Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM

92 posts, read 180,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
dc isn't really smaller than philly. it's msa is about philly's msa size and its csa is bigger than philly's although i think ny/philly will become one csa next census.
i was talking about compared to nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM

65 posts, read 212,990 times
DC has a high crime rate, higher even than New York. Per capita. Outlying areas of MD and Va are a good possibility. NYC has a very high cost of living. So does Georgetown in DC, and that is the only place in DC I would live in. Why not live in an outlying town, there is usually good mass transit into the city.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the violent crime rate for DC is 9, property crime is 6. On same scale for nyc, violent crime is 6, property crime 3. The national average for violent and property crimes is 4.
Adreana

Last edited by adreana; 03-01-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,367 times
DC is a fun area and very beautiful and so is NYC. Weather wise DC is a little more forgiving.

I love NYC and have been there countless times, mostly as a kid and even spent a quick year of my life just outside the city in Stamford, CT. Personally, I think it is getting a little too crowded. If you want to live in the city itself, make sure you can spend money and lots of it. It is an expensive city to live in.

I go to DC at least a weekend every year and love it every time. If I had to choose right now, I would pick DC area and live in Virginia. I love the red brick and slightly warmer temperatures and have yet to explore the whole area.

You can't go wrong with either choice!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
DC could be a good city but it doesn't have the critical mass needed I think in order to be a truly pen-ultimate urban experience. DC has lots of great things like great museums, great theatre, great a lot of things but NYC has all of that and more if you like bars and venues it is great.

I think NYC would be safer because DC is the Capital of all government stuff in America and it would a target for terrorists, and while NYC also would be a big target I think it would be less even though 9/11 happened there.

However, if you want more for your money then DC would be better. However if you're very rich or somehow you can provide well for yourself and your family financially (like if you make $200,000 or more a year) then NYC is definitely for you. It really depends on what you want. However I think if you want to raise a family then DC would be better unless your very rich then NYC would be a good choice.

Just FYI: penultimate means "next to last" so I really don't think you meant to describe NYC that way. Scratch off the "pen-" and you've got it right.

I agree that DC gives more for the money as well as smaller crowds and cleaner. But on the other hand, it doesn't have that energy that NYC has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
DC has a high crime rate, higher even than New York. Per capita. Outlying areas of MD and Va are a good possibility. NYC has a very high cost of living. So does Georgetown in DC, and that is the only place in DC I would live in. Why not live in an outlying town, there is usually good mass transit into the city.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the violent crime rate for DC is 9, property crime is 6. On same scale for nyc, violent crime is 6, property crime 3. The national average for violent and property crimes is 4.
Adreana
There are a lot of areas in the District besides Georgetown where crime is not such an issue. Northwest DC along Wisconsin Ave, Connecticut Ave, Massachusetts Ave for example.

The concept of "outlying town" in the DC suburbs (MD and VA) is different from the northeast. There aren't that many true towns with an urban or semi-urban feel. Virginia especially is lots of suburban sprawl and traffic-choked roads. Probably not what someone who's ideal lifestyle is urban DC or NYC would care for.

I've lived in DC, live in Alexandria VA now, and have only visited NYC. I really like NYC, but man, there are so many people and it's definitely more expensive. I know a lot of people in the DC area who take trips to NYC several times a year for shows, galleries, shopping, etc. I think that's how I would do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.