U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM

453 posts, read 569,540 times

Advertisements

Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,352 times
It is a shame, the way this country has allowed the insurance companies to profit. One thing that should not be for profit is health.

I was a clinical nurse for years and then I worked for and then sold health insurance. The high deductible plans
are the biggest scam perpetrated on the American Public that I've ever seen. They have allowed profits to go into the billions for the insurance companies while actually providing less treatment, especially for those in middle income ranges.

People pay sometimes upwards of $1200.00 monthly for their plan, but a family deductible of 2400 to 2700 or a single deductible of 1200 to 2400 before the plan actually kicks in and terrible prescription plans ( for major plan now like United healthcare and bcbs) is sometime not reasonable or in the budget after paying for the plan itself. Consequently people go without the echo-cardiograms, the check and removal of cancerous moles and so on and so forth. The insurance compnaies knew this would happen when devising these plans. This saves themmoney but also makes them a lot more money as well.

It really is just better to get a large disaster hospitalization plan and get your drugs from Canada. If people are not going ot be able to afford the extra treatment anyway they might as well forget paying 12,000 dollars a year for a plan.

My son has JD, and he currently gets his insulin from Canada at his doctors suggestion.

It is such a joke because when our congress and prez gave it up to the Republicans the insurance companies won, when they did not insist on public health insurance, or at least a public option the insurance companies were celebrating with champagne.

Maryland is horrible actually the cost has increased significantly over the last two years, there is a concentration of doctors and some good ones but you better have the bucks or the premium gold insurance plan...or be a Congressman.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,665,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctantiques View Post
It is a shame, the way this country has allowed the insurance companies to profit. One thing that should not be for profit is health.
In a capitalistic society and market-based industry, profit is the engine that allows companies to churn. Profit margin is what companies focus on because they are always looking for ways to increase profits and decrease or at least maintain expenditure levels. Nothing wrong with that. That's not to say that insurance companies aren't "tough love" when it comes to certain medical procedures and expense limits being covered.

I am taking up for the health insurance industry in this instance for one reason: for every $1 of policy or service sold, insurance companies only make 2.2 cents.

2.2 cents. What can any of you, or me, buy with 2.2 cents? Overhead such as equipment and facility maintenance and staff, paperwork processing (which again ties back into staff), government regulatory fees (including fines), government crap (oops, taxes) are among the things that the remaining 97.8 cents is devoted to.

Collaboratively, I don't call health insurance companies evil. Not to say that they don't do evil-seeming things, but face it, we're dependent on them as a society. As for the 46 million Americans who supposedly aren't insured, state and federal government programs would help many in the lower-income bracket become insured. Basic "skin-and-bones" policies with high deductibles can be found (and I've done my searchin' before) starting as low as $20-25/month. There's no excuse that many of those 46 million Americans "can't 'afford'" health insurance.

When government becomes more and more involved in regulating and analyzing what insurance companies do, that comes at a price. We don't want to pay higher taxes, so we pay higher premiums. The "Affordable Health Care Act" or whatever the crap its official name is from last year will not make health care more affordable for the average American, let's face it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,665,659 times
Oh, and as for states with best healthcare, the best research facilities and medical schools are found in California, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Frankly, I would go with any of those states, but my top pick may have to be Texas because of the quality, types and concentration of care found at Houston's Texas Medical Center, the largest in the entire world.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 PM

3,988 posts, read 3,333,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Best in Texas & largest of its kind in the whole World: Texas Medical Center in Houston
It's good if you can afford it. Texas has among the worst health care access in the country. Here's where you go in Houston without insurance:

Ben Taub Hospital - Houston
Ben Taub Hospital charges emergency room patient for waiting | khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Health News (http://www.khou.com/news/health/Hospital-charges-emergency-room-patient-for-waiting--114189024.html - broken link)

Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 PM

390 posts, read 546,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Best Health Care among states to me is a reference to how many people in the state can access quality health care whether they can afford to pay it or not.

States whose leaders openly balk at poor people and make them feel like crap cause they cant afford to see a doctor should be the last to brag about health care imo.

In that respect, the US as a whole sucks royally. This is our great national shame as far as Im concerned. That the health of fellow human beings has become a political issue is beyond me.
Hear! Hear! Well said

Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM

8,945 posts, read 7,333,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Basic "skin-and-bones" policies with high deductibles can be found (and I've done my searchin' before) starting as low as $20-25/month. There's no excuse that many of those 46 million Americans "can't 'afford'" health insurance.
Please give me a link to information regarding insurance this cheap. I actually need health insurance right now, but the cheapest I've found was $150+ per month, and that's assuming I'm in perfect health. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd rather do it that way. Thanks.

Edit: I just managed to find some for possibly $80 per month, but that's still more than I can afford and to get that quote it didn't even ask about my health, so obviously I'm skeptical on that one.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
Cuba
If by "state" we mean "nation" than France or Sweden might be about the highest. Among more Capitalistic nations Ireland and Singapore look fairly good too. Cuba does well considering its development level though.

If by "state" we mean "US states" Massachusetts or Hawaii both look to have support. Some things I read indicate Minnesota is pretty good too. Of "red states" the Dakotas and Nebraska look like they might be the best.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM

630 posts, read 333,641 times
Everyone has access to helath care. The liberals crying wolf to expand govt is political. Theres no need for more health care, food stamps, SSI, WIC, Pell Grants, HUD, SS and the myriad of other FED programs that pamper the poor in this country

Contrary to the liar in chief the sky isnt falling

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM

5,380 posts, read 2,173,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
Everyone has access to helath care. The liberals crying wolf to expand govt is political. Theres no need for more health care, food stamps, SSI, WIC, Pell Grants, HUD, SS and the myriad of other FED programs that pamper the poor in this country

Contrary to the liar in chief the sky isnt falling

Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.