U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM

12,253 posts, read 18,008,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Already posted it and yes that is indeed true.
Oh, sorry.

Does the town name really mean that.? Or is it's original meaning something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,901,578 times
I am wanting to say that it is not the original meaning, but i'm not 100% sure. Alot of that region has to do with things that happened before the civil war. Illinois allowed slavery in very specific parts in the far southern part of the state. Into the 1900's, there was a lynching in Cairo, Illinois and that's when the sundown towns really took off because people didn't want the blacks living next to them after the event took place.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM

56,673 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
"As recently as the 1970s, elite suburbs like Edina, Minnesota, would
openly turn away Jewish and black would-be home buyers." -- from the article

Wow! You have got to be kidding me. Truly shocking.
Not surprised, as Bronxville NY was similar in that regard. I believe that Kenmore NY was "very vigilant" if Blacks drove through town. So, it's not just a Southern thing.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,901,578 times
Most sundown towns existed outside of the traditional south, Illinois and Indiana being an example. Oregon and many other places that don't immediately come to mind had many sundown towns as well. It's hard to believe how recent some of these towns existed as a sundown town (and some still do). Anna, Illinois has a few black residents nowadays. Anna would be the only place in my area that I can think of that was a sundown town.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,604,181 times
The existence of sundown towns certainly puts to rest the notion of racism being endemic only to the South. After emancipation, blacks were virtually spread out across the country, and a good portion of the population was rural. The flourishing of sundown towns toward the end of Reconstruction effectively changed that.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM

213 posts, read 361,843 times
Anyone who is vaguely interested in this subject, will really enjoy the book by James Loewen. I've read, seen documentaries and listened to podcasts about the subject and assumed I had a decent grip on the subject. However, I recently picked up the book on a whim and found out just how little I knew.

The main focus is on African-Americans, which is logical as they suffered the brunt of this discriminatory practice. However, it also talks about Hindus and many other groups who were violently expelled out of certain U.S. cities. The book is very thorough and goes beyond just documenting sundown towns but also covers the who, what, when where, why, myths, etc...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,588,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Well my thoughts are that as blacks have gained in power both economically and politically over the years, their resentment of "the white man" has also grown. They see whitey as the source of all problems past. However true or untrue that may be, it's still wrong.
The boy in the park see you, a white person, and feels jealousy maybe. He sees that most whites are richer than him, better off in their lives than he is. That maybe also be highly untrue, but generally that is the case.
Are you black?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,588,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Your post is interesting, in that the blacks picked you out of a crowd, and the blinders were on with the other blacks/asians.
A story I have heard is that the whites in the south are the non-racist/"we're sorry for your troubles" type people. However the blacks are now becoming more racist in recent years, as the great Black migration moves back to the south from the NE and the west. They want to reclaim these areas as there own, and the feel the sight of any whites is an encroachment of their turf.
This is some of the biggest load of bull I have seen on these forums.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,824 times
It's interesting to see how Americans have responded to James Loewen's book on sundown towns. Not a lot of praise. Not a lot of hair-pulling outrage. Pretty much nothing.

Yet, when people stumble upon this they're surprised. So we have something about which most people are ignorant. Its a phenomenon that was widespread throughout the U.S., involved both brutal violence and government policy, most all-white towns in the U.S. were/are white on-purpose, and this pervasive pattern of racial segregation is relatively recent.

And somebody wonders how Loewen's sloppy research could malign Winter Haven, Florida. That comment reads as if Monty Python was reviewing Loewen's research.

Starting in the 1890s whites began to "ethnically cleansed" their towns and communities, expelling African Americans and keeping them out for decades. Why is this not a big deal?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherdust View Post
And somebody wonders how Loewen's sloppy research could malign Winter Haven, Florida. That comment reads as if Monty Python was reviewing Loewen's research.
Yes, it must have been Monty Python reviewing his research before he put it on his website. That is the only way I could see such inaccurate information getting there.

The comment, by me, questioning his sloppy research was dead on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or