Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Truly Love Living In The City?
Yes/Tak 45 76.27%
No/Nie 15 25.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times

Advertisements

For most of us that are active on CDF(city data forums) are true city lovers and it seems that the ones that are city bashers or bash the city they live in or the nearest big city are not city lovers. For me I would be perfectly fin raising a family downtown Milwaukee or MKE for the outsiders. I never lived in a house bigger than 1500 sq/ft and I just don't need a lot of space. I would be perfectly happy with 1125 sq/ft downtown. Granted downtown MKE is not downtown NYC, Chicago or LA(okay bad example) but there is still something about living in the city that I love. Call me silly but I feel safer in a city, I feel more peaceful living in a city. I don't mind traffic as is displayed by my ability to sit patiently in 6hr traffic in Chicago in a snow storm. Sirens don't bother me, horns don't bother me. Really nothing bothers me about city life, yeah little annoyances but nothing that drives me batty.

So do you truly love living in the city, weather its Cleveland or the inland Empire. Do you see yourself as a city person for the rest of your life? People always tell me that "once you have kids and grow up, you will want to be out if the city". I am not so sure of that, 28 going on 29 and still loving the city. Don't get me wrong I could live on 10 acres out in the sticks but I just prefer to live amongst the crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,491,008 times
I am definitely a city person, but I also LOVE the outdoors. I'm a person who loves to LIVE in the city but takes "outdoorsy" trips all the time to get away from it all. I love backpacking and camping in isolated woodlands, but I could easily live within 5 miles of downtown for the rest of my life because I love that there is always something new in the city and every day can be an adventure.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,130 times
I don't think city data is mainly made up of city lovers. There are some forums on here that have nothing to do with cities. And the main site (not the forum) has information on every community in America...from small towns to big cities.

Anyway, I think there are pros and cons to living in a city. And there are pros and cons to not living in a city.

Some people put cities on a pedestal and are unwilling to admit the flaws of cities.

If you truly love city life or truly love rural life, more power to you. But I think very few people are 100% city or 100% rural. I think the majority of people are a mix and they just need to pick whatever works best for them.

Last edited by city_data91; 02-20-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,511,808 times
I love the city. Wouldn't trade it for anything right now (except springtime).

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM

15,961 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't think city data is mainly made up of city lovers. There are some forums on here that have nothing to do with cities. And the main site (not the forum) has information on every community in America...from small towns to big cities.

Anyway, I think there are pros and cons to living in a city. And there are pros and cons to not living in a city.

Some people put cities on a pedestal and are unwilling to admit the flaws of cities.

If you truly love city life or truly love rural life, more power to you. But I think very few people are 100% city or 100% rural. I think the majority of people are a mix and they just need to pick whatever works best for them.
^
This
Minor peeve of mine that so many people in this particular sub-forum seem to think that because the site is named City Data that it is, or should be, a pro city forum, when in fact there are nearly a hundred sub-forums on CD and only two or three of those with a focus on "city life".

FWIW I lived half of my life in the city and just recently moved to a small town. I prefer the small town feeling.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,604,351 times
Doesn't "tak" mean "thank you"?

If I never spend another minute in a city bigger than Victoria TX, I will be quite contented. I avoid cities completely. I live within two hours of Houston, San Antonio and Austin, and haven't been in any of them in more than 3 years. I've been to the Valley a few times, and it is bad enough in McAllen, but Harlingen and Brownsville are not so bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nie, Nyet.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,356,133 times
No, I hate big cities. I'm a small town guy -- wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I enjoy visiting big cities on occasion, but it's always nice coming home to my small, friendly town. Visiting large cities helps remind me why I love where I live.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,356,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's Polish, not Russian. Tak means yes in Polish.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,491,008 times
The thing about living in the city that I love so much is being around people. Take a couple days ago for example, when the weather here in Pittsburgh hit 65 degrees. It was awesome to see people EVERYWHERE just enjoying the weather, sunbathing in Shenley Park, eating ice cream, walking around the little shops on the streets and eating outside and just enjoying life. It was so refreshing and fun to share that taste of spring during the tail end of a long cold winter with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.