Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
New York accounts for over 50% of the total, which means that LA's share of the total is quite small, despite being in the top 10. Most of the individual islands don't have very high raw numbers, on account of their small size.
true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Rochester NY, DC, Nashua NH, Buffalo and Springfield MA.

hell yea i go to Montreal a lot and all the blacks up their seem to be Haitian and to small extent Jamaican.

Toronto from what i hear is mostly black Caribbean with jamaicans running the show.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
hell yea i go to Montreal a lot and all the blacks up their seem to be Haitian and to small extent Jamaican.

Toronto from what i hear is mostly black Caribbean with jamaicans running the show.
There are quite a few Bajans in those Canadian cities. Same with Trinis too. Even in the other major Canadian cities, that is the case as well. Ottawa has a lot of Haitians due to being right next to Quebec.

I know that Detroit has a few too. Some other Upstate NY cities get some spillover due to location.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
There are quite a few Bajans in those Canadian cities. Same with Trinis too. Even in the other major Canadian cities, that is the case as well. Ottawa has a lot of Haitians due to being right next to Quebec.

I know that Detroit has a few too. Some other Upstate NY cities get some spillover due to location.
yea a lot of bajans and trinis mostly in the toronto area but the numbers arent even close to jamaicans.

Also i heard detroits Caribbean community is almost non-existent.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
yea a lot of bajans and trinis mostly in the toronto area but the numbers arent even close to jamaicans.

Also i heard detroits Caribbean community is almost non-existent.
There are PR's in SW Detroit and I've met people of a Caribbean background from Detroit when I was going to college in MI.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Haitians are the largest established community but people from francophone Africa are the fastest-growing segment of the black community in Quebec. They will likely outnumber Haitians in the near future and in some areas they already form the majority of black residents.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
I think Toronto has the largest Jamaican population in all of NA. Miami might be close though.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I think Toronto has the largest Jamaican population in all of NA. Miami might be close though.
I don't know as NYC has quite a few......Boston is up there as well.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Haitians are the largest established community but people from francophone Africa are the fastest-growing segment of the black community in Quebec. They will likely outnumber Haitians in the near future and in some areas they already form the majority of black residents.
True, as there are quite a few folks from the Congo/Zaire, Senegal, Cameroon and the Ivory Coast, among some other nations. Little Burgundy/Saint Henri/SW Montreal has been where the Black community has been concentrated for many years in the area, but it has expanded to other areas of the metro.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
True, as there are quite a few folks from the Congo/Zaire, Senegal, Cameroon and the Ivory Coast, among some other nations. Little Burgundy/Saint Henri/SW Montreal has been where the Black community has been concentrated for many years in the area, but it has expanded to other areas of the metro.
Interestingly enough, most of the pioneers of the black community in Montreal were generally English-speaking. People like musicians Oliver Jones and Oscar Peterson are their descendants. They settled in the areas you described.

Haitians only started arriving in large numbers in the 1960s, but they quickly became the most numerous group and the image of blacks in Montreal soon equalled "Haitian" in the minds of many people. Haitians were/are traditionally concentrated in the northeast part of Montreal (Montréal-Nord, Rivière-des-Prairies), although they are quite numerous and found all over Montreal, its suburbs and even across Quebec, and also spill over in fair numbers into places just across the border like Ottawa.

I have not yet been able to detect a precise settlement pattern for francophone Africans in Quebec, or for any national communities within this large and diverse group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.