U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,310,136 times

Advertisements

...and New Hampshire:

Alabama

Alaska

Arkansas

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

Wisconsin

Wyoming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 PM

682 posts, read 811,315 times
Good grief! What's happening in Georgia? I thought Georgia was booming???

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM

20,864 posts, read 35,998,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Most of the counties that are declining there are extremely rural. All the growth is mostly around Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Sad to see how much population Michigan lost.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,324,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Sad to see how much population Michigan lost.
Its pathetic

Michigan is the only state that actually lost population. A city or county losing, but the state? Even Mississippi grew and we all know its past rep and it is the poorest(or second poorest) in the union.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,178,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Its pathetic

Michigan is the only state that actually lost population. A city or county losing, but the state? Even Mississippi grew and we all know its past rep and it is the poorest(or second poorest) in the union.
The people of Michigan Need to make more babies!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 AM

786 posts, read 1,604,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Its pathetic

Being a poor state doesn't mean its people can't make like rabbits. I don't know if it was a simple births-outweighs-deaths increase, but I should think it was.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,206,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Being a poor state doesn't mean its people can't make like rabbits. I don't know if it was a simple births-outweighs-deaths increase, but I should think it was.
I'm pretty sure the growth in every state was due to immigration.

It would be very interesting to see birth rates by state though. Some may be able to maintain growth based on that, and Mississippi could be one

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,828,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
There county growth map is a visual indicator of why NC will pass Georgia in the future. NC has more growth areas instead of one giant juggernaut.
Even in 2010, the gap between the two states was much smaller than was "estimated". I think NC will pass GA this decade. The delta is only about 150K.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,678,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There county growth map is a visual indicator of why NC will pass Georgia in the future. NC has more growth areas instead of one giant juggernaut.
Even in 2010, the gap between the two states was much smaller than was "estimated". I think NC will pass GA this decade. The delta is only about 150K.
It's definitely probable (after all, Georgia passed NC just a few decades ago), but one thing to notice is that the scale on the Georgia map is different. Georgia's "low growth" light green color means growth up to 25% (which is pretty breakneck), while NC's is only up to 15%. So lots of Georgia's light green counties are actually growing pretty darned fast.

But yeah, the only parts of Georgia that are uniformly growing are the metro area, North Georgia, and Coastal Georgia. Southwest Georgia is really hit hard--there's just not much going on in a region whose economic anchor is Albany, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.