Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,481,277 times

Advertisements

Oh please, like the ocean is any better.

Floating trash pile in Pacific, twice the size of Texas

Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, if you think all the oil and dispersants went away you are crazy

Atlantic Garbage Patch. There are five total garbage patches in the world's oceans... that we know about.

Article on world's oceanic trash.

Ha ha, show me a large body of water that us humans haven't polluted and I will be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 AM

171 posts, read 324,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Oh please, like the ocean is any better.

Floating trash pile in Pacific, twice the size of Texas

Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, if you think all the oil and dispersants went away you are crazy

Atlantic Garbage Patch. There are five total garbage patches in the world's oceans... that we know about.

Article on world's oceanic trash.

Ha ha, show me a large body of water that us humans haven't polluted and I will be impressed.
This thread isn't about the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. It's about the Great Lakes.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM

643 posts, read 1,118,639 times
I think it's just to do with the fact everyone knows about the East and West coast and not many people exactly know about Lake Michigan etc..

I wouldn't say underrated, just less known this could be because it hasn't got major cities on it.

Last edited by LondonUSA; 03-05-2011 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,487,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
The beaches on Lake Erie in Ohio are not that nice so I would say that they are not underrated.
Erie has probably the worst beaches overall out of all the Great Lakes.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,487,940 times
Personally, I don't think anything can beat the west coast in the usa when it comes to beaches.

Edit: except hawaii

Overall, I'd say the Great Lakes are underrated. There are some lovely beaches with crystal clean water. You just don't hear a lot about them.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,557,933 times
Here's what I'm not seeing discussed: The Great Lakes system is unique in ALL THE WORLD. There are dozens of major ocean coastlines around the world, but there is only one Great Lakes system - it is the largest, most geographically extensive system of large freshwater shoreline on the planet. There are larger freshwater lakes (such as Baikal and also some lakes within Canada) but not an entire inland freshwater "sea" like this.

I think people in America take freshwater lakes for granted... go to a country like India which has virtually no real lakes of any size, for example. America is the only country on earth where something that would be called a "lake" anywhere else is often called a "pond" (as in the Adirondacks where a "pond" can be several square miles in area!)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 AM

91,973 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Here's what I'm not seeing discussed: The Great Lakes system is unique in ALL THE WORLD. There are dozens of major ocean coastlines around the world, but there is only one Great Lakes system - it is the largest, most geographically extensive system of large freshwater shoreline on the planet. There are larger freshwater lakes (such as Baikal and also some lakes within Canada) but not an entire inland freshwater "sea" like this.

I think people in America take freshwater lakes for granted... go to a country like India which has virtually no real lakes of any size, for example. America is the only country on earth where something that would be called a "lake" anywhere else is often called a "pond" (as in the Adirondacks where a "pond" can be several square miles in area!)
Very true and people don't realize how unique the Great Lakes are.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:

The OP raises a pretty good question.

Jerome, your from Upstate I think. We have both Lake and Ocean beaches in this state. How would you (or maybe CK if he pops in) compare Lake Ontario beaches to Long Island beaches, or maybe Cape Cod or the Jersey shore?

I am also wondering why I hear about Lake Ontario but never Lake Erie?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

91,973 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The OP raises a pretty good question.

Jerome, your from Upstate I think. We have both Lake and Ocean beaches in this state. How would you (or maybe CK if he pops in) compare Lake Ontario beaches to Long Island beaches, or maybe Cape Cod or the Jersey shore?

I am also wondering why I hear about Lake Ontario but never Lake Erie?
From what I know, i'd say that Lake Ontario beaches are less populated and tend to be know for their campgrounds whereas Cape Cod(my only experience of the other areas mentioned), seems to have way more people and is known to more people. We also have plenty of other lake beaches on smaller lakes up here. So, that could be why Lake Ontario beaches don't get too crowded. Then, you have places like Plattsburgh, which has a free city beach on Lake Champlain for city residents. So, there are plenty of options.

BTW-Sylvan Beach on Oneida Lake would be similar to a Seaside Heights on the Jersey Shore.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM

3,692 posts, read 5,934,858 times
Quote:
Rift Valley Lakes of East Africa say hi!

The two systems are very different, but the Rift Valley Lakes are incredible in many ways. For one, they include non-freshwater lakes with no river outlets, and are split across a few different river systems (instead, they all occupy a common tectonic feature). The variety of climates and landscapes is unrivaled--there are places with mountains that rise thousands of feet, straight our of the lake.

A head-to-head comparison would actually be really interesting. They are of comparable water volumes, I think (the Great Lakes have larger surface areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.