Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,646,205 times

Advertisements

I from the south originally so here's my take,

What I like about the Midwest:

Pragmatism: down to earth and practical attitudes, when it snows you go to work, you don't sit at home in fear
Work ethic/can do attitude: You work hard and play hard (no cheating)
Generally upbeat and positive
Face Value: Most things can be taken literally. People here don't play the angles like they do back east
Diversity: This actually surprised me, I wasn't expecting to see so many cultures crossing
Lack of fear: People here are not as scared of others as they are on the east coast
Education: As mentioned before highly educated populations without the annoying snobby attitudes
Laid back culture: Definately see the seedings of California and the rest of the west coast here
Political views: Liberal
Winter Recreation: I can actually downhill and xc ski without leaving the metro area.
Sense of community: Nuff said

Favorite City without a dought is Chicago, with the Twin Cities a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post

Pragmatism: down to earth and practical attitudes, when it snows you go to work, you don't sit at home in fear
Face Value: Most things can be taken literally. People here don't play the angles like they do back east
Diversity: This actually surprised me, I wasn't expecting to see so many cultures crossing
Lack of fear: People here are not as scared of others as they are on the east coast
Education: As mentioned before highly educated populations without the annoying snobby attitudes
Laid back culture: Definately see the seedings of California and the rest of the west coast here
Winter Recreation: I can actually downhill and xc ski without leaving the metro area.

I agree with most of this, but I wouldn't say most of the Midwest is liberal. The major cities lean liberal, but I think the region is moderate overall, conservative in many areas

Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,268,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post

Really? That is actually one of the few things that really annoy me about most Americans I know, most of them obviously Midwesteners, because that's where I lived. I don't know how it is in the East or South but compared to what I am used to people just always beat around the bush.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 AM

737 posts, read 1,646,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Really? That is actually one of the few things that really annoy me about most Americans I know, most of them obviously Midwesteners, because that's where I lived. I don't know how it is in the East or South but compared to what I am used to people just always beat around the bush.
Yeah, back home there is always an angle that is being played it seems. You are always being mentally sized up and treated accordingly. You learn that from a very early age there.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was thinking the person maybe meant "both" but said "neither." I think Indiana has some towns in the Eastern Time Zone and some in Central. And maybe you could have said some in "Neither", in a way, as a few towns in Indiana didn't have Daylight Savings Time. Although I think they standardized a few years ago so they all do now.
Yes, Indiana is divided between Eastern and Central time. So is Michigan. And yes, we sold out and now observe daylight savings time, statewide, no exceptions.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,073,017 times
Nice people, nice small towns, was born there, but the hard-dirt and heat of the deserts is my thing.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Midwest will revive.Growth in Dakotas is phenomenal, and Indiana is back.
No, Indiana is not even remotely back The only exception is suburban Indianapolis.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
It really depends where one lives in the Midwest with regard to educational attainment. The western Midwest and Great Plains left the economic transition away from heavily weighted on manufacturing and industrial to a good diversified mix. The eastern Midwest was quite a bit slower in this transitionary process. Also, the eastern Midwest tended to suffer much more accutely from the brain drain phenomenon to the bigger cities and suburban areas of the region as well as elsewhere.

I live in a severe transition zone, otherwise known as the Ohio Valley. The cultural clashes and divides here are pretty interesting. Southern Indiana and the Louisville area are a mixture of the South, Midwest, and Appalachia combined.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 PM

50 posts, read 144,393 times
i have family in a suburb of kansas city, ks called leawood. its my favorite place in the world. i live in los angeles and hate the traffic and over population. in leawood, in addition to a lot of the midwest, there is a small town feel, but still plenty to do. my family knows all of their neighbors, live only minutes away from amazing schools, have access to many movie theaters and shopping malls, and a lot of cultural activities.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
I lived in KCMO for a year many years ago but had to get out. It wasn't the city itself. My image of KC before I got there was of a flat and uninteresting city. It's actually pleasantly rolling and has a lot to offer. As someone who grew up near saltwater, however, I never got over the feeling that I was isolated. Mountains might have helped in this regard to make me feel connected to something. It's this sameness for miles and miles that I find almost oppressive. I am glad I had the opportunity to live there, however, and can understand why people who grew up there could never live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.