U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Need I say more than the title? Here is my personal vote...having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I was raised on tap water basically for the first 16 or so years of my life and never had any complaints about St. Louis' tap water. Did not taste too much different from pure water. The worst tap water I've ever tasted would have to be in Florida....it tasted like salt water which had gone sour....Cleveland also does not have great tap water, nor does Alexandria, LA. I don't know what it is about the tap water in ST. Louis, they just know how to make it good. But I have I must confess being more of a "pure" person myself simply for the fact that I like pure water Enough of my babbling...what is your vote for the cities with the best tap water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,903 posts, read 7,284,640 times
Reputation: 464
Detroit system water is good, but the pipes are old. The one serving the western suburbs flooded I-96 last week.

Champaign-Urbana here has excellent water, due to the underground aquifier. It's actually been rated number one continually
by whatever national organization of public water systems exist. (don't be lazy like me tonight, run a Google search)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,960,217 times
Reputation: 2129
Louisville has very good tasting tap water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Reputation: 1668
I don't know what it is, I'm thinking it is because its the water I've been drinking since I was born so I'm used to it, but when I travel and come home to good old unglamorous "city of Chicago tap water", I'm happy to have a large glass of the stuff.

I've never been much for bottled water though, if I end up with a bottle of the stuff on my desk, I usually just fill it up over and over from the tap until the cleaning staff throws it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM
940
 
13,789 posts, read 7,325,521 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Need I say more than the title? Here is my personal vote...having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I was raised on tap water basically for the first 16 or so years of my life and never had any complaints about St. Louis' tap water. Did not taste too much different from pure water. The worst tap water I've ever tasted would have to be in Florida....it tasted like salt water which had gone sour....Cleveland also does not have great tap water, nor does Alexandria, LA. I don't know what it is about the tap water in ST. Louis, they just know how to make it good. But I have I must confess being more of a "pure" person myself simply for the fact that I like pure water Enough of my babbling...what is your vote for the cities with the best tap water?
Hey ajf131, you'll appreciate this link concerning tap water in different cities, and the winner overall for 2007. Maybe you've seen this already though...

http://www.usmayors.org/75thAnnualMe...se_062507b.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
 
606 posts, read 2,778,827 times
Reputation: 134
I heard Detroit had like the best tap water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I don't know what it is, I'm thinking it is because its the water I've been drinking since I was born so I'm used to it, but when I travel and come home to good old unglamorous "city of Chicago tap water", I'm happy to have a large glass of the stuff.

I've never been much for bottled water though, if I end up with a bottle of the stuff on my desk, I usually just fill it up over and over from the tap until the cleaning staff throws it away.
I actually think you might be onto something, j33. The water we've been drinking since we were born may have just kicked into our taste buds before we were even old enough to remember....especially since Chicago's tap water may have tasted a bit funny to me...it's been awhile since I've been to Chicago though so I can't tell you for sure. but then again...we all have different taste buds...so who knows...I would kind of be surprised if anybody complained about St. Louis' tap water though...man...to come home to that water after the nasty water in Cleveland...I used to drink gallons of it whenever I came back from visiting my relatives in Cleveland because all I really drink is water, and I basically limited myself to less than two glasses during my visit there. THank god my grandmother got a filter though...now I can go to Cleveland without having to spend tons on bottled water or having to not drink anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Hey ajf131, you'll appreciate this link concerning tap water in different cities, and the winner overall for 2007. Maybe you've seen this already though...

http://www.usmayors.org/75thAnnualMe...se_062507b.pdf
I KNEW ST. LOUIS WOULD BE ON THAT LIST....that really does prove it then I guess. Boy am i grateful to be raised in a city with such fine tap water. Cleveland I think needs to hook its water lines up to Toledo's...because their water tastes like absolute CRAP. I would imagine that both Toledo and Cleveland get their water from Lake Erie. St. Louis I am not sure where it gets its water from....probably either the Mississippi or the Missouri River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Reputation: 1668
Good for St. Louis. I don't seem to remember their water though (I've only visited a couple of times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
 
284 posts, read 1,566,029 times
Reputation: 190
I didn't notice Salt Lake City on the list. Didn't it just win on some morning news show? I think Artesia, NM has wonderful water, but Artesia is probably too little to make anyone's radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top