U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,969,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah, but I don't live in San Antonio.
I know; I was just making a funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Oklahoma City
The bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal building. April 19, 1995
Don't forget that big-ass tornado a few years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM

766 posts, read 1,854,672 times
Cleveland: 1969 Cuyahoga River Fire. Single handedly pushed the environmental movement to the forefront, spurring the passage of the clean air and water act, but also becoming infamous and making our city synonymous with industrial filth. Something which continues today and is an undeserved stereotype.

Also, 1995: Cleveland opens the Rock and Roll hall of Fame, which it beat out cities such as New York, Memphis, and Cincinnati, to have.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,033,994 times
^ I also did mine on Rock and Roll History:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Something very unique:

CLEVELAND:

1952 - Alan Freed, Cleveland radio deejay, coins the term "Rock n' Roll." First rock n' roll concert, The Moondog Coronation Ball, is held in Cleveland.
Did you know there were other river fires all across the East Coast before and after the Cleveland river fire?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,988,577 times
Dayton: 1913 Flood.

Flood Pix

Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,201,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I know; I was just making a funny.

Don't forget that big-ass tornado a few years later.
No one in OKC forgets the tornado's here, and the really big one I believe you are referring to was May 3, 1999, and it killed somewhere around 40+ people. I may be incorrect, but I believe that was the biggest tornado ever recorded, or something like that. I didn't even live in this state when either of these events occurred, but I remember when they both happened. However, I believe if you asked the people here what was the single most significant event in our city history, most people would tell you it was the federal building bombing. It had a deep and lasting effect on everyone here. OKC is a very different place than it was in 1995.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
The significant event is the city itself. Between 1942 and 1949, the entire city existed in secret. At one time during that period, 75,000 people lived here and no one knew about it. It did not exist on any map.

"It was a city that required special badges to be worn by all inhabitants, even children. 840 buses brought people to work here and took them home. The city operated twenty-four hours a day. The plants operated day and night. Thousands of rail cars brought materials in and all left empty."

Secret City The Movie

Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Overall I would say the Chicago Fire, but in the past century I don't know what it would be.
I would have gone with the St Valentine's Day massacre. When I hear "Chicago" Al Capone is the first thing I think of.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM

21,329 posts, read 21,906,527 times
I would say that ours here in Minneapolis/St Paul would be a series of reported UFO sightings and alien abductions that began right before the millenium. These reports were generally dismissed by the authorities and quashed by the media. Soon after a mostly unknown suburban, cross-dressing mayor named Jesse Ventura suddenly won the govenorship and burst onto the national political scene before falling in to disfavor largely because of the un-nerving tendency of his gargantuan head to bob up and down whenever he spoke.

A new series of sightings and abductions occured about ten years later and lo and behold, we now have three, including a "florist" and an obscure comedian (all with giant heads), political neophytes suddenly bursting onto the national stage all at once.

Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-10-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,188,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would say that ours here in Minneapolis/St Paul would be a series of reported UFO sightings and alien abductions that began right before the millenium. These reports were generally dismissed by the authorities and quashed by the media. Soon after a mostly unknown suburban, cross-dressing mayor named Jesse Ventura suddenly won the govenorship and burst onto the national political scene before falling in to disfavor largely because of the un-nerving tendency of his gargantuan head to bob up and down whenever he spoke.

A new series of sightings and abductions occured about ten years later and lo and behold, we now have three, including a "florist" and an obscure comedian (all with giant heads), political neophytes suddenly bursting onto the national stage all at once.

Coincidence? I think not.
That comedian guy sure talks loud, also. Maybe is trying to communicate with his home planet?

I'd say that new bridge that I'm looking at out my window was kinda important, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or