U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,304,899 times

Advertisements

[quote=stan in san diego;17827946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Wow you have a big family. There are over three and half million people in Oklahoma. I did not know that one person is related to them all, but then again it is Oklahoma.

Hey I don't like Oklahoma and you don't like me because of it. I am o.k. with that. I have nothing against your family, unless of course you are related to all 3.5 million of them and I probably would dislike a few of them.[/QUOT

Get over yourself. I didn't say I didn't like you, I said your post is arrogant. I didn't say I was related to everyone in OK, I said that my family's been there since the land rush of 1900. Where do you live, BTW? And what makes you qualified to make judgments on the states?
I live right next to Oklahoma in Arkansas. I have to go into Oklahoma at least once a month.

I see you live in San Diego. I like San Diego, although too many Marines. Before you say anything about that, I was in the Marines so I can say it all that I want to without being arrogant. I would not comment about a state unless I had actually been to that state.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,783,251 times
Mississippi IMO, is far too often assumed a much worse place than it truly is. It has its redeeming qualities, but I believe the overwhelmingly rural nature of Mississippi is essentially what people like least. I think Jackson is a nice city, as is Gulfport and Biloxi. While living in Louisiana, I would sometimes visit one of my friends in Pascagoula.

While hanging with friends in central LA, I remember a hurricane (not Katrina) made its way inland, and I decided to flee using Natchez Trace as a short cut through MS, then cross over to Jackson and proceed eastbound. I hadn't traveled that stretch of road ever in life and had practically no idea what I was getting myself into.

It was pitch-dark, no street lamps, no gas stations, spanish moss everywhere, torrential rain, high winds and plenty of critters running about while I was getting lower and lower on gas. I must've seen damn near every form of wildlife imaginable that night, and they seemed just as panic-stricken as I was. Although it was dark and I was afraid of running out of gas/being eaten alive out there, the scenery was remarkably beautiful nonetheless. Haven't made it back due to the circumstances that placed me there to begin with, but would like to experience it during the day, with a full tank of gas this time.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 PM

76 posts, read 88,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
That is a fair question. The poorer the state the higher the obesity rate, the lower the education, the lower average salaries, the higher the poverty levels, the lower the opportunities etc. etc.
I can see how these statistics would be a concern, and certainly ones that need improvement, especially in MS, however, I still fail to see how any of these lessen the desirability of a place. Is overgrowth, congestion, poor air quality, high stress, cost of living etc., etc. also considered as undesirable as the reasons you state? I believe, if one is truly good, they make there own way, regardless of where they may be, or what limitations are put on them by their physical locale. MS does graduate people, who are educated. Many go to college, in MS, and become doctors, lawyers, engineers, and scientists... just like everywhere else. Salaries are inline with what the cost of living is, regardless of the state, states with higher salaries have higher costs of living. MS is mostly rural, so yes, there may be less opportunities away from the population centers, but then you learn to deal with it and make your own way, or move to an area of the state with more opportunities. The obesity rate, although the worst in MS, does have a negative impact on our health care system, it certainly would not be a factor for me in deciding if I like a place or not, unless of course the site of fat people makes me want to regurgitate. As one of the obese ones, I may have to lose weight, but I still like it here, and the food is great...so maybe I'll just die young and happy. Where there's a will, there's a way...no matter where you reign from.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM

514 posts, read 667,150 times
Smile OK is still OK

[quote=hotair2;17833329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post

I live right next to Oklahoma in Arkansas. I have to go into Oklahoma at least once a month.

I see you live in San Diego. I like San Diego, although too many Marines. Before you say anything about that, I was in the Marines so I can say it all that I want to without being arrogant. I would not comment about a state unless I had actually been to that state.
OK is still OK and so is Arkansas and all the rest of our states. You can never have enough Marines and BTW, thanks for your service. Semper fi!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,684,676 times
I think the place you love, regardless of whether it is Washington state or Mississippi is the best state (for you). All the listings made up of what state ranks tops in good qualities and standards can be an indicator of a "best state", but if a person does not thrive in the state, it's not so good is it?

I know the states with money, education, industriious people are the most desirable, however, some folks just won't fit in those states and will stay in a smaller,poorer state just because it "feels like home".

On the flip side, if a person is well educated and moneyed from one of these prosperous states, he or she won't like the poorer smaller places (unless once again their personalities fit). I don't feel as if anyone from a more prosperous state should come to a deep south state because they will be horrified (unless you like to fish or hunt). In that case it does work.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,596,830 times
Best = All 50 have something great about them

Best value University

Worst = Here's a chart of what's bad in the U.S.

NC has the worst teacher salary.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM

829 posts, read 2,596,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
ROFL! I am sorry, but the tallest peak in Maryland is Backbone "Mountain", an amazing 3,360 feet above sea level. That does not qualify as a "mountain." Not even close. LOL!

Although, Maryland does beat Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin as far as the tallest peak in concerned. So as far as having the tallest peak at least Maryland ranks 30 out of 50.

If you open your eyes and read I said MINI

Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,396,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Illinois as worst. High taxes, political corruption at every level, tolls (and we too have crappy roads with 55 mph speed limits on the "expressways"), fees for everything, coal burning electrical plants polluting the air, most watched city in the country (surveillance cameras in Chicago - we have the most), political dynasties (i.e., Stroger, Madigan, Daley), horrible budget on the verge of bankruptcy, billions in unfunded pensions, union loving, sanctuary city/illegal loving, and MOST importantly.... horrible winter weather. It was -5 degrees this morning.

I don't know what state is best, but it sure ain't Illinois.
Then leave, it's always negative comments from you about Illinois. Seriously, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, and Kentucky are all less influenced by Democrats and right next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Yes.

Best weather, people, scenery, cities, food, music, culture, and history in the United States.
I've never been there but I can tell you that the weather there would not be the best. The heat and humidity would be torture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Best = All 50 have something great about them

Best value University

Worst = Here's a chart of what's bad in the U.S.

NC has the worst teacher salary.
It's kind of funny that North Carolina has both the best value university and the worst teacher salaries.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM

58 posts, read 74,578 times
Of the states I've vistied: AZ,NV,FL,VA,MD,DC,PA,WV
and the states i'm lived in: WA,OR,CA
and from what i remember.. I never seemed to dislike any of these places.

Although I am biased when I say i dislike WA because I lived there the majority of my life. I found it extremely gloomy when it wasn't summer and the trees were so dark which make it seem a lot darker. Anyone I've known that moved to WA, liked it however.

I didn't like the slow speeds posted throughout Oregon, 50MPH on I-5 through downtown Portland was extremely slow, its no wonder I got 2 speeding tickets during the 11 months I lived there. Portland was clean and cultured, homeless people were whatever, I got used to them.

As for California, love the weather, money has stressed me out ever since coming here but its the price I pay for being happy and warm. It is nice not being wet everytime I go outside.

PS, its great to be from a state known for bestiality.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

300 posts, read 919,178 times
Worst = Montana, why? cause come on , its montana, aint nothing there .

Best = California, why? Nice weather and diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.