U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,105,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Interesting.

Southernmost in Canada is Middle Island,
which is in the middle of Lake Erie at 41' 40" North,
farther south than the Oregon-California state line.
Farther south than Rome, Italy.

Western US-Canada border is much farther north at 49N.
Does it make Canada magically warm that one island there is south of the Oregon-California line? I keep seeing this stat come up and I'm not sure why it matters. Typically it's brought up by some to say, "Canada and California are at the same latitude. So by the transitive property Canada is just as warm as Santa Monica!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Does it make Canada magically warm that one island there is south of the Oregon-California line? I keep seeing this stat come up and I'm not sure why it matters. Typically it's brought up by some to say, "Canada and California are at the same latitude. So by the transitive property Canada is just as warm as Santa Monica!"
It's actually more than one island, it cuts through the southern end of mainland Canada in Essex county. What is your problem anyway? No one said it was as warm as California, it's just you trying to find fault with something that doesn't exist, as usual If the topic is Canada, you always have a problem with it, regardless of the actuall topic being discussed.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Because it is surprising to many people that a small part of Canada is that far south. Or to put it the other way, it may be surprising to some people that California goes that far north.

Saying that does not mean that most of Canada is like California or vice-versa so do not let it bother you.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM

1,814 posts, read 715,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Btw, speaking of the Civil War, until West Virginia was created the North was only one state wide not just in Ohio but in Pennsylvania as well. It is hard to believe it today but for a long time Virginia used to border the Ohio River and the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Until Kentucky separated from it Virginia actually touched the Mississippi as well. Imagine if Virginia had kept it's borders of 1790! It also lost the Pittsburgh area as a consequence of what many consider to have been an erroneous and possibly corrupt Supreme Court decision.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:39 PM

1,814 posts, read 715,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Is Gallipolis still in the twilight zone in terms of economic development? That area never recovered from economic declines of long ago, and I'm surprised the population is still so high in that area.
Yes, unfortunately. That us why I left the area. Gallia County's population has held fairly steady in the thirty thousand area, although Gallipolis' population has dropped from a little over five thousand when I moved there in the eighties to a little over three thousand today. It can be very difficult to find work there...one often has to know someone to even get a fast food job...which aren't just for teenagers there. The GDC is a shell of its former self, and the state is planning further cuts.
Many of the historic buildings in downtown Gallipolis have vanished since the eighties, when it was one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Ohio and still had it's circa 1900 downtown virtually intact. Several other historical buildings are deteriorating.
There are bright spots...a nice infill building was recently built facing the city park, the old Colony Theater has been converted into a dinner theater, the old Johnson's Supermarket has been converted into a nice fitness center. But, overall, it remains a very difficult area in which to land a good job.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM

390 posts, read 231,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Daniel makes a good point about strategy and invading Ohio. In fact the Confederates did send a major army up into northern Kentucky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...land_Offensive ) and there were several raids into Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan%27s_Raid ). But the railroad/supply situation in Kentucky was not as good as in Virginia and it was harder for the Confederates to supply an army in Kentucky & Ohio then it was in Virginia.

I also seem to remember that Lee did not want to go to the West (the Army of Tennessee). Instead if Jefferson Davis had sent the aggressive Stonewall Jackson (before he died) or even the competent James Longstreet to replace Bragg, the South would have done much better in the west.

Very true Robert.
The reason the confederates chose to attack Pennsylvania was to position themselves to be a threat to Washington DC.

On this subject there is a really good documentary available on Amazon prime called "The long road back to Kentucky." It is about the Civil War in KY. Civil War buffs will definitely find it interesting. By-the-way, the current northern KY cities of Ft Thomas, Ft Wright, and Ft Mitchell started out as Civil War forts set up to defend the southern approach to Cincinnati.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:08 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
one state tall

Old 11-28-2016, 07:56 PM

10,775 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Lake Erie is a big "obstacle". Do I consider Ohio "right next" to Canada? Not really. Even on a big ship it's quite a venture to get to the other side of Lake Erie.

Now Detroit on the other hand is a quick bridge or tunnel ride over to Windsor.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 PM

448 posts, read 390,116 times
But what do people who live in the southern part of the U.S. think?. To me ive always thought Ohio was northern and eastern. All them states up there are north to me.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
But what do people who live in the southern part of the U.S. think?. To me ive always thought Ohio was northern and eastern. All them states up there are north to me.
I can tell you from a long time in Louisiana, Ohio is Yankee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or