Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,583,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
The list you sent me for the most dangerous neighborhoods is a joke. Ive been to some of those neighborhoods and some of them are not even half as bad as other places in there respective cities. No one respects those lists, there basically made up.
I would say the same thing about the list you posted. That "most dangerous city" list is complete crap. At least at the neighborhood level you have a smaller size better suited for apples to apples comparisons.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,820,295 times
Quote:
Because it's cheap, heres one of the worst hoods in the south. It was actually featured on gangland.
Hidden Valley Charlotte - Google Maps

Not only are the houses ranch style with big yards, trees, driveways and garages. There are woods and football fields in the neighborhood, along with a elementary and high school that serves stricktly the neighborhood kids so they always get to grow up with each other. Also it's off a main through fair with many businesses and 10 minutes from the largest downtown in the state.

I stress to you, this is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city itself, and is majority black, and this is not an isolated case, many hoods in Atlanta are as nice as this one with just as many amenities.

Now go and compare that to any poor black neighborhood anywhere in the midwest or northeast. Many of them resemble third world countries.
I've driven past Hidden Vally many times.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,508,704 times
Quote:
All you proved is that Louisiana THE STATE has the highest crime rate, and comparing states is like comparing countries, the area is just too big. It's useless to compare states because it's impossible to spend time in one day in every city in a state.

Next you went to uneducated and poorest. Do you have any links for that? Sounds like more ignorant accusations.

Are there any southern cities surpassing 30% poverty rate that Camden, ESTL, Detroit, and Cleveland all have?
And are there any southern cities that have areas that look like this?
Oh please, you're spinning this like crazy. It makes no sense to compare states as dangerous but it makes sense to compare an 8.8 square mile city like Camden against a 131 square mile city like Atlanta for example? Comparing cities in this sense is ridiculous because of the size differences, at least compare metro or surrounding areas which actually reflect the reach of a city and make more sense. And for what it's worth, I never really heard of the South as being the most dangerous part of the country, even on this forum, and I never thought of it that way either.

And I'm sure there's plenty of hideous and dead looking neighborhoods all over the South, just like anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,484,207 times
Quote:
New Orleans and Memphis.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,267 times
there are plenty of southern neighborhoods that look like that. i've been through a few. i've witnessed ppl selling drugs on the corner, gang graffiti, gangs, etc. in the south.

it is what it is.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,698,485 times
there are a lot of neighborhoods like that in Memphis. I drive past them every day. But I agree with you on some points. Most of what is considered ghetto in Memphis is just ranch style homes with lots of space, nothing that resembles the dense ghettos of the North. Even areas like this are cosidered to be deep into the "hood" but they're not even bad:

memphis tn - Google Maps

That's an areas called Hickory Hill, popularly known as "Hickory Hood" but it doesnt look like the hood

Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,848,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
there are a lot of neighborhoods like that in Memphis. I drive past them every day. But I agree with you on some points. Most of what is considered ghetto in Memphis is just ranch style homes with lots of space, nothing that resembles the dense ghettos of the North. Even areas like this are cosidered to be deep into the "hood" but they're not even bad:

memphis tn - Google Maps

That's an areas called Hickory Hill, popularly known as "Hickory Hood" but it doesnt look like the hood
"Hoods" can be deceptive; the so-called "bad' areas in LA are often single-family homes with wide palm-tree-lined streets, so a tourist could easily be fooled; in many NE cities, it's quite obvious when you have entered a tough area..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,267 times
IMO its quite obvious when you enter a rough southern neighborhood as well. tourist or not.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM

38 posts, read 53,568 times
Quote:
All you proved is that Louisiana THE STATE has the highest crime rate, and comparing states is like comparing countries, the area is just too big. It's useless to compare states because it's impossible to spend time in one day in every city in a state.

Next you went to uneducated and poorest. Do you have any links for that? Sounds like more ignorant accusations.

Are there any southern cities surpassing 30% poverty rate that Camden, ESTL, Detroit, and Cleveland all have?
The Poorest States In The U.S. (PHOTOS)

The southern states are the least educated, this is the primary root cause for higher obesity rates. They also have higher teen pregnancy rates, more smokers, etc. Other reasons are staple diets in the region consist of a lot of high fat, fried foods and lack of exercise. Combine this with the lack of education that these things are bad you have a recipe for a lot of obese people.

United States and States - R1501. Percent of People Who Have Completed High School (Includes Equivalency)

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,261,508 times
Quote:
You really should look at some of the race maps of the US.
Race maps of America | Mail Online

By far, the most segregated cities are in the northeast and midwest, and the most integrated ones are mostly found in the south.
I'm white and I feel much more comfortable in black neighborhoods in the south than I do in Chicago. I can go to black neighborhoods here and people don't really notice me or seem to care. When I look someone in the eye, instead of being mugged I usually get a smile, a waive or a nod. If I start a conversation with someone 9/10 they will continue it and we will have a very happy nice interaction, people will open the doors for me and say bless you when I sneeze.

When I went to SS Chi almost every person I saw threw angry looks my way, almost every male under 25 mugged me with anger like he was trying to scare me, and almost everyone I came in contact with refused to even talk to me unless they were hurling an insult in my direction or subtly trying to hurt my self esteem. I felt like this is an area where I could be attacked or even murdered just because of my skin color. My friends who are black have had similar experiences in white neighborhoods in Chi and in the south.
Are we supposed to feel sorry for you because people didn't talk to you and make you feel all warm and fuzzy? What does hat have to do with crime?

You are lying. Why can I tell this? People here don't go insulting you just because, so either you really pissed them off, or hey didn't say anything. If a black person goes into a predominantly neighborhood they don't get heckled or attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.