U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,987,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
IN is by far the most racist state I've ever had the displeasure of setting foot in.
Richmond Indiana used to be a Sundown Town, I think, back in the 1920s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Sundown towns are a thing of the past.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
There was one in Georgia also, a whole county:
Independent Lens . BANISHED . Forsyth County, Georgia | PBS

Forsyth County was one of the banished Sundown Communities. These were towns which at one point had a considerable black population, but they were forced to leave within a day and in some cases immediately, leaving behind homes, possessions, etc... This is documented in the film, Banished.
The funny(well great)thing is that Forsyth County is now a uber wealthy subur of Atlanta where long as you have the mony YOU to can drive your Range Rover in a gated community where your kids can go to some of the best schools in the state and nation.

Oprah went there in 1987 and talked with the towns people.She revisted in 2006:

Quote:
Oprah has never forgotten the bearded man named Dennis. For years, nobody knew what happened to him…until one day an e-mail arrived. It was signed "the bearded man in Forsyth County, Georgia."

Dennis is here today to speak about his experience on the show and in the years since. "I would see [people] in the stores and they would go to the next aisle to keep from having to speak to me," he remembers.

He also wants to clear up a misunderstanding he thinks people have about his last interview with Oprah. "Let me say this…in front of God and everybody: I was not insinuating the 'n'-word towards you," Dennis tells Oprah. "I want to apologize for that. If you took it that way, I'm sorry."

Despite what Dennis thought, Oprah says she never interpreted it that way.

"I want you to know I never thought you were calling me a '******' because I'm not one," Oprah says. "So there's no way I could have felt that."

How does Dennis feel about his original remarks?

"I spoke from what I had lived and that's all anybody can do," Dennis says.
Memorable Guests - Oprah.com

Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Honestly, I thought "sundown towns" were those towns where everything closes by 6:00P.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,385,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sundown towns are a thing of the past.

Coming from the guy in Indiana.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Honestly, I thought "sundown towns" were those towns where everything closes by 6:00P.
lOL.Bless yo heart.LOL

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Coming from the guy in Indiana.
They are. I challenge anyone to show me a current photo of a town telling blacks to make sure they're out of town after dark or show evidence of black folks being strung up for being where they aren't supposed to be (and I'm not talking about DWB).

No doubt they existed at one time, but to go on about them as indicative of how things are in those same towns today is not being honest.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Richmond Indiana used to be a Sundown Town, I think, back in the 1920s.
Where have you read that? Something makes me think Richmond, Indiana was never quite such a town, since I recall from reading history books on Richmond, that it once had a thriving jazz music scene(plus clubs) in the 20s.

I'd like to see some actual internet sites, and/or the names of some books where it states Richmond was once one of those towns. But hey, something has always made me think that some towns in east-central Indiana were once 'sundown towns.' (though I somehow think at least neither Richmond nor Connersville were sundown, since they both once had a decent bit of industry)

I'd love to know some of the Indiana and Ohio towns where you've read were sundown. LOL, not sure why I've oddly wondered every now and then if Liberty, IN was once one.....

Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I learned of the term years ago. Today that sort of upfront racsim wouldn't fly. However, today we have such muted racism, discrimination that flies under the radar that still exists.
Thing is, lots of towns are still segregated, whether people want to think so or not. Most of us are still separated by our economic or racial barriers. Where I live, you can drive through an area and just know the kind of people that live there.
There are still systems in place today to make sure certain people don't move into certain areas, it's just not front and centre.
I completely agree that you are right that there are indirect forms of racism still in effect to this day. Some black neighborhoods on the south side sadly are still very racist towards people of other races, particularly whites. Just look at the story I posted in my previous post, when I was on a jazz club tour, and we were going through the Chatham neighborhood.

I certainly hope an increasing number of blacks aren't normally harbor reverse racist attitudes towards whites, as I don't have an ounce of hatred towards people of other races. And it's sad too, since though there was a place I still would like to eventually check out on 75th St. in what I believe is the Chatham neighborhood, I still hold a very slight fear that a similar incident may occur to me.

Still though, I do go to Old Fashioned Donuts in Roseland(within a predominantly black Chicago neighborhood) every now and then, and luckily have had almost no problems occur in several years of going there, other than when some idiotic black boy who was less than 10 years old say a racist remark to me when I was briefly sitting down at nearby Palmer Park to eat one of my donuts(luckily, no other incidents occurred besides that). The apple fritters always make going there worth it.....

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I completely agree that you are right that there are indirect forms of racism still in effect to this day. Some black neighborhoods on the south side sadly are still very racist towards people of other races, particularly whites. Just look at the story I posted in my previous post, when I was on a jazz club tour, and we were going through the Chatham neighborhood.

I certainly hope an increasing number of blacks aren't normally harbor reverse racist attitudes towards whites, as I don't have an ounce of hatred towards people of other races. And it's sad too, since though there was a place I still would like to eventually check out on 75th St. in what I believe is the Chatham neighborhood, I still hold a very slight fear that a similar incident may occur to me.

Still though, I do go to Old Fashioned Donuts in Roseland(within a predominantly black Chicago neighborhood) every now and then, and luckily have had almost no problems occur in several years of going there, other than when some idiotic black boy who was less than 10 years old say a racist remark to me when I was briefly sitting down at nearby Palmer Park to eat one of my donuts(luckily, no other incidents occurred besides that). The apple fritters always make going there worth it.....
Your post is interesting, in that the blacks picked you out of a crowd, and the blinders were on with the other blacks/asians.
A story I have heard is that the whites in the south are the non-racist/"we're sorry for your troubles" type people. However the blacks are now becoming more racist in recent years, as the great Black migration moves back to the south from the NE and the west. They want to reclaim these areas as there own, and the feel the sight of any whites is an encroachment of their turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or