Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 311,955 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this or not, I assumed it probably would be. Anyways, just wanted to get some other views on similar situations to hear your stories. I guess it probably has to do with the economy, but I have always been one to want to travel around the US and have always had liked to just get up and go. I have lived in San Diego a bit, driven cross country, etc... I am in and have grown up in the midwest and have plans to move (somewhere out west.) The problem is, I just feel in a rut and trapped right now as I can't get out. I am sure it is only temporary, but some days I don't even want to read this message board as I know I am not very close to making the move I want to, and it would just irritate me knowing this. I had started my own business about 3 years ago and am still waiting for a large deal to go through, so it has been a journey. A lot of sacrifice to try to make it on my own in a place I don't enjoy, so that hopefully soon I could go somewhere I have been planning and have the resources that I need to be more financially stable. Anyways, it gets a bit depressing time and time again, but, as I had said, I am sure with the economy my story is really minute. I would love to hear some other feelings in your own situation in regards to being in a rut (I am sure of the obvious, such as kids, job, family ,etc..., just wasn't sure about other situations.)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I know how you feel. In the past two years, I've graduated from college with a worthless degree, had no job prospects, moved 12 hours from home to find a job, lost my job, started my own business that failed, found a job I absolutely hated and now I'm trying to get my business started up again. It's been a rough two years to be sure. My faith in Jesus Christ is the only thing that keeps me going. Trust in God and He'll get you through this rut.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I have a worthless college degree myself. My skill set is not in high demand. I actually got my foot in the door at a local place, but they had me doing something that I could have just as easily done without a degree -- and even then, my boss still didn't like the job I did even though many of the people I was actually out in the field working with put in good words for me. So then I lost that job, and I've been trying to figure out what to do next since. (It doesn't help that a woman I envisioned myself growing old with broke my heart recently either.)

The only difference in my life now versus six years ago is the ~$60,000 of college loan debt that I can't pay back. And I can't borrow any more to get a different degree either. I've recently taken some steps to see if I can get a job somewhere as a substitute teacher, and then get state certification so that maybe I can become a full-time teacher with my own room, and then pay off this debt and save some money to go back to graduate school without having to borrow. Debt is slavery, and I want to be free.

The good news is, nobody is dependent upon me right now.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Stupidbicyclist ~ It's no comfort but you are definitely not alone. You are in much company, with millions of people, feeling in a rut for one reason or another. And the timing for this thread is really ironic, because . . .

Just this morning, someone asked me what could change to make me look forward to coming to work. And that person got my honest answer ~ nothing! I didn't get to retire when I planned to and have to work a few more years because of the health insurance thing. There are numerous other people in my age group ~ an alarming amount of them at my job ~ who share the very same bitterness. (My husband is self-employed, which went okay until recently. He cannot collect unemployment, which is scary.)

I have to remind myself often that I am lucky to have a good job. In my mind I know that. But in my heart I would choose to retire and let someone else have the job.

The US, if not the world, is in a rut of its own. We have the young(er) population, with and without families, unable to find satisfactory employment, and businesses continue to close. We also have the Baby Boomers who WANT to retire and can't, so they feel forced to keep working (in a nation that doesn't like to employ elders). It's a nasty mess, and it isn't going to change overnight. It's proving to be a long, long goat trail to travel.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I have a worthless college degree myself. My skill set is not in high demand. I actually got my foot in the door at a local place, but they had me doing something that I could have just as easily done without a degree -- and even then, my boss still didn't like the job I did even though many of the people I was actually out in the field working with put in good words for me. So then I lost that job, and I've been trying to figure out what to do next since. (It doesn't help that a woman I envisioned myself growing old with broke my heart recently either.)

The only difference in my life now versus six years ago is the ~$60,000 of college loan debt that I can't pay back. And I can't borrow any more to get a different degree either. I've recently taken some steps to see if I can get a job somewhere as a substitute teacher, and then get state certification so that maybe I can become a full-time teacher with my own room, and then pay off this debt and save some money to go back to graduate school without having to borrow. Debt is slavery, and I want to be free.

The good news is, nobody is dependent upon me right now.
Maybe you can try to get employment at a college/university(a private one in particular). Maby times, you can take classes for free or a reduced price due to benefits provided by the institution. If you have kids, they can go to college for free and they can go to another college covered under Tuition Exchange. I know people here in Syracuse that work at Syracuse University and live in the city of Syracuse that don't have to pay for college for their children, as the SCSD has the Say Yes to Education program where SCSD graduates can go to a list of schools for free. So, there are options out there for people.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM

130 posts, read 336,084 times
I am in a rut too so don't feel alone. I really want to move and I have money saved but the economy is so bad. During better times I would feel more confident about getting a job in a new city but it's so hard. I am a new grad so I don't have much experience and I am finding it extremely hard to get my foot in the door. There just aren't enough entry level positions. Everyone says not to move without a job but at this rate I will never move at all. I find it so frustrating. I just pray that everything works out in the end.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM

83 posts, read 195,096 times
I graduated college last year, got a full time job then laid off. Something I didn't want to do but wanted to try the whole 9-5 thing. After getting laid off I got wild and eventually got a job making $10 a hr. I had always wanted to travel and the oppurtunity struck I got up and left making the decesion 2 weeks before I moved. I didn't find a job for a month and a half now I am making $7.50 an hr under the table. Enough to pay rent and go out here and there but it's not what I thought. I don't like it but I don't hate it... I am waiting to see how it goes but yes I am stuck in a rut too barely knowing anyone, bored, half depressed, making a little bit of money with a college degree I will probably never use. Idk why I just typed all this but props to you for getting up and going, traveling.. I had always wanted to travel and most other people were all talk eventually I would like to go other places but I am trying to get my feet grounded here then move on or move home... Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.