U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM

10,645 posts, read 9,484,518 times
Texas isn't the best place for anyone on social services as the state doesn't typically support them with state budget. In actuality the state is overwhelmingly anti-social service.

You might check out North Carolina. The towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro are good places to look as they offer a low cost of living, excellent health care via the Duke or UNC Hospitals complexes, walkability, FREE PUBLIC TRANSIT within Chapel Hill and Carrboro, Triangle Transit offers a Chapel Hill to Duke U Med Center route, and a liberal population that supports social services for the disadvantaged and plenty of assistance is available. The area has a moderate four season climate and low temperatures are rarely severe. It is my understanding that those on Medicaid are accepted at UNC Hospitals and any unpaid balance is eligible for write-off as a "Charity Case". World-famous Duke University Medical Center which is just up the road in Durham provides the same type of exemptions minus the residency requirements which might be your best bet for immediate care.

What Duke Will Do for You - DukeHealth.org
About Us —
Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit
Maps and Schedules 405-Durham-Chapel Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,515 times
[quote=kyle19125;18218497]Texas isn't the best place for anyone on social services as the state doesn't typically support them with state budget. In actuality the state is overwhelmingly anti-social service.

I DO apologize for not knowing how to do the quote thing correctly.

kyle - can you please tell me where you got that Texas info from? I would really like to see a rating of the states kind of thing and I searched for it but found none.

Thanks for the NC info. I sure would prefer someplace that just didn't get the cold that the NC cities get.

Anyone else who can furnish some firsthand info would sure be appreciated, too.

Please keep it coming, folks thank you

Unread 03-12-2011, 07:34 AM

409 posts, read 343,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
And there are no replies, proving my suspicion that this site is weighted toward the more well to do among us, and there are too many realtors making decisions about the site, as well. Sorry, but this is how alot of us less fortunate feel. City-data is still a good site, real helpful. But I see responses by realtors that seem to be putting down people who speak negatively about some of their cities. Negative speak doesn't encourage home buying. However, we all need the truth. Very good site over all.
As for the question, I am not that informed, but generally, from my experience smaller cities/ towns are less expensive, unfortunately, you pay a premium for warmer climes, but do check out Florida, Texas, desert areas elsewhere where there are smaller towns. I hope some more informed people answer your queries. We all age, and health problems can happen to anyone. Your questions are most pertinent to most of us.
Adreana
Just a comment on Florida (since I live here), make sure you avoid SOUTH Florida. Very expensive. The northern Fla towns can be affordable, but have a high unemployment rate. But if you are on disability and don't need to search for full-time work, def consider northern Fla.

Unread 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 1,738 times
I live and work in Texas... in Houston to be exact. (Came here from the NE) The weather is definitely friendlier, the cost of living is much, much lower and we have the Medical Center here which is one of the best in the world. You have it all right here. You don't necessarily have to live in Houston, there are a lot of nearby areas that are just as wonderful. I'm not sure about the low-cost health care right off the top of my head but once you make a decision about moving here that's something we can also look into. I'm so sorry for all you're going through, life can be very challenging sometimes when we least expect it.

Unread 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM

657 posts, read 412,464 times
[quote=jakelove;18222767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Texas isn't the best place for anyone on social services as the state doesn't typically support them with state budget. In actuality the state is overwhelmingly anti-social service.

I DO apologize for not knowing how to do the quote thing correctly.

kyle - can you please tell me where you got that Texas info from? I would really like to see a rating of the states kind of thing and I searched for it but found none.

Thanks for the NC info. I sure would prefer someplace that just didn't get the cold that the NC cities get.

Anyone else who can furnish some firsthand info would sure be appreciated, too.

Please keep it coming, folks thank you
city data has information about cost of living - just look at the site proper "city-data.com" and type in the city you want to research. C-D frequently references Sperling's best places, which is a bare bones demographics aggregator by zip code, and has a cost of living feature.

Best of luck to you - random turns of fortune are rough, NONE of us are prepared for them, especially these days. I wish you the best, and hope you let us know how you make out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.