Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
And you have lived there all your life and have no idea what you are talking about. I agree with TX but the SE is a huge region....do some research...
I agree............states like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi are not as racist as everyone seems to think. folks in those states learned to live with one another a long time ago. it's states with rapidly changing demographics like CA, FL, AZ or TX that are the least racially accepting from what I've experienced............ Ca is a big state. the whole place isn't like San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
I am another who has experienced the southeast's racial familiarity as a positive in race relations. We are far ahead of most other parts of the country in race relations, simply because of the large minority percentages of our populations. I vote Georgia, from personal experience in 49 states.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I agree............states like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi are not as racist as everyone seems to think. folks in those states learned to live with one another a long time ago. it's states with rapidly changing demographics like CA, FL, AZ or TX that are the least racially accepting from what I've experienced............ Ca is a big state. the whole place isn't like San Francisco
exactly.
Louisiana and mississippi have a huge percentage of non-white population and we have learned to adapt to other cultures and ideas. It doesnt mean it was ever easy or that there arent problems, because people are all different, but in general these two states are very accepting of minorities.
I mean, think about it. If these states were so RACIST then why are there so many minorities living there? Wouldnt they have moved away for fear of persecution?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
exactly.
Louisiana and mississippi have a huge percentage of non-white population and we have learned to adapt to other cultures and ideas. It doesnt mean it was ever easy or that there arent problems, because people are all different, but in general these two states are very accepting of minorities.
I mean, think about it. If these states were so RACIST then why are there so many minorities living there? Wouldnt they have moved away for fear of persecution?
I agree.
Racism is just more common in these two states because there's more interactions between the two races there than anywhere else.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Anyone I've met who has been to, and especially lived in, areas away from the touristy areas of Hawaii will tell you the locals HATE white people!

Some locals hate whites and blacks. Many do not. But Hawaii is not a paradise for mainlanders.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
To a certain extent the question is rather subjective. I've heard awful things about CA and TX, and one could really feel out of place in the South if they aren't White, Black, or Christian. I grew up in NJ as an ethnic/racial and religious minority and had immigrant parents; and even though there were plenty of rough spots here and there, I couldn't imagine growing up elsewhere( especially the South).

From my experience, the least racist state was North Dakota; however, I wouldn't want to live there permenantly or would've wanted to grow up there lol.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Most of the time the white or east Indian people up here slide the money on the counter top back to you whether their customer or sales associate.

It's very rude.

At first I thought it was me but quickly found out it was a racial thing. The white people up here seem themselves as superior so they don't believe in handing back money to minorities, regardless of class or gender.
This is very true. I've had this experience in St. Louis a lot. I've also had this happen in New York City at a hot dog stand (Italian guy) and Chicago at a donut shop (Indian guy). You also can expect bad service at restaurants in pretty much every Northern city if you are Black. I have spent many years traveling between Atlanta, Valdosta, Tallahassee (where I went to FSU), Tampa, and Miami. Got more bad service from Blacks in the South than Whites. Pretty much debunking a lot of stereotypes about "Da Souf".

Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
This is very true. I've had this experience in St. Louis a lot. I've also had this happen in New York City at a hot dog stand (Italian guy) and Chicago at a donut shop (Indian guy). You also can expect bad service at restaurants in pretty much every Northern city if you are Black. I have spent many years traveling between Atlanta, Valdosta, Tallahassee (where I went to FSU), Tampa, and Miami. Got more bad service from Blacks in the South than Whites. Pretty much debunking a lot of stereotypes about "Da Souf".
Yeah when i got to the south I expected Hill billies and people to come after my neck. Low and behold they were extremely polite even the police officers. It left me scratching my head and there where alot of Black people with money legally making a decent living for themselves.

Here in CT and New York I rarely see something like that. Ct is nearly segregated.Most non black or non hispanics live in the hood and their educational system sucks.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
To a certain extent the question is rather subjective. I've heard awful things about CA and TX, and one could really feel out of place in the South if they aren't White, Black, or Christian. I grew up in NJ as an ethnic/racial and religious minority and had immigrant parents; and even though there were plenty of rough spots here and there, I couldn't imagine growing up elsewhere( especially the South).

From my experience, the least racist state was North Dakota; however, I wouldn't want to live there permenantly or would've wanted to grow up there lol.
There seems to be a big discrepancy over TX and CA being racially accepting or not.Half the people on here think those states are racist and thee other half doesn't.

Question is which demographic of people think those states are racist and which demographic of people think its the most racially accepting.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
exactly.
I understand that things have improved significantly on the racial front in these states and in the South since, say, the 1960s. But these states have never ever been "very accepting" of black people.

Quote:
Ever hear of the Great Migration of 1910-1940? Millions of blacks left the South and went North, Midwest and West......A bit of that has reversed, but the character of the black population transformed from mostly Southern to throughout the nation. There was a very legitimate reason for that........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.