U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times

Advertisements

Ever realised how the 'north' is only one state wide at Ohio? In other words, the only thing separating Canada from the south is that big puddle and Ohio, and of course half of Lake Erie is technically in Canada.

Is anyone else kind of surprised how geographically far north the South is supposed to go? I mean Pennsylvania still seems firmly in the 'North', and it borders the Mason-Dixon line! By the definition of the 'technical South', East Liverpool is at the same latitude as New York City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,800,777 times
It's interesting to think about for sure, but for me the regions don't matter. I don't know why regions like Northeast, South, West, & Midwest get so much attention on here when they barely get any attention in real life.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,801,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean Pennsylvania still seems firmly in the 'North',
You've evidently never heard the moniker, "Pennsyltucky."

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
What I find wonderfully ironic is when Ohioans, New Yorkers, Chicagoans, etc. tell me I live so close to Canada -- when they technically live closer. I think people forget Canada is on the other side of the Great Lakes.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
It's interesting to think about for sure, but for me the regions don't matter. I don't know why regions like Northeast, South, West, & Midwest get so much attention on here when they barely get any attention in real life.
You just listed the entire country -- what regions are left to make your statement make sense?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

871 posts, read 1,957,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You just listed the entire country -- what regions are left to make your statement make sense?
i believe he's referring to how average folks generally dont think bout regional affiliation very much at all, and certainly not in the sense of breaking it down into 4 regions nation-wide. most people dont give a damn if eastern ohio is the midwest or northeast, at all. hell, most eastrn ohioans dont think about that type of thing. its only the people of city-data that make these delineations and do so so passionately.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,800,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
People in real life don't care for regions. When they want to travel or vacation they either say "I'm going to California" or "I'm going to Los Angeles" and leave it at that. No one says, "I'm going to the West to vacation" at all.

Only on this forum will you see so many people jumping out of joy saying trash like "The South will rise again" or "The Northeast is the most important region of the country" or "In the West, there's less racism than anywhere else" and stuff like that. I've only seen it on this website, I got introduced to many new words describing regions altogether because of this site.

I think its retarded, and wait, people in real life, the real life I live in when I log off agree with me, because "The South" and stuff like that, no one talks about it, unless its in a book or something.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 PM

i see

Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You've evidently never heard the moniker, "Pennsyltucky."
If you're implying that Pennsylvania is even remotely Southern, then I, as a person who's lived in both Pennsylvania and a Southern state, can assure you that there is nothing "Southern" about Pennsylvania at all. Rural culture doesn't necessarily mean Southern culture.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,118,191 times
Ohio to me has always seemed like the most southern, northern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or