U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Your post is interesting, in that the blacks picked you out of a crowd, and the blinders were on with the other blacks/asians.
A story I have heard is that the whites in the south are the non-racist/"we're sorry for your troubles" type people. However the blacks are now becoming more racist in recent years, as the great Black migration moves back to the south from the NE and the west. They want to reclaim these areas as there own, and the feel the sight of any whites is an encroachment of their turf.
Well, the incident I was stating was just one black boy on his own who was just ignorant and didn't know better, who I ran into in the park. And it was very odd, since I was minding my own business, and being careful not to stir any trouble. It was weird he spotted me, since I was sitting in a part of the park where I didn't think I was standing out much at all!

I have no idea if blacks in the Midwest are more racist than in other parts of the country, but some have theorized that they are. I wish I knew the truth on this. My dad became good friends with this black woman who my grandmother hired to babysit him and my other 2 uncles, growing up in a central Georgia town. He still even talks to her, to this very day every so often. Though it's been slightly less in recent years.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Well, the incident I was stating was just one black boy on his own who was just ignorant and didn't know better, who I ran into in the park. And it was very odd, since I was minding my own business, and being careful not to stir any trouble. It was weird he spotted me, since I was sitting in a part of the park where I didn't think I was standing out much at all!

I have no idea if blacks in the Midwest are more racist than in other parts of the country, but some have theorized that they are. I wish I knew the truth on this. My dad became good friends with this black woman who my grandmother hired to babysit him and my other 2 uncles, growing up in a central Georgia town. He still even talks to her, to this very day every so often. Though it's been slightly less in recent years.....
Well my thoughts are that as blacks have gained in power both economically and politically over the years, their resentment of "the white man" has also grown. They see whitey as the source of all problems past. However true or untrue that may be, it's still wrong.
The boy in the park see you, a white person, and feels jealousy maybe. He sees that most whites are richer than him, better off in their lives than he is. That maybe also be highly untrue, but generally that is the case.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,158 times
Quote:
Well my thoughts are that as blacks have gained in power both economically and politically over the years, their resentment of "the white man" has also grown. They see whitey as the source of all problems past. However true or untrue that may be, it's still wrong.
The boy in the park see you, a white person, and feels jealousy maybe. He sees that most whites are richer than him, better off in their lives than he is. That maybe also be highly untrue, but generally that is the case.
Yeah, that probably was ultimately the case. Also, I theorize that the kid who said the racist remark to me in that nearby park was probably too young to realize that poverty affects people of all races and ethnicities, not just blacks.

I'm sure for that kid, he viewed me as 'an evil white man' who is supposedly as racist as anyone else. Though anyway, I don't care anymore, and(that day) was only walking through that park, due to the fact it was inbetween a library branch, and the Metra train station I took to get there. And was mildly curious to look around that park, since I'd never seen it till that day. I can definitely say though, that there are predominantly black neighborhoods that are far worse than Roseland, though...

Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,381,038 times
Quote:
Your post is interesting, in that the blacks picked you out of a crowd, and the blinders were on with the other blacks/asians.
A story I have heard is that the whites in the south are the non-racist/"we're sorry for your troubles" type people. However the blacks are now becoming more racist in recent years, as the great Black migration moves back to the south from the NE and the west. They want to reclaim these areas as there own, and the feel the sight of any whites is an encroachment of their turf.

Some of you seriously need to do the equivalent of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black._White.

for a month and document what happens.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,881,525 times
San Leandro was a sun down town until the 70's. I heard hawthorne and el sugundo actually had signs back in the day.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
I don't remember the signs, but being raised in Burbank, CA, blacks had to leave the city by sundown. This was definitely how it was in the 1950s and 1960s, but I don't remember if that were the case in the 1970s. There are only 1.9 % of blacks living there now.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM

32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
As a person of color, I would like to believe that in 2011, this is no longer an issue for 99.9999% of towns out there, but I don't know.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As a person of color, I would like to believe that in 2011, this is no longer an issue for 99.9999% of towns out there, but I don't know.
I trust you are correct. It's different now and different is good.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 PM

213 posts, read 361,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't remember the signs, but being raised in Burbank, CA, blacks had to leave the city by sundown. This was definitely how it was in the 1950s and 1960s, but I don't remember if that were the case in the 1970s. There are only 1.9 % of blacks living there now.
I not too long ago, saw an interview with the current Mayor of Los Angeles, where he talked about recently learning about L.A.'s past treatment of Blacks in the early 1900's. He was shocked at the legal covenants and restrictions placed upon Blacks in the L.A. area by various Neighborhood Associations, etc...:
There were different levels of these race-based covenants.
some were W.A.S.P. only
some were Whites only
some were Whites and Hispanic only (with limitations towards the Hispanics)
but all excluded Blacks.

//I'm sure Asians were also excluded in some cases; however, they didn't mention it per this particular conversation.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Many people wouldn't believe that Inglewood CA was a big KKK towm until the 60's. It went from under 1% Black in 1960 to a predominately Black city in 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or