U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:57 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,282,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
The unintentional irony is dripping from this one.

We're laughing at you, not with you.
Thats ok. Doesnt bug me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:01 AM

6,079 posts, read 3,404,486 times
To me, Middle America is anywhere rural or suburban, not within a large city tho possibly in a metro area. Somewhere where the scenery isn't toooo distinct. There could be mountains in the backdrop but nowhere too crazy.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,326,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thats ok. Doesnt bug me
Again, the irony is strong, if unintentional/unaware. You poor people are just so damn fragile.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,859,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
lol lol lol! I like I like!

but.. I also think of Middle America as in ignorant America, not ignorant in a negative sense of the word but less experienced in life outside of their bubble and more sheltered resulting in believing in such things like the rapture and Trump "Make Murica Great Again".
Why would that be Middle America?

I think Middle America is as the name implies. Middle in terms of culture, climate, demographics, linguistics, politics, population density, and MAYBE centrality in terms of location but to me Middle America is a mindset more than a location.

Somewhere not too liberal or conservative, somewhere that Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western identity and accents don't really come to play, somewhere that isn't rural or heavily urbanized (so like maybe an outlying suburb near a rural area), a place where all four seasons are experienced, a place where demographics fall in line with typical American patterns, and a place that for the most part is equidistant from most parts of the country.

This means the Northeast and the Southeast are out. The Gulf is out. The entire west is out. People could say "well what about the great lakes or upper Midwest " but I would say the weather is too cold, politics too liberal, and the demographics are a bit unique.

This means that the Lower Midwest comes closer. A swing state like Ohio outside of Cleveland could work. Cincinnati metro could work and so could Columbus metro or suburbs. Indianapolis could definitely work. Bloomington too. Heck parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland could apply too (probably not the Philly metro).

Kansas City suburbs like Overland Park in my opinion seem the definition of Middle America based on my description above. This is why I like the Midwest as diversity of opinion is really valued.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
What I'm getting here is that many of you knowingly and intentionally use middle America as an insult. It's shorthand for unsophisticated rubes. This means that you aren't entering any discussion of middle America in good faith. That kind of prejudice is practically the definition of Elitism.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 PM

187 posts, read 158,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What I'm getting here is that many of you knowingly and intentionally use middle America as an insult. It's shorthand for unsophisticated rubes. This means that you aren't entering any discussion of middle America in good faith. That kind of prejudice is practically the definition of Elitism.
Yep, exactly. People will use uneducated attacks against middle America which is a large diverse region that you can't just generalize. And this is coming from someone from the Northeast.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 AM

20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Why would that be Middle America?

I think Middle America is as the name implies. Middle in terms of culture, climate, demographics, linguistics, politics, population density, and MAYBE centrality in terms of location but to me Middle America is a mindset more than a location.
Those "Middle America" areas are cultural hodgepodges that have too many influences from nearby geographic regions and other areas to really have one solid identity, which is somewhat better overall. Yes, I have experience living in several different areas like this and they generally lack the positive attributes found in the East, South, or West, but do not offer any advantage in terms of desirable climate. Many do tend to be more sheltered and culturally unaware of many other areas of the US and world. That is just the fact of the matter.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,282,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Yes, in the real world "middle america" is commonly used as both a term to describe a certain demographic, location or life style or as an insult. Just like the term "the south". But there also a flip side, I've heard "northerners" and "california" being used to describe people in a negative way as well. We can try to sound above it all but thats how it is outside of city-data. Media doesn't do much to help either, but then again whenever I go to "middle america" I see some of the stereotypes play out in real life so...

Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,859,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Those "Middle America" areas are cultural hodgepodges that have too many influences from nearby geographic regions and other areas to really have one solid identity, which is somewhat better overall. Yes, I have experience living in several different areas like this and they generally lack the positive attributes found in the East, South, or West, but do not offer any advantage in terms of desirable climate. Many do tend to be more sheltered and culturally unaware of many other areas of the US and world. That is just the fact of the matter.
I don't know as that seems to subjective whether Middle American places have no identity. Their identity is AMERICA and they seen proud of it.

When I said middle climate I meant a climate that represents a middle ground of all US climates. A periperhy humid subtropical climate would probably be the closest thing. Winters still exist but they are mild.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
When I said middle climate I meant a climate that represents a middle ground of all US climates. A periperhy humid subtropical climate would probably be the closest thing. Winters still exist but they are mild.
Unfortunately, that is not a good reality because many of those areas on the dividing zone of climates are rarely well prepared for winter- even though snow falls every year. It creates extra hazards for the public. On that front, I prefer areas that know how to deal with snow in winter, and I do prefer more snowfall over weeks of rain with highs in the 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.