U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 3,309 times
Default Who knew picking a place to live could be so difficult?

I'm from prestigious Westchester County, New York. Like most others from around here my family had a second home in Stuart florida that we used to vacation to. Ever since I was little I hated new york and thrived in florida. I love tropical, humid weather, the beach, sunshine and rain. I hate the cold winters, potholes, insane taxes, and general New York lifestyle. However, now I'm at a point in my life where I'm getting ready to start the initial process of planning out where I want to go. I was so for sure on Florida (Jupiter area) however the more I read these forums the more I'm turned off to the idea of moving to Florida. When I look towards an alternative I'm only greeted with "Texas sucks" "nevada sucks" "California sucks". I like the outdoors, I'm a bodybuilder, I work from home, own my own company. I'm 18 years old, make 60k+ a year, have 500k+ in savings and, at the current rate of growth potential, I'll be pushing 100k a year in earnings by the time I'm 22. So heres my question.

You're 18, plan to buy in 2 years.
Can buy a 600k house, cash, no mortgage
Tropical location

Where would you buy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM

11,465 posts, read 10,631,042 times
Honolulu.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
How are you earning so much since 18? Bodybuilding??

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,212,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah that stuck out like a sore thumb to me too...unless they are trust fund baby.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah that stuck out like a sore thumb to me too...unless they are trust fund baby.
Then "earning" should be changed to "getting" if that is the case......Now I want to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,291,677 times
If you're 18 buying a house should be off the radar for awhile until you totally figure out exactly what you want to do, where you want to live, and whether or not you get married or whatnot. When I was 18 I had no clue what I wanted to do. I'm 33 now and still rent and honestly- the way jobs are these days its actually a good thing to be able to suddenly pick up and move versus have to sell a house.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 3,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
If you're 18 buying a house should be off the radar for awhile until you totally figure out exactly what you want to do, where you want to live, and whether or not you get married or whatnot. When I was 18 I had no clue what I wanted to do. I'm 33 now and still rent and honestly- the way jobs are these days its actually a good thing to be able to suddenly pick up and move versus have to sell a house.
I'm waiting until I'm 20.

Quote:
Then "earning" should be changed to "getting" if that is the case......Now I want to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong!
Not inherited

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No trust fund
Quote:
lol, bodybuilding is a hobby, no earnings there. Just strong connections and an innovative mind. Salary is just a job (telecommute, steady..so there's no need to be anywhere in particular other then wherever I'd like to live) . Current savings owes lots of credence to stocks. Started when I was 12 and got in heavy during the crash in '08, which was an opportune time to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.