Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have no idea. Somebody on the Chicago forum posted that over 165,000 Blacks left the city over the decade. That's pretty significant. I never thought Houston was going to pass Chicago for a long time as far as population goes. Now, I think it's a good possibility that Houston does pass Chicago within the next 20 years. Sad for a great city.
Dude, what sucks is how I thought by 2025 that Chicago would actually get to 3.1 Million or something. I have to admit I was a bit excited to see it overtaking the 3 Million threshold. I had no idea so many left either, that's a super significant number for just one race alone too. What I cant figure out is how they over estimated the city population by 200,000 people in the 2009 estimates and 180,000 people in the 2008 estimates, with 160,000 people in the 2007 estimates and so on, that's either so messed up or they really screwed up on Chicago again.

Man that sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Dude, what sucks is how I thought by 2025 that Chicago would actually get to 3.1 Million or something. I have to admit I was a bit excited to see it overtaking the 3 Million threshold. I had no idea so many left either, that's a super significant number for just one race alone too. What I cant figure out is how they over estimated the city population by 200,000 people in the 2009 estimates and 180,000 people in the 2008 estimates, with 160,000 people in the 2007 estimates and so on, that's either so messed up or they really screwed up on Chicago again.

Man that sucks.
Or, they just didn't factor in the fact that so many African-Americans would head South in that time period. It makes sense if you think about it. The Census Bureau has the hardest time counting poor neighborhoods and African-American neighborhoods (which also are largely poor in the midwest and northeast). They just didn't have a good way to measure what was happening until it was already said and done.

I'll agree though that it is sad to see what is happening to Chicago in that regard given their rich African-American history. But, these are the sign of the times.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Or, they just didn't factor in the fact that so many African-Americans would head South in that time period. It makes sense if you think about it. The Census Bureau has the hardest time counting poor neighborhoods and African-American neighborhoods (which also are largely poor in the midwest and northeast). They just didn't have a good way to measure what was happening until it was already said and done.

I'll agree though that it is sad to see what is happening to Chicago in that regard given their rich African-American history. But, these are the sign of the times.
The screwed up part is weird their estimate changes were between 2008 & 2009 for all cities. If you looked at the demographics for Dallas/Fort Worth, my gosh they had whole ethnicity's gaining double the population it had in a year.

I cant wait for all this to be over and done with when they release that information, but that is towards the end of the year (the demographics). Yeah I really didn't factor in that their methodology for estimates could be one of the most retarded ones, I'm going to stop using estimates as much, I've found a lot of mess ups between the 2008 ones and the 2009 ones altogether.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

They are just moving to suburbs of Chicago. The same thing is happening in Dallas and other major cities across the country.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
They are just moving to suburbs of Chicago. The same thing is happening in Dallas and other major cities across the country.
Kind of but it's more than that. They are moving down South or out of the Chicago metro altogether. This is why Atlanta has now replaced Chicago as the 2nd largest Black metro in the nation and Washington is approaching Chicago to replace it as the 3rd largest.

Speaking of Washington, Chicago Metro only grew by 210,000 in the last decade. Washington-Baltimore CSA may pass it in the near future.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
In Chicago's case I don't think that can be said for sure just yet. I wouldn't doubt that it's occurring, but I think there is more anecdotal proof that the large majority of African-Americans in the Chicagoland area relocated out of state in the 00s.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Speaking of Washington, Chicago Metro only grew by 210,000 in the last decade. Washington-Baltimore CSA may pass it in the near future.
Yeah Washington DC/Baltimore CSA is shooting distance now, very close shooting distance to surpassing Chicago CSA and its increasing rather fast so it seems like a done deal by 2023 or so.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Quote:
Just curious if any like maps will be available based on absolute population change.
The Census itself doesn't seem to be making those maps, but all the data is there to produce them. It would just take some time.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
I hope the Chicago number is not an indication that other cities expected to see a rebound of sorts will also miss the estimates by a wide margin

Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
When Los Angeles County numbers are release it will make Chicago black pop decline look meager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.