U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlpepl View Post
Clearly you have never been to Providence because last time I checked there are more "modern artists" living in Pawtucket then in Houston and Chicago. The fact that a city in Texas is considered even the slight bit in a category with NYC is laughable aside from Austin of course..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normlpepl View Post
As for Houston or Bushland being better in terms of art then Austin painting wise maybe film wise...yeah right since when did something of artistic merit get filmed in a city where people enjoy being cowboys...
LMAO, pure ignorance. The first post was ridiculous to begin with then you ending it with except Austin clearly shows you know nothing of Texas. Houston and Dallas are light years ahead of Austin.

As for your second post you should have quit while your reputation was only wounded. Its gone to hell after that second post. It showed ignorance reigns supreme in your world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
As for Houston or Bushland being better in terms of art then Austin painting wise maybe film wise...yeah right since when did something of artistic merit get filmed in a city where people enjoy being cowboys
It is quite evident that you know NOTHING about Houston.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It is quite evident that you know NOTHING about Houston.
It's quite evident the poster knows little outside their own cynical and insular world.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's quite evident the poster knows little outside their own cynical and insular world.
doesn't sound like he is good at rhetoric either.

Just because something is known for something doesn't mean it lacks other things.

You said New England was known for Nautical Art (which it is) and he understood from that statement that you were implying that New England had nothing but Nautical art.

very shoddy reasoning I would say.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:03 PM

940 posts, read 1,737,922 times
Houston only paints cowboys, Santa Fe only paints Indians, New England only paints boats, and LA only paints surfers.

NY is the best cause they paint Pizza. Who doesn't like to look at pizza?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
doesn't sound like he is good at rhetoric either.

Just because something is known for something doesn't mean it lacks other things.

You said New England was known for Nautical Art (which it is) and he understood from that statement that you were implying that New England had nothing but Nautical art.

very shoddy reasoning I would say.
Indeed, indeed.

How's the art scene up on the moon by the way? The waxing and waning Earth and being out in the cosmos must inspire a whole cornucopia of artistry. I'm still waiting on Richard Branson's Spaceport America, I'll be among the first to shell out the $200,000 to go into orbit :-)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Indeed, indeed.

How's the art scene up on the moon by the way? The waxing and waning Earth and being out in the cosmos must inspire a whole cornucopia of artistry. I'm still waiting on Richard Branson's Spaceport America, I'll be among the first to shell out the $200,000 to go into orbit :-)
It is captivating. you would not believe the views I get from up here. And the colors!!!

Ha ha, I wish I had 200K, there is a beautiful old mansion round the corner I could buy with that and have restored.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,237 times
Default Yes LA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LA?Surely you jest.LA excels in Contemporary Art,but the Classics and Fine Art should be left to the old guard.Boston,Philadelphia,NYC,Boston and D.C.
Yes, LA.

And, not just in contemporary art.

Together, the Norton Simon and the Getty Museum have an enviable collection of art from the Medieval to the Post-Impressionist periods. They are both collections of masterpieces with varying degrees of depth in certain areas. Add what there is at LACMA and LA's coverage in these areas rivals what there is in Boston, Philadelphia, and even DC.

The Getty also has one of the two preeminent collections of ancient art (Greek and Roman) in the nation. It is a collection with lots of depth, better depth overall I would argue than the Met's collection.

LA's weakness is really in modern art, but it more than makes up for it with arguably the nation's best collection of postwar art at MOCA.

Postwar art is also a speciality of many of the private collectors in LA. Perhaps, the best blue chip collection of such art in the nation calls LA home, the Broad Collection. In a year or two, the Broad will move into its new building across the street from MOCA and Gehry's Walt Disney Hall.

The work of these museums is supported by a lot of galleries in LA. LA rivals New York as a production center for contemporary art due in no small part to the high number of top artists who graduated from LA Art schools. Top artists in the US are usually represented by galleries in at least two cities, LA and New York, that is whether they call LA home or not.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,341,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Nope. Santa Fe belongs. The town is overrun with artists, artisans and craftspeople, and international connoisseurs know it. It's not famous as an art city because it isn't as big as New York, but if half the galleries in town can sell to an international market of buyers who are personal contacts, you're one of the top art towns in the country. There are dozens of much, much larger cities around the US that are dwarfed by its' prominence.

It ain't the size of the city - it's the caliber of what's there, and whether folks with $ to spend know that. You don't have to be a big city to achieve that. You just have to be good.
I agree. Santa Fe and surrounds, including Taos and high road to taos, all belong....depends on size of city we are talking about. And, it seems that some people confuse this subject with 'numbers of artists practicing' or 'size of collections in museums'. These are potentially two variables which answer the question, but these are not inherently the answer.

I would add Laguna Beach-impressive. And they have an art school. And began as an artist's colony over 100 years ago. They have the resources, similar to Santa Fe, to have collections and visiting work that would normally go to a much larger city.

btw, I dont think the fact that 'europeans' buy art somewhere is the defining factor for being on this list, either.....

I do think it would be fun to have a list of poseur cities, where great art is 'supposed to be made', or where many ppl calling themselves 'artistes' live and work-i don't want to point any fingers, but we all know these places exist.....
okay, what the heck-i will go first:
Portland, OR
Just kidding; i dont want to start trouble-(:

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-29-2011 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,831,265 times
A bit Texas centric list? 4 out of the 10 are Texas cities? Ft. Worth? San Antonio? Just because a museum houses a Monet doesn't exactly make you an "Arts" city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or