Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
I think we feel about Russians the same way we feel about most countries... we like the people but don't trust their leaders. I'm sure the same would be said for the United States. There really does need to be some sort of ambassadorship between countries that completely skips the government and allows citizens to interact directly. The language barrier would be the hard part to overcome but once we did that I bet we'd find we have more in common than we think.

The language barrier would not be the issue. Most countries/a lot of countries can speak English whether it be American English or regular etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
My wife and I have a Russian friend locallly. She is a delightful person. Try to get to know the individual before making judgement about the whole group.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM

22 posts, read 42,130 times
as long as they arent Jewish Russians.....I'm fine with them

Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_missouri View Post

AM i detecting a touch of racism?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_missouri View Post
Aren't you the same person on the New York board asking about moving to the area? If that's how you feel...the NYC metro area is not for you.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
I was in diapers during the end of the cold war, so that is not an issue for me - this is just my opinion regarding mono a mono interaction with Russian immigrants over the past 10 years.

Although I did have a good Russian friend in High School, I don't particularly appreciate the Russian males I have run into in the Philadelphia area.

For some reason, they have this conceited, arrogant, mafioso attitude. I understand the Russian mafia is bad, but get over yourselves. The males I've run into have been macho, conceited tough guys - almost like a foreign redneck, but better looking.

What I really don't appreciate is how they compare everything in America to Russia and remark on how much America sucks. Go back from whence you came, then!

I really wish my opinion could change, but, even the women I've run into are conceited and rough. I just don't get their attitudes.

Last edited by Joe84323; 03-26-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
What I really don't appreciate is how they compare everything in America to Russia and remark on how much America sucks. Go back from whence you came, then!
Immigrants in general seem to do that. here in England they come over and complain that we aren't teaching them in their own language and say how crap our country is. This is a generalisation but it seems to happen a lot.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
I would say if there is a problem it would be more with the elderly people that lived in the fear of the cold war for half a century.

I doubt you will see any problems, however.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM

146 posts, read 225,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Do Americans feel any rivalry/tension from the old war or has that all passed?

And what do they think of the Russian spies found in the US?
I was in high school when the Cold War ended...I think, to be perfectly honest, that most Americans don't think that much about Russians anymore. Particularly in comparison to the late 80's and very early 90's.

Certainly some negative stereotypes persist among some...but I would say that the overall attitude is fairly neutral and indifferent.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 PM

63 posts, read 105,148 times
The men are drunks or scoundrels, the women are fat and ugly or beautiful whores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.