U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,199,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You know I have been to Southern Illinois and I would have to say they have some of the prettiest women in the country in that part of the state. I guess it is that German ancestry I don't know.
The same holds true for the Hill Country in Texas.:-)

Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM

514 posts, read 667,409 times
Thumbs down OK is OK, you're not

Quote:
I would pick Oklahoma as the number 1 worst state to live in the U.S. They have the worst education system in the U.S. and the fewest libraries. They have a large amount of toll roads, although I don't know where the money goes because the roads are crappy. I doubt things will get any better with the election of a tea party governor and her dedication to spending even less on education. These are not my only reasons. Here is a list of statistics about Oklahoma.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

In second and third would be West Virginia and Mississippi (just very poor states).

Best place to live...Colorado. They have something for everyone. Boulder..very liberal, Colorado Springs...very conservative, and Denver...kind of in the middle. Just a beautiful state.
Wherever Americans live and are happy that is the best state for them. You're very arrogant to even post this. My family goes back to Oklahoma in the 1900 land rush and are still there. They love OK. To them it's the best state and you're pretty self-righteous to sit in judgment on them or any other state. Stats don't mean anything. People's happiness does.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,309,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Wherever Americans live and are happy that is the best state for them. You're very arrogant to even post this. My family goes back to Oklahoma in the 1900 land rush and are still there. They love OK. To them it's the best state and you're pretty self-righteous to sit in judgment on them or any other state. Stats don't mean anything. People's happiness does.
Wow you have a big family. There are over three and half million people in Oklahoma. I did not know that one person is related to them all, but then again it is Oklahoma.

Hey I don't like Oklahoma and you don't like me because of it. I am o.k. with that. I have nothing against your family, unless of course you are related to all 3.5 million of them and I probably would dislike a few of them.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,137,185 times
Quote:
Which state I would prefer to live in would depend on where I was in my life. As far as the places I would not reside in it would be any part of the Old Confderacy. Anything south of the M-D line, with the exception of Wash DC, and east of Texas.
... and yet literally millions and millions of people from up north are flooding the South thus it must somehow be desirable. The region has changed and is changing (mainly from what I mentioned above).

Funny thing is that I've lived in " All 3 corners". I was born and raised in the South, ( TN) have lived in MA and NH, and now live in Cali. The winters in MA and NH were brutal and nasty. The summers in TN were hot and muggy. The weather in Cali is great but its ridiculously expensive here. Other then that the people have for the most part been almost the same with some minor exceptions. Most people work at jobs, raise kids, buy houses, take vacations, talk small talk at the water cooler, and eat out at restaurants. Its the same all over.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,230,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
... and yet literally millions and millions of people from up north are flooding the South thus it must somehow be desirable. The region has changed and is changing (mainly from what I mentioned above).

Funny thing is that I've lived in " All 3 corners". I was born and raised in the South, ( TN) have lived in MA and NH, and now live in Cali. The winters in MA and NH were brutal and nasty. The summers in TN were hot and muggy. The weather in Cali is great but its ridiculously expensive here. Other then that the people have for the most part been almost the same with some minor exceptions. Most people work at jobs, raise kids, buy houses, take vacations, talk small talk at the water cooler, and eat out at restaurants. Its the same all over.
Do not stay up looking for me to move south. I am as far south as I am ever going to get.

In fact, I am seriously considering moving further north. Southcentral Alaska is getting way to crowded for my tastes. Alaska just moved up to the 47th most populated state in the 2010 Census. North Dakota is now 48th, Vermont is 49th, and Wyoming is 50th.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,137,185 times
If I had my choice and job and family didn't matter... honestly I'd pick rural Hawaii. I visited the "Big Island" about 2 years ago. As hard as this sounds to believe a lot of the island is really rural. That and some housing in those areas was somewhat reasonable considering you'd be living in tropical paradise. The people I met were just super friendly and very laid back. They made me feel right at home. Reminded me of folks back home in TN. I liked the fact that the weather was basically 75-80 all year long. The airport I landed at seriously didn't have windows in the baggage area. A lot of the schools, churches, and other buildings had screened over windows near the roofs. There is no need to anything that resembles keeping warm. Food was great too. Fish that costs a lot in Cali was dirt-cheap there. Mahi Mahi was sold like hamburger meat.

A lot of people say they would go crazy living on such a confined island. Not me. I could get used to that anyday.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,230,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
If I had my choice and job and family didn't matter... honestly I'd pick rural Hawaii. I visited the "Big Island" about 2 years ago. As hard as this sounds to believe a lot of the island is really rural. That and some housing in those areas was somewhat reasonable considering you'd be living in tropical paradise. The people I met were just super friendly and very laid back. They made me feel right at home. Reminded me of folks back home in TN. I liked the fact that the weather was basically 75-80 all year long. The airport I landed at seriously didn't have windows in the baggage area. A lot of the schools, churches, and other buildings had screened over windows near the roofs. There is no need to anything that resembles keeping warm. Food was great too. Fish that costs a lot in Cali was dirt-cheap there. Mahi Mahi was sold like hamburger meat.

A lot of people say they would go crazy living on such a confined island. Not me. I could get used to that anyday.
"Tropical" is not what I would consider "paradise." My gawd man, you will only have 12 hour days during the summer! I find that to be intolerable.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,118,398 times
I can't really pick a worst and best state, because I haven't been to all 50.

But if I were to guess I would say best = Hawaii, and worst = any of the Dakotas based on the population and stereotypes I have heard about both.

That's all this thread is, stereotypes and stats, because out of 100 ppl that post here, maybe 1, or 2 have been to every state in the US and are qualified to give a definitive answer.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,570,658 times
I don't think that there is a worst state. There are some states I'd prefer not to live in. I don't really get too excited about Louisina but I know I would enjoy myslef in Baton Rouge. Flat, hot and humid aren't my preferences. I think South Dakota around Rapid City is gorgeous. However I don't want to live there due to the cold winters. It doesn't make either state bad.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Quote:
I would pick Oklahoma as the number 1 worst state to live in the U.S. They have the worst education system in the U.S. and the fewest libraries. They have a large amount of toll roads, although I don't know where the money goes because the roads are crappy. I doubt things will get any better with the election of a tea party governor and her dedication to spending even less on education. These are not my only reasons. Here is a list of statistics about Oklahoma.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

In second and third would be West Virginia and Mississippi (just very poor states).

Best place to live...Colorado. They have something for everyone. Boulder..very liberal, Colorado Springs...very conservative, and Denver...kind of in the middle. Just a beautiful state.
I find it interesting that you bash OK for having so many toll roads. While apparently ignoring the state with the single most expensive toll road in the country. Yeah you guessed it, Colorado. Sorry but your logic is totally perverse. If toll roads are bad, then that knocks CO off the list for best state.

BTW, I lived in CO for 25 years and I love the place. But if you think it can compare to tropical islands, like Hawaii, then you are just fooling yourself.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.