Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I moved to Lansing, Michigan about a year ago. Most of the neighborhoods tend to be segregated by income not race.

I spent about 20 years living in the Dallas, Texas area. Most of the neighborhoods tend to segregated by race. In the suburbs you might see a little more integrated neighborhoods based on income levels.
Lansing is more integrated than many bigger Michigan cities. All of the high schools in the city are pretty integrated, as are suburbs like East Lansing and the Waverly/Delta and Lansing Townships area west of the city. Even Holt is more integrated/diverse now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM

There also plenty of poorer/working class urban neighborhoods in Upstate NY where Blacks and Whites live side by side. Of the top of my head, Elmira's East Side, Syracuse's Near West Side, Buffalo's Willert Park, Rochester's Maplewood, Utica's Cornhill, Binghamton's First Ward and Albany's West Hill, among others.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
I thought it was the South that was always looked at as more segregated?

There's many of those type of neighborhood in other parts of the country, an easy way to find this out is this: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Go around the non-southern areas on there and look at the racial demographics.

Im my area, the majority of Lorain averages out to 30/30/30/10 White/Black/Hispanic/Other, many areas on the Westside of Cleveland are the same, some on the Eastside and Eastside suburb neighborhoods like in Euclid, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Hts., Garfield Hts., South Euclid have equal or nearly equal White/Black. Much of inner city Akron is the same. Same with Canton. Some of Youngstown, Sandusky, Warren is like that.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Particularly in the rural South, blacks and whites live in close proximity to one another. You find very few rural blacks in the Midwest and Northeast because of the migration patterns -- blacks largely moved north for employment, and those jobs were in the cities.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Georgetown , brooklyn

the deep southern portions of flatlands.

Clinton hill , brooklyn

forte greene, brooklyn.

briarwood, queens.

plenty of suburban neighborhoods in Long Island.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
WRONG!!!
Maryland and D.C. are southern...........
nope not by the people who live their. Will this be argument for life on citydata

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post

There's many of those type of neighborhood in other parts of the country, an easy way to find this out is this: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Go around the non-southern areas on there and look at the racial demographics.

Im my area, the majority of Lorain averages out to 30/30/30/10 White/Black/Hispanic/Other, many areas on the Westside of Cleveland are the same, some on the Eastside and Eastside suburb neighborhoods like in Euclid, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Hts., Garfield Hts., South Euclid have equal or nearly equal White/Black. Much of inner city Akron is the same. Same with Canton. Some of Youngstown, Sandusky, Warren is like that.
its not all about cities. Lots of rural towns in the South are integrated. The town I grew up in TN was, and people got along for the most part.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Particularly in the rural South, blacks and whites live in close proximity to one another. You find very few rural blacks in the Midwest and Northeast because of the migration patterns -- blacks largely moved north for employment, and those jobs were in the cities.
That is true to a large degree, but there are more small towns/rural areas in both regions that have a decent to a good mix. Here are some from Michigan for example: Cassopolis, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vandalia, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baldwin, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Covert Township, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Covert, Michigan: A History in Black and White : NPR

and some in Upstate NY: Lyons (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodus (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clyde, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrNJ6quFsuE

Fallsburg, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberty (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There others in many other states like Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and PA.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I agree somewhat, but face it, people have different opinions on it; it's time to let the whole tired argument die.

For those who consider D.C. and Maryland to be northern, I gave a list of integrated neighborhoods. For those who don't, this doesn't concern you.
It don't matter what your opinion is because the Fact remains that Maryland and DC by the way of Delaware is in the South..........

Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Ive noticed people from the northeast consider DC and Maryland southern, but people from the deep south do not consider it the south.
The most northern southern states to most born an bred southerners are Kentucky and West Virginia.
But who said that most people in the deep south was Geographically Educated......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.