U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I never said they were southern, only not northern. The reason? They're geographically further south. It really is that simple. I know you're not from the States, but Akron and Cleveland are about at the same latitude as New Jersey, Omaha or northern California. Pretty much the center of the country. Akron and Cleveland are certainly not The South, but they aren't the north either. By north, I mean areas along and north of 45 degrees N. That excludes cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Try Plattsburgh, Burlington and Marquette.

Residents of truly northern areas (possibly excluding the Pacific Northwest), for all of their cultural differences, have commonalities because of the climate, population density, natural setting and land use in the true north (including much of Canada).
I think you have a different definition of 'North' than everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
You've never been to southern Ohio, have you? Visit towns like Chillicothe, Gallipolis, Marietta and Portsmouth. You'd think you were in Georgia or Tennessee.
I have been to southern Ohio. I think perhaps you've never been to Georgia or Tennessee.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM

410 posts, read 464,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think you have a different definition of 'North' than everybody else.
I would have to agree with you on that one. Two examples, the OP defines the north as anything on or north of 45 deg N; I live in Canada, and still reside south of that line. Also, the OP mentioned Buffalo, NY as being excluded from the north; this is hard to imagine considering it is directly across the river from Canada.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Places that have never been part of the South

- Anywhere in Kansas
- Anywhere in Ohio
- Anywhere in Pennsylvania
- Extreme northern Kentucky
- Northern and central Missouri
- Northern West Virginia

Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
How is northern Kentucky not the south?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
I guess I was referring to the far north. Ohio above Columbus is in the northern United States, but I've never thought of it as north. It's well south of where I am.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

- Northern West Virginia
Speaking historically this is not really true. Up through the 1850's northern west Virginia was fairly Southern with a slave market in Wheeling. Wheeling mobs broke up attempts to promote the Republican party, the Wheeling newspapers were very much anti-Abolitionist until Ohio Republican Archibald Campbell bought the Intelligencer in 1856. Francis Trollope visiting Wheeling in the 1820's noted "all that sedulous attention which in this country distinguishes a slave state." When the war came the southern elements in northern WV were expunged, many left to join the Confederate forces, some relocated behind Confederate lines, others were forcibly relocated or sent to prison camps from which many did not return. Harrison & Marion counties were stongholds of rebel guerrillas through 1865. The B&O railroad also had an impact in bringing northerners into the area. By 1860 2 of 3 heads of households in Wheeling were not native Virginians, and in Grafton 43% were not native Virginians. All this had the effect of eradicating much of the southern elements from northern WV.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I guess I was referring to the far north. Ohio above Columbus is in the northern United States, but I've never thought of it as north. It's well south of where I am.
That's like somebody from Louisiana saying they've never thought of Tennessee as part of the South because it's latitudinally north of Louisiana.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Speaking historically this is not really true. Up through the 1850's northern west Virginia was fairly Southern with a slave market in Wheeling. Wheeling mobs broke up attempts to promote the Republican party, the Wheeling newspapers were very much anti-Abolitionist until Ohio Republican Archibald Campbell bought the Intelligencer in 1856. Francis Trollope visiting Wheeling in the 1820's noted "all that sedulous attention which in this country distinguishes a slave state." When the war came the southern elements in northern WV were expunged, many left to join the Confederate forces, some relocated behind Confederate lines, others were forcibly relocated or sent to prison camps from which many did not return. Harrison & Marion counties were stongholds of rebel guerrillas through 1865. The B&O railroad also had an impact in bringing northerners into the area. By 1860 2 of 3 heads of households in Wheeling were not native Virginians, and in Grafton 43% were not native Virginians. All this had the effect of eradicating much of the southern elements from northern WV.
But the Southernness was eradicated before it even became West Virginia, so technically I'm right.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM

871 posts, read 1,957,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

- Anywhere in Kansas
- Anywhere in Ohio
- Anywhere in Pennsylvania
- Extreme northern Kentucky
- Northern and central Missouri
- Northern West Virginia
the little dixie region of northern missouri was at one time entirely inhabited by southerners and their slaves. while that culture certainly no longer predominates (mainly due to influxes from germany and midwestern states), that areas WAS part of the south culturally. the same could be said for the original settlement of illinois' little egypt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or