U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times

Advertisements

This thread is concerned with the relationships between counties and cities/towns within a state (any state other than the New England states, NY and WI). I am confused, so please read what I currently know, then help me.

Okay, so up here in New England, a state can be divided into counties, just like any other state in the U.S. Then, each county is comprised of incorporated cities and towns. 100% of the area within a county belongs to an incorporated city or town. No matter where you live, you live in either a city or a town. This can be illustrated in a rudimentary way, as follows:

Now, in all other states, a state is divided into counties, just like any other state in the U.S. However, a county is not necessarily 100% incorporated as a city or town (or other type of municipality). Instead, a county would contain cities or towns that are incorporated, but doesn't necessarily occupy 100% of the area of the county. Therefore, it's possible to live in a county but not in a city/town. This can be illustrated as follows:

So, I would like to know if my understanding of geography in most U.S. states is correct, as illustrated above. Anyone know about this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
I know that in Michigan and Minnesota, areas that aren't part of cities are incorporated into townships, which are sort of like New England towns, but usually less organized (unless it's a Michigan charter township, which is very similar to a city). Southern states, as far as I know, don't have towns or townships. The Atlanta metro has some highly-populated areas that are totally unincorporated and use only county services, and I'm fairly sure it's the same in North Carolina. It's always seemed really inefficient to me, but that's just how they do it down there.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I know that in Michigan and Minnesota, areas that aren't part of cities are incorporated into townships, which are sort of like New England towns, but usually less organized (unless it's a Michigan charter township, which is very similar to a city). Southern states, as far as I know, don't have towns or townships. The Atlanta metro has some highly-populated areas that are totally unincorporated and use only county services, and I'm fairly sure it's the same in North Carolina. It's always seemed really inefficient to me, but that's just how they do it down there.
Actually, NC has townships, similar to how you described MI and MN.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
In Georgia, the counties are the only thing that matter. The cities and towns are just for decoration on a map.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM

15,005 posts, read 31,375,582 times
Alabama and Florida work like the second example. You have county and city, if you live inside the city limits you get city police and fire protection and other services, if you live outside the city limits (unincorporated) you must depend on county deputies and volunteer fire depts. A "city" can be as small as 2000 people. I never have really understood the whole "township" thing up North.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,727,827 times
You are correct about the political divisions in many Southern states, and Western states too, if I'm not mistaken.

If I have the correct picture, Pennsylvania has a system like that which Kazoopilot describes for MI. In PA what would be called a town in most states is called a borough. Same thing, just a different name. Areas outside the boundaries of cities or boroughs are divided into townships, which have some sort of municipal government, but usually are more rural, and provide fewer services, than cities or boroughs.

I think New Jersey also has some sort of system where all land in the state is incorporated. Not sure about that one, but I think this is correct, and I believe that the model is similar to or the same as the New England system.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
You are correct about the political divisions in many Southern states, and Western states too, if I'm not mistaken.

If I have the correct picture, Pennsylvania has a system like that which Kazoopilot describes for MI. In PA what would be called a town in most states is called a borough. Same thing, just a different name. Areas outside the boundaries of cities or boroughs are divided into townships, which have some sort of municipal government, but usually are more rural, and provide fewer services, than cities or boroughs.

I think New Jersey also has some sort of system where all land in the state is incorporated. Not sure about that one, but I think this is correct, and I believe that the model is similar to or the same as the New England system.
NJ has townships that cover 100% of the state, i believe.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
NJ has townships that cover 100% of the state, i believe.
Yes. Every inch of NJ is part of an incorporated municipality, be it a city, town, borough, village or township. I think the difference between the various types of municipalities is more historic than legal.

Map: http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/NJ_munis.png

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM

144 posts, read 223,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

Having many redundant and duplicate services in one county seems kind of inefficient too.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,167,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In Georgia, the counties are the only thing that matter. The cities and towns are just for decoration on a map.
LOL, that is true in all 159 of them except for Fulton. All but 10,000 of the 1.1 million residents live in a city now. This is however an exceptional situation. I bet one could add up the populations of the the top 20 cities not in Fulton county in the rest of Georgia and it wouldn't even reach a million still. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or