Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 09:33 PM

32 posts, read 21,307 times

Advertisements

I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time as I love anything city/transit-related. I'm elated to join you guys!

I have a kind of specific question. I am currently in medical school in NY and I want to do my residency in cities specifically in the northeast that have large latino/hispanic populations. I'm not from the Northeast so I am not knowledgeable about stuff here but I love this part of the country. I am a native speaker and one of the big reasons I am in medicine is to serve Spanish-speaking populations.

I know everyone says that I would have a better shot in the West/Southwest but I don't really want to be in that part of the country. I love big. walkable cities with transit. My big 3 right now are NYC, Philadelphia or Chicago (technically not NE). Are there other cities I should consider being around in the northeast so I can put them on my radar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 09:38 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Might as well add Boston, Providence, Newark and Jersey City as well.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:56 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Providence: 46% Hispanic/Latino

Boston- 23% Hispanic/Latino, nearby city of Lawrence is 82% Hispanic, Chelsea is 60% Hispanic andmany other cities around Boston are between 25%-40% Hispanic.

Philadelphia- 16% Hispanic/Latino

Old 12-27-2021, 10:02 PM

32 posts, read 21,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Might as well add Boston, Providence, Newark and Jersey City as well.
I love Boston! Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Providence: 46% Hispanic/Latino

Boston- 23% Hispanic/Latino, nearby city of Lawrence is 82% Hispanic, Chelsea is 60% Hispanic andmany other cities around Boston are between 25%-40% Hispanic.

Philadelphia- 16% Hispanic/Latino

Wow, did not know Providence had such a big Hispanic population. It was not even on my radar until now.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
I love Boston! Will do

Wow, did not know Providence had such a big Hispanic population. It was not even on my radar until now.

Though not walkable, the Springfield-Hartford Area is probably 25% Hispanic/Latino.

Hartford County is 22% Hispanic (Hartford itself is 40% Hispanic)
Springfield MA is 45% Hispanic too.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:55 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Not northeastern, but Miami is pretty walkable, and it has robust public transportation. Furthermore, it's majority Hispanic, at around 60-70% for the county. However, Boston would probably be the best option in the northeast.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:13 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
As for other cities in the region that could work are Rochester(about 20%), New Haven(31%), Bridgeport(42.3%), Yonkers(next to NYC and now the 3rd biggest city in NY State is 42.1%) and Allentown/Bethlehem(adjacent cities in PA with a little over 200k people combined, 54.1%/29.2%).

Old 12-28-2021, 01:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time as I love anything city/transit-related. I'm elated to join you guys!

I have a kind of specific question. I am currently in medical school in NY and I want to do my residency in cities specifically in the northeast that have large latino/hispanic populations. I'm not from the Northeast so I am not knowledgeable about stuff here but I love this part of the country. I am a native speaker and one of the big reasons I am in medicine is to serve Spanish-speaking populations.

I know everyone says that I would have a better shot in the West/Southwest but I don't really want to be in that part of the country. I love big. walkable cities with transit. My big 3 right now are NYC, Philadelphia or Chicago (technically not NE). Are there other cities I should consider being around in the northeast so I can put them on my radar?
Since you mentioned Chicago, I'll just mention that it is 28% Hispanic (5 largest city with almost 800K). It's about 80% Mexican, 10% Puerto Rican, with Guatemalan being most of the rest. There are some very large enclaves (Mexican- Little Village, Pilsen; Puerto Rican- Humbolt Park), but you will find a large Hispanic population in many neighborhoods and there are a handful of majority Hispanic collar suburbs.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Reading, PA is probably near the top. The census quickfacts page currently has the city of 95k at 67% Hispanic or Latino: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ypennsylvania/

The city is less than 10 square miles, so it's not a "large" city but it's pretty urban. It's probably in need of more native speakers in the medical field to serve the growing population.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 12-28-2021 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 02:05 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
I love Boston! Will do

Most Southern New England cities have very large 25%+ Latino populations. Providence’s last two mayors have been Dominican. RI is the most Dominican state in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.