U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Santa Fe?

Seriously?
Can you think of a good reason why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,180,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has some great musuems and more performing arts theatre palaces than most cities, they were not knocked down. More than any other texas city. Houston claims more downtown theatres and venues but when you count them San Antonio actually has more. Houston has more musuems though.

Having venues does not make an art city, its the perfomances in those venues that make it an art city. San Antonio's performing arts is no where near Houston Level.

Its quality not quantity. having the most KFCs per capita does not make you a good food city.

Houston's Theater District produced Tony and Grammy award winning performances. San ANtonio venues are pretty but hosts concerts and produces lower caliber performances

Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,499,210 times
Once a city reaches a certain size, it develops an "arts" profile. Most every city has museums, an orchestra, and a theater. Some cities have numerous arts organizations. But only a handful of cities can boast several arts organizations which function at a world class level. For that reason, Houston is the only city in the South that can reasonably be called an arts destination. It joins Los Angeles and San Francisco as the only three cities outside of the East/Midwest that can truly be lauded for the quality of its fine arts scene.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Once a city reaches a certain size, it develops an "arts" profile. Most every city has museums, an orchestra, and a theater. Some cities have numerous arts organizations. But only a handful of cities can boast several arts organizations which function at a world class level. For that reason, Houston is the only city in the South that can reasonably be called an arts destination. It joins Los Angeles and San Francisco as the only three cities outside of the East/Midwest that can truly be lauded for the quality of its fine arts scene.
The truth is spoken. +1

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,535,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
If Houston can be truly lauded for the quality of its fine arts scene, Miami easily can as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,807,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
If Houston can be truly lauded for the quality of its fine arts scene, Miami easily can as well.
I think so in many respects yes, I do agree with you in most ways on this especially if we consider public art which Houston lacks.

But what separates Houston is that it has one of the Top 10 Ballets in the world. They perform in Moscow as much as possible and gain crowds of 5 Million, one of the best Ballets in the world by many publicists.

Houston's Opera is also the only one in the United States to have won global awards of every branch, Tony, Emmy, Grand Prix du Disque, & Grammy's. And has been renown throughout the country as the best opera.

Houston's theater scene, now this is where Houston takes a backseat to other cities in the country especially to Chicago, New York, San Francisco, & Boston. But it still has a top 10 level Theater scene.

Houston's Symphony Orchestra lacks, its 9th in the United States but it lacks compared to all the aspects of art its good at, this one is absolutely Houston's weakest point.

Houston's art scene consists of the renown Menil Collection, which is one of the most prestigious collections of art in the country, not saying its the best here but its easily competitive with Top 8 level arts.

Houston in return is also one of the only 5 cities in the country to have permanent year round performing arts for all 4 major categories, Symphony Orchestra, Alley Theater, Opera, & Ballet.

There are many aspects about Miami, especially in arts that can stay and keep up with Houston, but overall I do firmly believe Houston has the best arts scene in the American South, excluding public arts like those you will find in Historic New Orleans or Miami, which is where Houston lacks in again in the public arts scene. While I don't think its a blowout either, but I think Houston can firmly claim the number # 1 narrowly in the American South region, with Miami & New Orleans closely right behind.

But I do definitely agree with you too, Miami should definitely be up there also, ahead of Dallas, Austin, & Fort Worth at the very least.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,618,690 times
What a bizarre list -- where exactly does it say that Contemporary Art is one of the criteria? Where's Los Angeles?

Also I think there's a little misunderstanding here, why are some members on here lumping in music and/or dance? That's another whole set of criteria. You can argue that music is artistic but you can say that about any creative endeavor, lets throw in film, architecture, gardening/landscape, etc. The list pertains only to visual arts (i.e. painting/sculpture).

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,180,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

1. New York City
2. Santa Fe
3. San Francisco
4. Washington DC
5. Dallas
6. Chicago
7. Houston
8. Boston
9. San Antonio
10. Fort Worth

The list is crap. The end.
This would be my 9personal) top ten art cities)

1. New York City
2. Washington DC
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. San Francisco
6. Philadelphia
7. Boston
8. Los Angeles
9. Minneapolis
10. Atlanta

The most visited Museums (single museum, not a collection of museums or districts) in the US in order of the City they are in are as follows:

1. DC
2. NY
3. Chicago
4. SF
5. Houston
6. Boston
7. Los Angeles
8. Indianapolis
9. Philadelphis

NY and DC pack a punch in numbers of highly patronized museums.
Chicago undoubtedly comes in right after.

San Francisco, Houston, Boston and Philly are all interchangeable for the 4th to 7th spot.

LA would probably come in next.

Then there is a group of midwest and NE cities like Minneapolis, Indianapolis, etc.

Then I would say Atlanta, DFW and Miami.

Santa Fe I would probably rank top 25, but certainly not number two. I don't care how many of you send me rep comments telling me how many galleriies are in Santa Fe or how many people go there to paint.

To Rank those things ahead of the Smithsonian museums, The National Gallery, The Museums in Chicago etc,, is just pure madness. I have been to Santa Fe, no need to tell me I should see the place before I talk. I HAVE.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM

3,698 posts, read 4,534,237 times
NYC, DC, CHICAGO are top three EASILY. Come on now...

Old 02-20-2011, 01:51 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
If they are counting the art sales market on a per capita basis, Santa Fe deserves its spot on that basis alone. When I worked for a gallery in Santa Fe, we would have several customers a week who would fly in from Germany, Australia, NYC, etc. for a couple of days, just to buy art and we were one of dozens of galleries.

Also, it is probably one of the only 80,000 population cities in the country with an internationally known Opera. I have also known an unusual number of dancers and other performance artists living in Santa Fe. I mean if you go to New York city and ask the first thousand people you see what they do, may 10 of them will say they make their living in the arts. In Santa Fe, that number may be 200 or more out of a thousand. That may be an exaggeration, but it is not hyperbole.

Now if you want to eliminate Santa Fe from the list because it does not qualify as a city, that is one thing. But you cannot disqualify it for not being 'arty' enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or