U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,032,123 times

Advertisements

From 2005 to 2008 (Katrina to Ike) people were marvelling at the way climate change had intensified tropical heat and hurricane winds with the result that the American South, esp the Gulf Coast and Florida peninsula, would begin to loose their population boom and people would start moving back the the currently depopulating Midwest and NE which were relatively immuned to tropical storms.

Hoever, the last two summers have been moderately active but almost hurricane-free for the US (most spiralled off harmlessly into the middle of the N. Atlantic to die in the Arctic). However, last winter was pretty bad while this winter has been horrid.

I won't even attempt to predict which of these two situations will occurr over the next couple of years but what do you reader think will ultimately happen in terms of the population growth of the Sun Belt vs the MidWest and NE? Visiting the "relative" north of Arkansas from Houston this winter and spending most of the night in a median strip ditch after spinning off a freeway in a snowstorm, I'm betting on the Sun Belt continuing to grow at the expense of MW/NE. I'm willing to risk a very occasional hurricane over the likelyhood of freezing winters every year and slush, scraping off cars, changing tires, freezing pipes, car accidents, etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,395,520 times
Snow isn't too bad as long as you have somewhere to put it. Freezing rain is a different story, it's a real pain in the ass to wake up to half an inch worth of ice everywhere.

The inevitability of shoveling snow > the possibility of flooding in your house and/or storm damage.

Although i don't think I could constantly dig myself outta Buffalo snow lol. Do tall snowblowers still work well for snow fall totals over 2ft?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Nobody's ever had to live in a FEMA trailer after a blizzard.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,032,123 times
Even after a roof collapse... as we're seeing in New England now? [need for FEMA trailer]

Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Nobody evacuates for a blizzard.

Those who live in the large northern cities don't have to deal with these "car" issues you speak of if they don't want to...

Where as, in the sunbelt, having a car is pretty much a must to be able to fully enjoy things. If you do not own a car in the south, you are either poor, or a social pariah.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nobody evacuates for a blizzard.

Those who live in the large northern cities don't have to deal with these "car" issues you speak of if they don't want to...

Where as, in the sunbelt, having a car is pretty much a must to be able to fully enjoy things. If you do not own a car in the south, you are either poor, or a social pariah.

You may be able to avoid ownership of a car in the northeast urban areas, but here in the midwest auto ownership is absolutely necessary. Chicago Il is the only possible exception. I live in Michigan and you would wither and die without a car here. If your smart and you have the money you should own a 4x4 truck up here, then a blizzard like the one we had on tue/wed is not a big deal. Every place has its headaces, down south its hurricanes and heat. Here in the upper midwest it is blizzards snow and cold. Out west its earthquakes. The east coast can get both blizzards AND hurricanes (lucky them). If you prepare for the worst your local can dish out you will likley be ok.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 PM

1,968 posts, read 3,577,990 times
If you're inland, hurricanes aren't so big of a deal. After growing up in Orlando most of my life I've only experienced 3 hurricanes (all in 2004). The worst that happened was that the power was out a couple of days. Orlando hasn't been hit by a hurricane since. But snowstorms are inevitable every year in the Midwest and North. Even in NYC without the need for a car it can be a real pain to get around when the weather is bad.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Just to clear some things up, Syracuse as a metro averages more as a metro than Buffalo, but both areas are equipped to handle it. So, it's not like life stops in the Winter. Besides that, the state is natural disaster free for the overwheling part.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Lets face it, all regions have natural disaster potential of some sort, but if you base your life and where you live on fear of what COULD happen, thats kind of sad.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
If you're inland, hurricanes aren't so big of a deal. After growing up in Orlando most of my life I've only experienced 3 hurricanes (all in 2004). The worst that happened was that the power was out a couple of days. Orlando hasn't been hit by a hurricane since. But snowstorms are inevitable every year in the Midwest and North. Even in NYC without the need for a car it can be a real pain to get around when the weather is bad.
Uhh and hurricanes are far worse than snowstorms and cause billions in damage, rip down houses, kill 1000+ people in what swoop, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.