U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,848 times

Advertisements

howdy,
This is sincere. I have had the worst things happen to me for the past 5 years. I am dealing with chronic illness and cleaned out financially. I never could have ever imagined this happening to me.

Have searched posts but must be doing something wrong because I don't find much. Any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for ideas ASAP for states and cities that are "kinder" for folks like me. I can't handle the cold anymore and I have hated Ohio for years.

Any serious replies would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 PM

410 posts, read 699,499 times
Bump...as a cancer survivor on a meager salary, I would like to know this, too....

Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM

65 posts, read 189,172 times
And there are no replies, proving my suspicion that this site is weighted toward the more well to do among us, and there are too many realtors making decisions about the site, as well. Sorry, but this is how alot of us less fortunate feel. City-data is still a good site, real helpful. But I see responses by realtors that seem to be putting down people who speak negatively about some of their cities. Negative speak doesn't encourage home buying. However, we all need the truth. Very good site over all.
As for the question, I am not that informed, but generally, from my experience smaller cities/ towns are less expensive, unfortunately, you pay a premium for warmer climes, but do check out Florida, Texas, desert areas elsewhere where there are smaller towns. I hope some more informed people answer your queries. We all age, and health problems can happen to anyone. Your questions are most pertinent to most of us.
Adreana

Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,856,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
And there are no replies, proving my suspicion that this site is weighted toward the more well to do among us, and there are too many realtors making decisions about the site, as well. Sorry, but this is how alot of us less fortunate feel. City-data is still a good site, real helpful. But I see responses by realtors that seem to be putting down people who speak negatively about some of their cities. Negative speak doesn't encourage home buying. However, we all need the truth. Very good site over all.
As for the question, I am not that informed, but generally, from my experience smaller cities/ towns are less expensive, unfortunately, you pay a premium for warmer climes, but do check out Florida, Texas, desert areas elsewhere where there are smaller towns. I hope some more informed people answer your queries. We all age, and health problems can happen to anyone. Your questions are most pertinent to most of us.
Adreana
How does that prove your suspicion? This topic has been up for all of 4 and a half hours.

Plus, 'healthcare' and 'inexpensive' are usually not in the same sentence unless 'is not' is in between them. I don't think it has anything to do with "negative speak" because it discourages home buyers. Sure, there are realtors on this site, but most of us are not in the real estate business.

As to answering the question...I would say try somewhere in the south or west (not coast) with a large concentration of medical facilities. That doesn't guarantee cheap care, but the general cost of living should be lower.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM

65 posts, read 189,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
How does that prove your suspicion? This topic has been up for all of 4 and a half hours.

Plus, 'healthcare' and 'inexpensive' are usually not in the same sentence unless 'is not' is in between them. I don't think it has anything to do with "negative speak" because it discourages home buyers. Sure, there are realtors on this site, but most of us are not in the real estate business.

As to answering the question...I would say try somewhere in the south or west (not coast) with a large concentration of medical facilities. That doesn't guarantee cheap care, but the general cost of living should be lower.
Four and a half hours seemed like a long enough time to me, but perhaps you are right. I am relatively new. That isn't the only indication to me of what I've said. As well the four or so state sites I was on all had realtors, and some of the sites had realtor moderators. There is a site here for realtors and real estate. You say 'most of us aren't realtors'. Who is 'us'? I am speaking of more senior members who are active and also among the moderators. I think there are a good number of realtors in that group. As I said, I think it is a good site, but I do think people with interests in certain outcomes should openly be identified as to their profession under their names. For ex:their username and under that, "realtor".
Adreana

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM

639 posts, read 1,117,581 times
How about Texas?
Houston is a very cheap city and theres tons of medical stuff there, you just need a car tho.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM

180 posts, read 452,950 times
Texas is the best place for warmth and affordability

If you don't want a big city like Houston, check out west Texas. Lubbock, Abilene, and San Angelo are all cheap with decent health care (especially Lubbock for health care). Cold snaps are short and never too brutal, and snow is very limited.

If you can stand a slightly more cold, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri are all inexpensive states to live in. All have better winters than Ohio.

I also lived in Owensboro, Kentucky, and rent there is very cheap and they are expanding their hospital and medical services as we speak.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
How about Raleigh or elsewhere in the NC Triangle area? Not sure how the area rates for medical care, so this is just an educated guess, but my educated guess is that medical care may be good with the major universities in the area. Less expensive than some of the big Northeastern and West Coast cities. Not usually really warm during the winter, but substantially milder than Ohio.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM

766 posts, read 1,853,066 times
You say you can't stand Ohio anymore, but Cleveland does have some of the best health care in the world, including Metrohealth and St. Jude's which are some of the best hospitals out there for less well off people and people on government assistance. We also have some nice affordable housing, including government assisted housing for disabled people.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 12,848 times
[quote=cdc1211;18212147]Texas is the best place for warmth and affordability

If you don't want a big city like Houston, check out west Texas. Lubbock, Abilene, and San Angelo are all cheap with decent health care (especially Lubbock for health care). Cold snaps are short and never too brutal, and snow is very limited.

Thank you. I need WARM. Can anyone speak more in depth about availability of low-cost health care for the poor in Texas in general and Houston specifically?

Please feel free to supply me with any links. I am not thinking real well now and could use all the help I can get. Bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or