U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM

10,116 posts, read 5,513,126 times

Advertisements

Are there a lot of differences between some states ?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM

12,506 posts, read 12,686,433 times
My understanding (and through recent unemployment experience) is that pro-union and/or higher-tax states are more sympathetic than the low-tax/anti-union states which are primarily in the south. To narrow further I would say most of the Northeast States/New England (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont) are probably best.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,419,643 times
Those are also, however, the states where the cost of living is among the highest. One thing that you may get in high-cost/high-benefit states, however, are better Medicaid services. I beleive that there are services covered in NY that aren't in other states.

But lets face it. No matter where you are it sucks to be poor.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 AM

3,766 posts, read 2,054,222 times
welfare benefits are higher in states like Hawaii and California, and lower in places like Mississippi--- but then again, look at the difference in the standard of living between those states. in the end, it pretty much evens out.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,065,422 times
I don't know... But... Minnesota has got to be up there. Such a lefty blue state with hand outs..

That's why you see so many home boys with Illinois plates here.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,204,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I don't know... But... Minnesota has got to be up there. Such a lefty blue state with hand outs..

That's why you see so many home boys with Illinois plates here.
I definitely sense some racism coming from this post . . . the only people I know who are on welfare are white.

Minnesota isn't "lefty blue" either.

I see this topic going downhill very fast.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,766,622 times
New Jersey, New York, and California (with NJ definitely on top)... It's kind of a bad thing really, but I'm not getting into it.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

24,291 posts, read 16,357,122 times
Donít forget those states in the northwest and west, Washington, Oregon and Calif seem to have more social benefits than the states in the southern region, like Miss., Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, N. & S. Carolina and Virginia.

Most blue states (democratic politically) have benefits, most red states (republican) tend to be less socially interested in helping those in need. There tends to be more social services in blue states that provide services for those elderly, young children, poor and needy that live there. Tax rates seem to be higher in the blue states to help cover the needs of others. There are exceptions but thatís what Iím seeing.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,366,786 times
Washington.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM

691 posts, read 1,290,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

Most blue states (democratic politically) have benefits, most red states (republican) tend to be less socially interested in helping those in need. There tends to be more social services in blue states that provide services for those elderly, young children, poor and needy that live there. Tax rates seem to be higher in the blue states to help cover the needs of others. There are exceptions but thatís what Iím seeing.

Actually there are some problems with that statement. Studies show that conservative Republicans give far more to charity then liberal Democrats. That means that conservatives are MORE interested in solving social problems. They happen to use private charities rather which are far more efficient then any governmental program could ever hope to do.

The government is terrible at "providing" social services. It costs far more and is less effective. It also sets dependency into generations of people rather then helping people help themselves. Real charity is getting that person to a place so that they don't need charity anymore (and maybe give the next person some charity). Most government "charity" doesn't help a person get to the place where they don't need it anymore. It starts a cycle where they need it forever. That's hardly charity in my book.

Frankly the helping of people is far too important to be left to the government. The huge amount of government social service have co-opted what private charity once did and still could do. The reason it changed was to gain political power pure and simple. Today they don't want people to be helped because they lose their "voting bloc" (and their jobs) if they actually helped people and solved a problem.

All social services should be done by private charities and organizations that are committed to solving problems. It would be more effective and at a lower cost (not just money) to overall society.

If I were poor and needed help I would look for help from a charity rather then the government. We will never solve social problems until government gets out of charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.