Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,468 times

Advertisements

SC is great, but you will see no change in seasons there.

My favorite NC cities/metros are...

Charlotte: The largest city/metro in NC or SC with the most going on. CIAA national tourney, bobcats, panthers, nascar, parks, downtown, nightlife, democratic national convention, Carowinds, banking capital, many fortune 500 companies based here, music festivals, etc.

Asheville: Small-medium size city with ALOT going on, very counterculture, decent amount of snow and near the smokey mountains.

The Triangle: The king of college basketball. Duke, NC State, and UNC all are there. Also great for arts, and hi-tech industry capital of SC.

Really, all 3 are great cities and places to raise families. Charlotte has more trees and green space and is the most family friendly city of 700K+ I have ever seen, it really feels like a small town with big city amenities, excitement and diversity. Also all 3 cities experience decent snow.

I'm in Charlotte an it's snowed I think 4 times this winter, but each time it only stays on the ground a couple days which is great.

Education wise the triangle rules, but Charlotte has great colleges, arts, and universities too.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, unless you hate hippies. If you don't like hippies DO NOT move to Asheville. Its probably the marijuana/hippie capital of the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
SC is great, but you will see no change in seasons there.
You will in the Upstate, which was already mentioned as an option.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
You will in the Upstate, which was already mentioned as an option.
Ok, in Greenville and Spartinburg you may see slight changes in seasons, and in rock hill which is 20 miles south of Charlotte, other than that, no.

Personally I'm not a fan of Greenville or Spartinburg, I like rock hill alot more than both of those cities combined, but Charlotte>Rock Hill in every single category imaginable except for price.

I'll put it this way. The few areas in SC that get snow are not even close to being in the same league as almost every city in NC with 100K+.

IMO the best cities in SC, are ones that don't get hardly any snow, ever.

I prefer southern, almost GA SC, and coastal SC over northern SC any day of the week, and southern and coastal SC doesn't get hardly any snow.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Ok, in Greenville and Spartinburg you may see slight changes in seasons, and in rock hill which is 20 miles south of Charlotte, other than that, no.

Personally I'm not a fan of Greenville or Spartinburg, I like rock hill alot more than both of those cities combined, but Charlotte>Rock Hill in every single category imaginable except for price.

I'll put it this way. The few areas in SC that get snow are not even close to being in the same league as almost every city in NC with 100K+.

IMO the best cities in SC, are ones that don't get hardly any snow, ever.

I prefer southern, almost GA SC, and coastal SC over northern SC any day of the week, and southern and coastal SC doesn't get hardly any snow.
Can't forget Anderson and Clemson in Upstate SC too.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
I grew up in TN. Tornadoes happen but nobody really spent time worrying about them. There are very, very few people killed by them. You're putting your life way more at risk getting on the freeway everyday. As far as the question about NC, SC, TN, well NC has probably been the most inundated with Northern relocatees. So if you want to be around more people like yourself there's probably a better chance of that in NC- specifically the Raleigh Durham area. Don't know much about SC. TN is probably on the other side of the scale. Its very similar to NC in that it shares half of the smokey mountains. Similar climate. Probably a little more intact culturally since it has not been continuously mentioned as a place to move to in various publications.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
I disagree. The Upstate is a region (CSA) of about 1.3 million, which isn't drastically far off from the NC metros. Using city populations are a poor way to judge the size of SC cities since the state has extremely restrictive annexation laws and NC, by contrast, probably has some of the most liberal annexation laws in the nation.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I disagree. The Upstate is a region (CSA) of about 1.3 million, which isn't drastically far off from the NC metros. Using city populations are a poor way to judge the size of SC cities since the state has extremely restrictive annexation laws and NC, by contrast, probably has some of the most liberal annexation laws in the nation.
So your comparing the total population of the entire northern portion of SC to NC metros?

The largest metro in SC (Greenville) has only 610K.
Charlotte metro has 2.5 million, and Raleigh Durham has 1.7 million

I'm not judging cities based purely on size anyway. The northern portion of SC is quite simply boring and depressing when compared to the coastal areas of SC or the Charlotte, Triangle, or Asheville areas.

SC is also one of the poorest states with the highest crime rates and worst public education in the nation. The northern portions only great things it has going for it is the price of homes and it's close distance to Charlotte (rock hill)

Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Very good points ad Upstate SC has plenty of colleges like Clemson, Furman, Wtofford, SC-Upstate and Anderson U., among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.