Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it Make a Difference or not?
Yes 33 73.33%
No 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,261,681 times

Advertisements

The names are cool, but the borders are not. It would make more sense to divide states up on more natural borderlines, IMO. There are also some cohesive areas that would be split between 2 or even 3 states in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,637 times
I cant tell, but it looks like one of the lines runs through the Tulsa area. Splitting that doesn't make sense in infrastructure or otherwise. I wonder if there are any other good size cities that would be messed with by going to that map.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM

437 posts, read 919,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would love for the Texaplex to be its own state (DFW to Houston to San Antonio though Austin back to DFW). The rest of the state (minus the Rio Grande Valley) sucks. The far right political views of the rest of the state totally screw the major cities over. Im not saying the majors are liberal, but they are more moderate.

Funny, a colleague and I were just discussing this earlier today. We (as West Texans) would also be happy with arrangement. Actually, we would like for Texas to be divided in half just west of the I-35 corridor. West Texas would keep all revenues from its rich oil, gas and wind resources and would be permitted to govern ouselves without interference from liberals in the rest of the state (who, in our opinion, suck).

Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM

37,734 posts, read 40,776,995 times
It's too expensive and the rationale for it isn't presented.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:09 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
That's the stupidest looking map Ive ever seen. A 5th grade class could have been assigned to each draw a new map of the USA, and if this guy handed in his map along with the others, I'd be hard pressed to guess which one was drawn by an adult.

It's like school girls sitting around thinking of names for their unborn babies, and writing the babies names with little hearts over the I's. This "professor" just wanted to use those cute names he thought up.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,901,686 times
This idea will never work, particularly in the East where people's identity with their State is as old as the Republic itself (which is less true I've observed the farther west you go).

I do however like some of the new State names:

Bitterroot

Cochise

Superior

Cascade

Mackinac

Kennebec

Susquehanna

Big Horn

Shawnee (Though it really should be Sequoyah)

Mohawk

Osage

Kodiak

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Whoa! Really does a number on PA, doesn't it?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
It sure doesn't benefit Florida. Florida would trade the Redneck Riviera for just back wood redneck in Southern Georgia. At least with the panhandle, Florida benefits from the resort towns. It doesn't appear that Florida...err....Biscayne would even pick up Savannah. If you're going to give Southern Georgia, at the very least include Savannah!

As for what "was" the majority of North Carolina (now Albemarle) the big losses are Charlotte and Asheville. What "Albemarle" gains is much more coast line with both Hampton Roads and Myrtle Beach in addition to the Southern Virginia counties that are, in fact, part of the Triangle's and Triad's TV markets anyway. I'd say that the population would be a wash with the additions and subtractions.

The new "Piedmont" state is really hardly anything more than the current bloated Metro Atlanta CSA.

The new "Carolina" is a strange shape to me and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Charlotte would be the big city of the state by far but placed very decentralized in it. I think that would be a problem.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,261,681 times
The only interesting thing I can get out of this (trying to get passed the very odd boundary lines) would be, what would the new capitals be of these states? Some of these new states would have an existing capital that would probably remain...but then there are some with 2 capitals or no capitals?

Seward - Fairbanks.
Kodiak - Juneau.
Kilauea - Honolulu.
Cascade - Olympia or Salem? Or perhaps Portland, due to it's more central location.
El Dorado - Sacramento.
San Gabriel - Los Angeles?
Bitterroot - Boise.
Bonneville - Salt Lake City.
Cochise - Phoenix or Santa Fe? Phoenix is obviously a lot larger...but Santa Fe is cooler.
San Luis - Denver.
Bighorn - Billings. It looks like Helena is just across the border in Bitterroot.
Dakota - Bismarck or Pierre? My guess would be Bismarck.
Platte - Lincoln? Topeka? Perhaps a new capital in Kansas City or Omaha?
Shawnee - Oklahoma City.
Alamo - Austin.
Bayou - Baton Rouge or Jackson? Tough call.
Ozark - Adding Memphis means adding the biggest city...but Little Rock is already a capital.
Osage - Jefferson City and Springfield are already capitals...but St. Louis provides a nice central location.
Prairie - Des Moines.
Superior - St. Paul.
Dearborn - Madison is already a capital, but this state was obviously made for Chicago.
Wabash - Indianapolis.
Cumberland - Nashville.
Talladego - Montgomery.
Biscayne - Tallahassee.
Piedmont - Atlanta.
Carolina - Charlotte is obviously the new big city, but Columbia already has the building...much like the situation with Ozark.
Abermarle - Raleigh.
Appalachia - Charleston.
Erie - Columbus.
Mackinac - Lansing.
Chesapeake - Richmond or Annapolis? Richmond is the larger city, so I guess it would win.
Allegheny - Pittsburgh or Cleveland? Tough call.
Susquehanna - It looks like Harrisburg and Trenton are in there...just barely. Philly as a compromise?
Hudson - Albany or Hartford?
Mohawk - Syracuse, Rochester, or Buffalo? Rochester is between the two, so it would seem to be a logical choice.
Plymouth - 3 capitals in 1 state. lol. Sucks to be Providence and Concord.
Kennebec - Montpelier or Augusta...both are tiny.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Yeah, splitting Alaska in 2 parts is stupid o_o lol
Why is it stupid to split a state 1/5 the size of the entire continental US into 2 parts? There are certainly major differences in culture and need in the southern vs. northern areas of the state. The southern portion is more like the United States, with the big city of Anchorage, and the capitol of Juneau, while the northern part is basically Indian territory. The northern part would definitely be better off if it could lobby for its own needs than if it were tied in with the cities in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.