off Hampton Roads Harbor. The U.S.S. Merrimac was rechristened the C.S.S.Virginia.

See the U.S.S. Monitor's revolutionary turret and steam engine, and peer into conservation tanks filled with artifacts from her engine room being restored at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News.

Fort Monroe dubbed "Freedom's Fort" for runaway slaves in Hampton.

Enjoy the history and heritage Getaway to Newport News.

May 1862: General McClellan's troops invaded Yorktown and awaited more troops in Williamsburg in Hampton Roads.

May 1862: Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson defeats Union forces in the Shenandoah Valley, forcing them to retreat across the Potomac.

New Market Battlefield

Stonewall Jackson House

Virginia Military Institute in Lexington

Enjoy the Getaway to the Heart of the Shenandoah Valley and Getaway to Historic Lexingtonwhere Robert E. Lee and "Stonewall" Jackson both lived.

June 1862: The Battle of Seven Pines (Fair Oaks), when the Confederate army attacked federal forces. Last-minute reinforcements saved the Union from a serious defeat. Command of the Army of Northern Virginia fell to Robert E. Lee.

Stratford Hall - Birthplace of Robert E. Lee

Lee Chapel at Washington & Lee University

Civil War Life — The Soldier's Museum

Fort Ward Museum & Historic Site

July 1862: The Seven Days' Battles, between June 26 and July 2. Mechanicsville, Gaines's Mill, Savage's Station, Frayser's Farm and Malvern Hill. On July 2, the Confederates withdrew to Richmond, ending the Peninsula Campaign.

August 1862: The Second Battle of Bull Run in Manassas resulted in a Southern victory.

September 1862: Antietam - the "bloodiest day" of the Civil War.

December 1862: The Battle of Fredericksburg resulted in a Southern victory.

May 1863: The Battle of Chancellorsville resulted in more casualties than any other engagement ever fought on Virginia soil. But it also has been called General Lee's greatest victory.

June 1863: The Gettysburg Campaign. Confederate General Lee decided to take the war to the enemy. On June 13, he defeated Union forces at Winchester.

May 1864: Grant's Wilderness Campaign. North and South met and fought in an inconclusive three-day battle in the Wilderness. Lee inflicted more casualties on the Union forces than his own army incurred, but unlike Grant, he had no replacements.

May 1864: The Battle of Spotsylvania

June 1864: The Battle of Cold Harbor. The Union lost 7,000 men in 20 minutes. Although Lee suffered fewer casualties, his army never recovered from Grant's continual attacks. This was Lee's last clear victory of the war.

June 1864: The Siege of Petersburg lasted 10 months. Visit the
Pamplin Historical Park & National Museum of the Civil War Soldier.

January 1865: The Fall of the Confederacy

April 1863: Fallen Richmond and the South's surrender at Appomattox Courthouse.

Enjoy the Getaway to Appomattox.

Order your very own Virginia Civil War Trails Guide, which includes all the Virginia Civil War Trail sites, a calendar of Civil War-related events and a map!

From Virginia.org

Virginia has Arlington National Cemetary, where most of the Nations military personnel are buried. The Pentagon, where tragedy struck and heros prevailed, is the headquarters of the DoD. We also have the heaquarters of the CIA (in Langley) and the NRA (it has to be located here because Maryland and DC restrict gun control, our Constitutional Right to Bear Arms). Richmond, VA was the Capital of the Confederacy.

I'll post more later.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,991,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
just how awesome is virginia? i have suprisingly just never heard anything about this topic, and i would appreciate any feedback you can provide. thanks!
I lived in Northern VA and liked it a lot. Arlington actually...very close to DC; walkable neighborhoods; great access to METRO. Old Town Alexandria was just to the south and had a wonderful colonial feel to it. Old historic (and I mean very historic) homes there that have a story behind them. Many of them were owned by leaders of the revolution. Expensive but really neat. If I had the money I would buy one of those places.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I lived in Northern VA and liked it a lot. Arlington actually...very close to DC; walkable neighborhoods; great access to METRO. Old Town Alexandria was just to the south and had a wonderful colonial feel to it. Old historic (and I mean very historic) homes there that have a story behind them. Many of them were owned by leaders of the revolution. Expensive but really neat. If I had the money I would buy one of those places.
THANK YOU! Another Virginia supporter

Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,971,842 times
Did someone leave their sarcasm-meter at home?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
HAHA... you said that you wished you could live in VA!

And Virginia was rated by Forbes Magazine the number one place to do business in.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM

4,757 posts, read 9,496,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Shhhh! Let's just hope this provides a bit of a distraction for awhile.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 PM

5,602 posts, read 6,439,828 times
I think Virginia is toward the middle of the pack. Not the best state, but not the worst.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,991,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think Virginia is toward the middle of the pack. Not the best state, but not the worst.
There are parts of the state that are very nice. A lot of history and in some cases they have done well to preserve it (again, Old Town is a great example).

Then there are some parts of the state where it's scary as hell. Let's just say that modern English and modern dental care are scarce in those places.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM

694 posts, read 1,484,626 times
Please don't think all Virginians are like this.

Though, I do believe that this will eventually end up being a long thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.