Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM

15 posts, read 34,583 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've enjoyed reading people's opinions on various American cities. I grew up in Honolulu, HI and currently live in a small city in Japan, right outside of Tokyo...so yes, I have been around. I'm moving to Indy to live with my fiancee in the beginning of the year. I went to visit this spring and absolutely LOVED it. I really don't get why people are guzzling on the haterade when it comes to Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalChic View Post
Hello. I've enjoyed reading people's opinions on various American cities. I grew up in Honolulu, HI and currently live in a small city in Japan, right outside of Tokyo...so yes, I have been around. I'm moving to Indy to live with my fiancee in the beginning of the year. I went to visit this spring and absolutely LOVED it. I really don't get why people are guzzling on the haterade when it comes to Indy.
Yeah, Indianapolis seems to kind of bizarrely elicit some sort of weird hatred in these forums for whatever reason. It is odd. (St. Louis also seems to get a very polarizing response).

I like Indy alot. It is close to Chicago. It is a pretty darn nice town in itself. Its got the NBA and the NFL. Its Downtown is pretty nice. Best of all, for a nice city like Indy, its housing is some of the cheapest and most affordable (southern-like prices) in the Midwest.

I like Indy alot. I would easily live there.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM

607 posts, read 2,976,629 times
I don't know why people pick on it either, probably cause it doesn't get much development, no waterfront, and in the heart of , well a pretty boring state, Indiana.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,367,217 times
Indianapolis probably gets a bad rap because it does not measure up to the size of other metros in the Midwest. Columbus I've always thought gets a similar bad rap because it is a medium-sized metro situated in between two large metros, Cleveland and Cincinnati. Indy is situated between the much larger metros of Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit, so I would imagine that it is most likely people from the surrounding cities that give it a bad rap because it probably wouldn't seem to measure up to their metros. I can tell you that that was how I've felt every time I visit Indianapolis. But it is still a great city. I think the biggest reason might be the close proximity to Chicago. Every city in the Midwest that is close to Chicago has gotten some type of a bad rap to it, whether it be St. Louis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Detroit, or Cincinnati.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-24-2007 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,246,033 times
I dont mind Indy, I just hate the Colts.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,064,287 times
I don't like it because it is not near any water, too car orientated, way too spread out, and being the foodie that I am, their restaurant scene is awful (dominated by the chains).

Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 PM

607 posts, read 2,976,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I don't like it because it is not near any water, too car orientated, way too spread out, and being the foodie that I am, their restaurant scene is awful (dominated by the chains).
that is a good reason, i hate spread out cities, hate chains, and I like walkable cities with good transit.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:12 PM

554 posts, read 2,497,593 times
I'm wondering this as well.

I know it's lacking in public transportation, but that will improve as the city grows obviously.. Crime has been going up, but that's true for many areas of the country.

Compared to other cities, Indy does have good shopping, and that will only improve as more people move to the region (more people, more money).

A lot of people think of Indy as sprawled out, but Indianapolis does have it's dense neighborhoods. Some of the city may be sprawled, but that's not true for the whole city. It's not what you'd think. Sure, some of the architecture may be a little bland, but I mean it's not NYC or Chicago.

Indy does have a waterfront.. it's on the White River. There are reservoirs in the suburbs.

Instead of bashing on a city you've never been to, you should at least visit before you make assumptions about the city just because it's in Indiana.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,064,287 times
I've spent loads of time in Indianapolis. I had friends that lived in the Broadripple neighborhood and I've spent many evenings in their home on weekends away from Chicago. My opinions on Indianapolis were formed from my numerous visits to that city. I'm a fan of the older denser cities, c'mon, I live in Chicago and often vacation and visit family in places like nyc and boston, those sorts of places are in my blood, I don't like the newer sprawled out places, they feel weird to me, and don't feel like cities, I am allowed that prerogative. I do not like the layout or feel of Indianapolis, and in my 20+ times visiting that city, I think I've developed a feel for the place.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:30 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,367,217 times
My problem with Indianapolis is its landscape. Flat and not very many trees. I like a lot of trees and hills as well as TRUE waterfronts. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and St. Louis all have these characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.