U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,062,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
STATE COLLEGE, PA!!!!!!!

It is an awsome place!
Yeah, it's very nice. But I'm a little bored with it. And my family lives out west. I'm thinking of moving closer to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,566,744 times
I guess I would choose Portland over death but wouldn't be happy about it.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 PM

180 posts, read 453,532 times
If those were my only choices, I would put Casper as my #1. I like the high desert and access to the inner-mountain west and all it has to offer. I also like small, uncrowded cities. The only reason why I have not strongly considered it myself is that rentals are scarce and overpriced due to the oil industry workers.

Tulsa would be my #2. It has a lot to offer for its location. It is quite affordable. People seem very friendly, and winters overall are not too harsh, albeit they got hit hard this past week.

Portland would be the last place I would want to live, as I am very conservative, don't like continuous rainy or cliudy days, and would not want to spend that much on housing.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,995,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
If you had a choice to move to one of the 5 following cities/towns, which 2 would be on your short list and why ?

Casper, Wyoming
Portland, Oregon
State College, Pennsylvania
Tucson, Arizona
Tulsa, Oklahoma

At current time I am leaning towards State College and Portland on my short list due to ... climates that lack extreme heat or extreme cold, plenty of outdoor opportunities, plenty of folk & classical music performances to attend, good public transportation ...

Potential drawbacks I see ...
State College: too small/isolated, too much rain, too gloomy in winter
Portland: too much crime/gangs, too much rain, too gloomy in winter

But I am curious about others feedbacks about these 5 places and to here which 2 you would choose and why. Or perhaps there is just 1 that you prefer above the others.
SC and Tucson.

I have family in SC and I like Arizona.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,502,390 times
I think choosing a location has alot to do with several factors. Where one is from originally and what they are use to. One's age, values, mindset and general feeling of what one wants and doesn't want in a place. A place that sort of lifts their spirits and soothes their soul sort of place. Some find that in Portland. I never did.

I live in Portland but Im from the Northeast. I have lived here 5 years. I think Oregon has some of the best natural beauty in the country, but I never adjusted to Portland and its population. OP what you listed in your cons is only a small list of my cons. I leave here this coming Oct and I can't say I'd ever want to visit the area again.

I will say I'm glad Im not dealing with all the cold and snow this year on the east coast. However its home to me and in the end thats all that matters.

I hope you find your place out of your list. I would say Pennsylvania but thats the easterner in me talking I suppose. Im guessing you want to try something different for awhile. So I would say look into Tucson for abit. Your young you don't have to stay there if you don't care for it. It certainly would be a change and a drier warmer climate much of the year. You certainly wouldn't have to deal with tons of snow in the winter, but it is abit cooler in winter than many want to admit. However its just cold snaps and warms up in the day time in winter. Always sunshine. Rather a mixture of people from all over the country and more of a live and let live type society.

Whatever place you decide on always remember the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. Sometimes we should just stay home. Still take a chance if you feel the need.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,867,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yeah, it's very nice. But I'm a little bored with it. And my family lives out west. I'm thinking of moving closer to them.
I'd have to go with Portland then! lol

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,642,362 times
Portland easy. Maybe Tulsa. Never been to Tucson so I can't say.

I'm surprised at the love for Casper as I liked Cheyenne more. And I like Montana more than Wyoming. There aren't many reasons to live in Wyoming imo. Probably why so few people do.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,402,886 times
Too much crime in Portland? Compared to what?

I would say Portland and State College.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,209,806 times
You need to visit. Tulsa and Tucson will surprise you in a positive manner. Portland will blow your mind with it's beauty. Casper will disappoint you unless you are wanting to be a cowboy.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,145,229 times
My daughter lives in Portland and it is absolutely beautiful, and I love the way parkland is integrated into the city, and Portland has many intriguing and cosmopolitan attributes, but Portland is expensive compared with Southern states.

Tucson is just not "me". I'm not sure why but I just can't visualize myself living in Tucson.

Although Casper sounds intriguing I'd really have to go there to check it out in person because I don't have the slightest clue about Wyoming and I am kind of a city girl.

My choices would be:

1.) State College (low cost of living and a truly great university, despite the cold weather), or

2) Tulsa (also low cost of living and although I have never been there, I have been in nearby cities and Tulsa apparently has much to offer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or