U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM

12,439 posts, read 10,362,218 times

Advertisements

I would pick Oklahoma as the number 1 worst state to live in the U.S. They have the worst education system in the U.S. and the fewest libraries. They have a large amount of toll roads, although I don't know where the money goes because the roads are crappy. I doubt things will get any better with the election of a tea party governor and her dedication to spending even less on education. These are not my only reasons. Here is a list of statistics about Oklahoma.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

In second and third would be West Virginia and Mississippi (just very poor states).

Best place to live...Colorado. They have something for everyone. Boulder..very liberal, Colorado Springs...very conservative, and Denver...kind of in the middle. Just a beautiful state.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM

7,526 posts, read 7,251,530 times
Illinois as worst. High taxes, political corruption at every level, tolls (and we too have crappy roads with 55 mph speed limits on the "expressways"), fees for everything, coal burning electrical plants polluting the air, most watched city in the country (surveillance cameras in Chicago - we have the most), political dynasties (i.e., Stroger, Madigan, Daley), horrible budget on the verge of bankruptcy, billions in unfunded pensions, union loving, sanctuary city/illegal loving, and MOST importantly.... horrible winter weather. It was -5 degrees this morning.

I don't know what state is best, but it sure ain't Illinois.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Illinois as worst. High taxes, political corruption at every level, tolls (and we too have crappy roads with 55 mph speed limits on the "expressways"), fees for everything, coal burning electrical plants polluting the air, most watched city in the country (surveillance cameras in Chicago - we have the most), political dynasties (i.e., Stroger, Madigan, Daley), horrible budget on the verge of bankruptcy, billions in unfunded pensions, union loving, sanctuary city/illegal loving, and MOST importantly.... horrible winter weather. It was -5 degrees this morning.

I don't know what state is best, but it sure ain't Illinois.
You know I have been to Southern Illinois and I would have to say they have some of the prettiest women in the country in that part of the state. I guess it is that German ancestry I don't know. Based on that one thing I would have to disagree, but this is just a subjective question so I guess there are no wrong answers.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,639,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I would pick Oklahoma as the number 1 worst state to live in the U.S. They have the worst education system in the U.S. and the fewest libraries. They have a large amount of toll roads, although I don't know where the money goes because the roads are crappy. I doubt things will get any better with the election of a tea party governor and her dedication to spending even less on education. These are not my only reasons. Here is a list of statistics about Oklahoma.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

In second and third would be West Virginia and Mississippi (just very poor states).

Best place to live...Colorado. They have something for everyone. Boulder..very liberal, Colorado Springs...very conservative, and Denver...kind of in the middle. Just a beautiful state.
I think it all depends on what you're looking for, if you were an educated person looking to start a small business or to retire somewhere a place like WV would be idea because there wouldn't be a whole lot of competition, the people are very friendly and the place is beautiful. If you wanted to raise a family and give them a good education WV wouldn't be a good pick. If I didn't need to work I'd love to retire to the mountains of WV and live a peaceful life. That could be done in Colorado too but it would be a lot more expensive.

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

657 posts, read 612,488 times
hawaii is probably a nice place, no?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,274,343 times
Nothing good could come out of this thread.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

12,647 posts, read 16,790,605 times
The question is too subject. There are different strokes for different folks and some may even may like Arkansas.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I think it all depends on what you're looking for, if you were an educated person looking to start a small business or to retire somewhere a place like WV would be idea because there wouldn't be a whole lot of competition, the people are very friendly and the place is beautiful. If you wanted to raise a family and give them a good education WV wouldn't be a good pick. If I didn't need to work I'd love to retire to the mountains of WV and live a peaceful life. That could be done in Colorado too but it would be a lot more expensive.
I would agree that it would be a cheap place to retire. I would agree a lot depends on what you want out of a state. I am not near retirement age so I have no interest in moving to WV.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

30,150 posts, read 16,645,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The question is too subject. There are different strokes for different folks and some may even may like Arkansas.
Agree.
I have a love/hate with Illinois.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I agree that it is subjective; however, the individual state statistics are not. A lot of older people are moving to Arkansas because it is a cheap place to retire. Oklahoma is also cheap, but it is not near as pretty as Arkansas...so costs alone are not the only reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.