Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What wedding? One of Di's boys finally getting married I take it?

Oh yeah, I like Top Gear. They play off each other brilliantly and are a good mix. Personal favorite is not Jeremy though, it would have to be James May. He cracks me up with his dry humor.
Yeah its Prince William getting married to Kate Middleton.

And it is good but the fact that its scripted takes a bit out of it but i think May is the best. I just get the impression from Hammond that he wants to be Clarkson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
My question is, where would an American get a random British flag??
Buy it off the internet?
Flag shop? Pretty common in a country with residents from almost every corner of the globe. In fact, from the coffeeshop where I am sitting, I can walk to a shop and buy a Union Jack in about ten minutes (actually that would be from a Celtic music shop which happens to sell Irish, Scottish and U.K. flags) and there is a shopping mall not a 10 minute drive from here which carries flags of the world. I could buy a Libyan flag while I'm at it ;-)

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
The way I view it, the British sort of ride under our wing and dodge a lot of the criticism that the United States takes head on. A little bit like Canada, although Britain is even more industrialized and powerful.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM

142 posts, read 442,903 times
When in recent history have the US been anti-Britain?

I've travelled all over the States and have found the vast majority of Americans to be incredibly welcoming. In fact, i'd say that out of all the countries i've visited, Americans are the friendliest bunch i've met.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Buy it off the internet?
I bought mine direct from a flag manufacturer whose plant was based in my home town.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Why are the Americans so psyched about the wedding!? The only reason im happy for it is becasue its been made a holiday!
I wouldn't say we all really care that much. Many of us don't care at all, or don't even know, and I've seen a few be annoyed.

However wedding shows have a certain popularity in the US. So any big wedding gets some excitement in the US, not just the Royals. Chelsea Clinton's wedding was pretty thoroughly covered with discussion of who was and wasn't invited. Mostly it seems all very silly, but there are times when I'm discouraged by all the bad news in the world and something silly is appreciated. I think many feel that way.

The other thing is that, for a long-established Republic, Americans like royalty and the British royalty are maybe seen as the most "Relational." (Possibly being a Republic is why we like it, it just looks like some romantic foreign deal. Although I don't know if other long-established Republics, like the Swiss or the Icelandic, are as interested in royals as us) I'm wondering if, when America becomes more Hispanic, Spanish royalty will be bigger but I have a sense it won't. Anyway many girls like to dream of a royal wedding and some of our traditional fairy-tales encourage that. Boys I don't think are as into it, but there is some fascination with being a King and having others admire you just for being you. The King's Speech won the Oscar and the director described it as a "Triad of Man Love", I'm thinking he meant Platonic or I hope so as I think he had a wife, so it might have more than archetypal feminine appeal. Granted it's a British film, but I think the Oscar voters are largely American.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times
Quote:
Buy it off the internet?
Heres a better question. Where do the Middle east and other people that burn the American flag get them from?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM

469 posts, read 970,214 times
I have ocassion to chat with and meet many people from the U.K., being from Memphis, a big music vacation destination for them. Everyone I've met is delightful and has great affection for the U.S. We look forward to meeting more here every year. The bond is there as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Heres a better question. Where do the Middle east and other people that burn the American flag get them from?
I bet they have a cottage industry making flags just for burning ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

I'm wondering if, when America becomes more Hispanic, Spanish royalty will be bigger but I have a sense it won't.
The King of Spain has visited New Mexico a couple of times in recent years and the majority of northern New Mexico's Hispanics identify with Spain more than Mexico. That said, If you walk up to someone in a NM city like Albuquerque or Santa Fe and say out of the blue,

"Who's the Queen?"

999/1000 (or more) will say, "Elizabeth".

Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM

117 posts, read 160,453 times
Lol Americans doesnt care enough about the UK to hate the British. I can not think of one instance where the British people/UK where evre brought up into any type of covesation Ive had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.