U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,748,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
That map is horrible no offense. You completely cut out the appalachian region which is as southern as anyone can get, while putting Charlotte in the south.
The map is sarcasm. He was being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM

6,526 posts, read 7,481,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
what about Michigan?

Most of Ohio is east of Michigan and south of Lake Erie. Since Lake Erie is bordered by Ontario on its north shore this is whay the "north" could be called one state wide at Ohio.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
I've never thought of Ohio as the north. Midwest, sure. Appalachian, yes. Mid-Atlantic? You bet. Some parts of the state are pure Dixie. But the north? No way.

Just my personal opinion, but the only states I would consider "the north" are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate New York, northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington and, of course, Alaska. I'm talking about places where you can see the northern lights, experience 16-18 hours of daylight in the summer, swim in natural glacially-formed lakes and drive to Canada (southern Ontario doesn't count) within a few hours. The "north" means more than "not the south," it has it's own identity. It cracks me up when Southerners call Indiana, Kansas or even California "The North."

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I've never thought of Ohio as the north. Midwest, sure. Appalachian, yes. Mid-Atlantic? You bet. Some parts of the state are pure Dixie. But the north? No way.

Just my personal opinion, but the only states I would consider "the north" are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate New York, northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington and, of course, Alaska. I'm talking about places where you can see the northern lights, experience 16-18 hours of daylight in the summer, swim in natural glacially-formed lakes and drive to Canada (southern Ontario doesn't count) within a few hours. The "north" means more than "not the south," it has it's own identity. It cracks me up when Southerners call Indiana, Kansas or even California "The North."
How is Cleveland or Akron any more southern or un-northern than many of the places you mention? Cleveland shares many features with places like Buffalo and Pittsburgh: long-standing ethnic European community, a largely industrial 'rust-belt' base, being on the Great Lakes, having winters as cold as Chicago and being further north than New York. At the very least Ohio north of Columbus is as northern as you can get.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:

I'm shocked that anyone would not consider Ohio "the north". "The North" also refers to states that fought for the union in the Civil War. Laugh all you want; every one of the states you name fought for the north. There is no way that any part of Ohio is "pure Dixie".

Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,341,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
People in real life don't care for regions. When they want to travel or vacation they either say "I'm going to California" or "I'm going to Los Angeles" and leave it at that. No one says, "I'm going to the West to vacation" at all.

Only on this forum will you see so many people jumping out of joy saying trash like "The South will rise again" or "The Northeast is the most important region of the country" or "In the West, there's less racism than anywhere else" and stuff like that. I've only seen it on this website, I got introduced to many new words describing regions altogether because of this site.

I think its retarded, and wait, people in real life, the real life I live in when I log off agree with me, because "The South" and stuff like that, no one talks about it, unless its in a book or something.
The "West" to me means "Turnwise".

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How is Cleveland or Akron any more southern or un-northern than many of the places you mention? Cleveland shares many features with places like Buffalo and Pittsburgh: long-standing ethnic European community, a largely industrial 'rust-belt' base, being on the Great Lakes, having winters as cold as Chicago and being further north than New York. At the very least Ohio north of Columbus is as northern as you can get.
I never said they were southern, only not northern. The reason? They're geographically further south. It really is that simple. I know you're not from the States, but Akron and Cleveland are about at the same latitude as New Jersey, Omaha or northern California. Pretty much the center of the country. Akron and Cleveland are certainly not The South, but they aren't the north either. By north, I mean areas along and north of 45 degrees N. That excludes cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Try Plattsburgh, Burlington and Marquette.

Residents of truly northern areas (possibly excluding the Pacific Northwest), for all of their cultural differences, have commonalities because of the climate, population density, natural setting and land use in the true north (including much of Canada).

Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm shocked that anyone would not consider Ohio "the north". "The North" also refers to states that fought for the union in the Civil War. Laugh all you want; every one of the states you name fought for the north. There is no way that any part of Ohio is "pure Dixie".
You've never been to southern Ohio, have you? Visit towns like Chillicothe, Gallipolis, Marietta and Portsmouth. You'd think you were in Georgia or Tennessee.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,341,545 times
Quote:
You've never been to southern Ohio, have you? Visit towns like Chillicothe, Gallipolis, Marietta and Portsmouth. You'd think you were in Georgia or Tennessee.
Unless, of course, you are from Georgia, or Tennessee. Those areas are as different for us as they are for you.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,748,924 times
Kazoo, you are really really really missing the point by an enormous margin. We aren't talking the continent we are talking the nation alone. Besides, you wanna talk on a global scale? You are still wrong. Everything north of the equator is the north.

But we aren't talking about global position. We are talking about position within a specific nation.

Also; saying Ohio is like Georgia and Tennessee is pretty darn ignorant. Similar in some areas, sure. But not just like them.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 02-13-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or