U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,056,208 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice to move to one of the 5 following cities/towns, which 2 would be on your short list and why ?

Casper, Wyoming
Portland, Oregon
State College, Pennsylvania
Tucson, Arizona
Tulsa, Oklahoma

At current time I am leaning towards State College and Portland on my short list due to ... climates that lack extreme heat or extreme cold, plenty of outdoor opportunities, plenty of folk & classical music performances to attend, good public transportation ...

Potential drawbacks I see ...
State College: too small/isolated, too much rain, too gloomy in winter
Portland: too much crime/gangs, too much rain, too gloomy in winter

But I am curious about others feedbacks about these 5 places and to here which 2 you would choose and why. Or perhaps there is just 1 that you prefer above the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
For me, Great Healer, Casper or maybe Tucson. I like a dry western climate. Portland I might consider if I had to, although I would prefer Seattle or even Vancouver WA (not to be confused with Vancouver BC) since WA has no income tax. PA and OK are out on climate alone, PA also has obnoxiously high taxes so would finish last in this list, for me.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM

371 posts, read 518,572 times
Out of those five, I'd choose either Portland or Casper for my top two.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
If you had a choice to move to one of the 5 following cities/towns, which 2 would be on your short list and why ?

Casper, Wyoming
Portland, Oregon
State College, Pennsylvania
Tucson, Arizona
Tulsa, Oklahoma

At current time I am leaning towards State College and Portland on my short list due to ... climates that lack extreme heat or extreme cold, plenty of outdoor opportunities, plenty of folk & classical music performances to attend, good public transportation ...

Potential drawbacks I see ...
State College: too small/isolated, too much rain, too gloomy in winter
Portland: too much crime/gangs, too much rain, too gloomy in winter

But I am curious about others feedbacks about these 5 places and to here which 2 you would choose and why. Or perhaps there is just 1 that you prefer above the others.
I would definitely pick Tucson as a first choice. Really like it there, and I can handle heat. Not sure about the economy though..?
Second would be Casper, I truly love that part of the country. Big skies, not a lot of people. Drawback maybe winds?

I have heard Portland really sluggish economy wise, something to think about....

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Portland and Casper.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
For me, Great Healer, Casper or maybe Tucson. I like a dry western climate. Portland I might consider if I had to, although I would prefer Seattle or even Vancouver WA (not to be confused with Vancouver BC) since WA has no income tax. PA and OK are out on climate alone, PA also has obnoxiously high taxes so would finish last in this list, for me.
Pennsylvania has the lowest nonzero state income tax in the U.S., and there is no sales tax on clothing, medicine or groceries.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,090 times
Portland is the only one of those places I would consider living in.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
STATE COLLEGE, PA!!!!!!!

It is an awsome place!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
I love State College but it is very isolated and also has cold and snowy winters, not sure waht you consider extreme cold but State College is pretty cold in my book, much colder than Philly based on my few years there.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,056,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I love State College but it is very isolated and also has cold and snowy winters, not sure waht you consider extreme cold but State College is pretty cold in my book, much colder than Philly based on my few years there.
To me extreme cold is Casper Wyo where the record lows are -40, you get down to -20 most years, and the wind is brutal. To me even southern Maine isn't extreme cold. So State College is not extreme cold to me. Of the places I named only Casper has extreme cold in my opinion, while Tulsa and Tucson have extreme heat, Tulsa being the worse of the two due to the humidity. Tulsa can also be pretty nasty cold in the winter due to wind chills. Tulsa probably has the most uncomfortable weather of the towns I named.

Thanks for the opinions, everybody. I actually already live in State College, but I'm moving out of my current residence in a few months and have the choice of either moving to a different place in the State College area ("moving to State College") or applying to transfer to one of those other cities. Those are the 5 options I have. And I'm trying to narrow it down to a choice of 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or