U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,623,078 times

Advertisements

Census: South second to West in diversity | Atlanta Business Chronicle

The South is the second most racially and ethnically diverse U.S. region after the West, according a Washington Post analysis of just-released 2010 U.S. Census information. The figures also show blacks in the South are increasingly leaving the city for the suburbs, and Hispanic growth for the first time was higher than both blacks and whites throughout much of the South. The U.S. Census Bureau is expected to release more new info about Georgia this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 AM

964 posts, read 2,048,314 times
Not a surprise. Along with the factors you mentioned, I think (here in NC), the return of African-Americans to the cities in the state has accelerated, especially more highly educated African-Americans whose families may have been in the NE or Great Lakes states for more than a generation. And in NC, while Asians remain the smallest demographic, the growth percentage is far higher than any other group. This is definitely visible in the larger cities, especially around the NC Triangle, which seems to be on track to become (per capita, not in raw numbers) the most Asian CSA between Washington and Houston with not very many years.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
I'm guessing the Midwest is the least diverse region in the nation, then the Northeast.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
How many regions are there? Four? If the Montana prairies, the Oregon coast, the Colorado ski country, and the Imperial Valley are all in the same region, how can any characterization of "regions" possibly have any relevance to anything?

I wonder how long it took the Washington Post to "analyze" that breakdown of the nation into four quarters? With data I can find online in 60 seconds, it would take me about two minutes to "analyze" the data and declare one of the four quarters to be the most diverse. Doing the arithmetic in my head.

By the way, is "most diverse" good or bad? Does it mean the most strife and conflict between people of diverse backgrounds in each other's faces, or does it mean the most harmony between people willing to live in the same community? Analyze that.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,207,132 times
One thing I appreciate about the West is that the conversation is not about Whites and Blacks.

In the grand scheme of the West, it never has been. Thank You Jesus.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,146,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm guessing the Midwest is the least diverse region in the nation, then the Northeast.
Midwest and Northeast are more diverse WITHIN the white population: Italians, Poles, Russians, etc.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Midwest and Northeast are more diverse WITHIN the white population: Italians, Poles, Russians, etc.
The south is no slouch when it comes to diversity amongst whites as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 PM

115 posts, read 213,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
is "most diverse" good or bad?
Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or