Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 PM

976 posts, read 2,231,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I'm not saying that where I live is euphoria. But from my personal experience from being in the midwest; The kind of environment that I'm speaking of is one that wreaks of exclusion, cliquish, and the kind of environment where racial tensions are a lot more tense. What I've seen, harder for people of certain demographics to navigate through. People seem tightly wound up there.

As far as creativity, again from my experience, if someone is different and operates outside of that parochial view that is prevalent there, it just makes for a very toxic place to be.

I've been in and thru the midwest: Indianapolis, Columbus, Chicago (my favorite city of the entire region) St. Louis and Milwaukeee. St. Louis, imo, was by far the worst. It is a place that for me personally, I would not want to raise my family. I'm basing this strictly on my experience(s). What I saw.

Sorry if people are offended, but that's what I saw and how I feel about it.
i guess the ironic thing is that people in the midwest are often accused of being ignorant and untraveled, yet we have people like queen palm who make sweeping judgments about a metropolitan area of about 3 million people based on his observations from an interstate. you, queen palm, are such a cliche.

Last edited by slengel; 03-31-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i guess the ironic thing is that people in the midwest are often accused of being ignorant and untraveled, yet we have people like queen palm who make sweeping judgments about a metropolitan area of about 3 million people based on his observations from an interstate. you, queen palm, are such a cliche.

No, Slengel you are. The problem is that you want to assume that my statements are based on some shallow experience (i.e. driving down the freeway). No, what I stated was based on what I experienced there.

I've been to St. Louis, I've been in St.Louis. Frankly it's one of the worst places (if not the worst) to live in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM

st. louis...the worst place to live in america. i see. well at least we know drama queen palm has obviously not traveled much (ever been to el paso?). another self-important generalization brought to you by none other than city-data!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Slengel,

Look, l'm not here to bash your city. I won't. Cities are more than just their skyscrapers, walkability, and whatever amenities they offer or lack thereof. Those are alot of the more superficial topics of why cities here on City-Data are often misunderstood. The environment of a city, to me is [one of] the most important factors of how a person is able to navigate and survive in a city.

What I saw and experienced in St. Louis, I did not like, and will never go again. That is why I gave my perspective of this topic of why people have fled the midwest. Others may have a different experience.

Please don't take it personal (unless of course, you're part of the problem).

Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 PM

st. louis is not "my" city, i just live here for now. i have lived many places. st. louis is not the best, but it is far from being the worst. making extreme generalizations about places that are far too large to draw conclusions about in one or two visits does not help anyone's credibility. to each his own.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis is not "my" city, i just live here for now. i have lived many places. st. louis is not the best, but it is far from being the worst. making extreme generalizations about places that are far too large to draw conclusions about in one or two visits does not help anyone's credibility. to each his own.
that is your opinion. You are entitled to it. However, I'm not making extreme generalizations. What I've stated was consistant to the region. Moreso the central midwest. St. Louis isn't that large. The region may be, but not StL itself. I've been in, around and thru it. Again, what I speak is based on my experiences there. It is not based on any shallow encounters of just passing thru or "1 or 2 visits".

Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,943,307 times
Quote:
that is your opinion. You are entitled to it. However, I'm not making extreme generalizations. What I've stated was consistant to the region. Moreso the central midwest. St. Louis isn't that large. The region may be, but not StL itself. I've been in, around and thru it. Again, what I speak is based on my experiences there. It is not based on any shallow encounters of just passing thru or "1 or 2 visits".
You state you're not making "extreme generalizations" at the same time you're making the statement that the entire Midwest has high racial tensions, is fully closed-minded, and a terrible place to raise a family. If those are not sweeping, extreme generalizations, I'm not sure what is. It's basically the same if I said that the South is just a bunch of redneck, Nascar-loving racists.

So I'm very curious as to the specifics of your personal experiences and how they would directly support your generalizations.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You state you're not making "extreme generalizations" at the same time you're making the statement that the entire Midwest has high racial tensions, is fully closed-minded, and a terrible place to raise a family. If those are not sweeping, extreme generalizations, I'm not sure what is. It's basically the same if I said that the South is just a bunch of redneck, Nascar-loving racists.

So I'm very curious as to the specifics of your personal experiences and how they would directly support your generalizations.
my thoughts exactly. there is nothing about queen palm's opinion that isn't a sweeping generalization.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Just curious, where did you go in St. Louis, what didn't you like about it, and are you just talking about the city itself? I admit, St. Louis city is probably better for single people, or couples without children, simply because of the schools & crime in many areas. But there are plenty of fine areas for families in Greater St. Louis. I'd say there are more family-friendly areas than not.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

As a native St Louisian, I would like to hear her personal experiences as well.
Interesting that she has not spoken of them, but paints the STL area with a broad brush.
Whats up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.